passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Devil May Cry 5

AndyKurosaki

I’ve used two gold orbs,one against the Goliath boss,the other against that flying woman thing. But I’m not too bothered,as you get a gold orb every day anyhow. And also one when you get ranked “Stylish” by someone when playing “with” someone online. Which I haven’t really gathered the point of. Someone’s name pops up at the side of your screen,but you never see them,or if they have any effect in the mission whatsoever. Then it ends and asks if you want to rank them as “Stylish”. Which I do,despite having no clue why,other than gaining gold orbs.

1 hour ago, Maf said:

Because you suck at the game let me show you how it’s done 

Go get the game then and show me

Mission 19 spoilers

Spoiler

Had to throw in the towel and use a gold orbs. Next time it will be different! ?

When I saw doppelganger I knew there was no way. Even in the DmC fight doppelganger just makes it really hard to follow and manage both threats.

This whole fight is very DmC actually. Lots of the reboot Vergil moveset here ?

Anyway I beat it now. It's great, the most open and expressive feeling combat the series has had.

But I think DMC3 is a better overall package. I'm not decided yet, but that's my takeaway from this Devil Hunter playthrough. The pacing and balance was better in 3. The character moments were stronger (tho they are good here too). There's some wierdly OP stuff that certain characters get that fecks with things a bit that reminds me of Bayo 2

Most importantly tho this is a far better and more complete feeling game than DMC4 was.

Comparing it to the reboot is harder. The fighting is much better here, but all the other stuff outside the fighting is better in DmC. This game also seems to take some ideas from that game with certain fights (like the one I put in a spoiler just above).

Started this earlier and finished up to Mission 3. 

It’s ok. I’m not exactly bowled over by it yet, the story is all over the place and I’m so confused by what the hell is going on already. 

I’m very early in though and still in the tutorial phase really though so I don’t want to make any snap judgements. I’m already enjoying the combat but I do worry a little about repetition setting in, as someone who vastly prefers Bayonetta to the little bits of DMC games I’ve played in the past I really miss the fast pace and witch time of Bayonetta’s combat. This could easily change very quickly once new abilities present themselves and I get more used to the intricacies of the combat system but it feels a little slow and weighty at the moment, it is still very satisfying though.

The characters seem cool. I like Nico and Nero already, V is more of an enigma but I feel like his persona going to be intentionally aloof for the majority of the game. I can’t wait to try out V in combat, I just have a strong feeling he’s going to be the one I most resonate with out of the three.

I somehow have managed to get decent rankings on each of the missions (S and A) so far so I must be doing something right.

Some pics: 

Spoiler

211BA2E0-D3A9-4C42-A74C-CABD6493213A.png0943CB4C-97C7-42F9-AE42-26F52F4AD2E6.pngCDB36CEB-B315-4802-B4FD-4DB63FC5A1F7.jpeg

195CC11E-369C-4CB5-8331-505AD9C9A585.jpeg

3D7D3494-1D3C-4279-B60D-2AED1890D364.png

3E38FF91-5E69-4BC4-A375-BE58FFAD7F90.png

Nero is slow and deliberate. It's on purpose because of the exceed system (pressing L2 at the end of attacks to light the sword up) so fast attacks aren't his thing as the timing would be really difficult.

Dante is more limber. He is more of a flowing character in comparison to how "chunky" Nero is but he doesn't have Nero's huge powerful attacks.

After beating 5 I'm not sure who I prefer. There is so much Dante can do in this game and doing it feels great. But Red Queen is the best DMC weapon ever ?

I’m watching a Let’s Play and V looks quite dull. Fair enough the streamer doesn’t have all the moves, but not only do the attacks look repetitive but the fact that V is always so far away from the action takes away from the danger of it, too. That Nightmare thing also looks really boring and soesn’t last long enough. I never like big, slow sluggish mounts in these kinds of action games. Reminds me of the venom mutants from Batman Arkham Asylum and how dull they were

I want to give the developers the benefit of the doubt on V and say that probably nobody knows to play him yet. But then why cram in such a weird character who's hard to learn in a game like this. This game is so unfriendly with its mechanics already

The thing about no danger isn't true tho. V's familiars die easily and with them his method not just of attacking but also dodging. You have to get near the familiar's core then to revive them. Positioning with V involves a hell of a lot more than just staying far away.

I'm on a V mission on my Son of Sparda playthrough now so I'm going to have to git gud at V ?

In bosses the animals get KO’d. But in general, on regular difficulty, it looks no problem at all. I expect on harder difficulties it will obviously be harder but on the standard setting it looks quite monotonous 

Also, this isn’t a real criticism because it’s asking tremendous amounts, but it would be nice if each character had their own campaign. 

That’s a massive ask, I get it, but the switching back and forth seems like a massive interruption if you want to focus on one character 

Also last edit, the story, surprisingly is actually fun and interesting. It’s nice and different to see the characters in this series actually struggle and be in danger. 

I just want to say, what a weird ending this game has

Spoiler

After a dark and serious journey with people getting impaled on tentacles it boils down to Nero beating on his deadbeat Dad for walking out on him (and taking his arm) set to the tune of poppy techno. Then it's all happy families. LOL

It also has a better "fuck you" scene than DmC. Fuck you Dad! Boom, Devil Trigger.

Shit is fucking goofy but it gave me the character moment I wanted with Nero since DMC4, him beating the shit out of his Dad. Waited ten years to see that.

The talk of V reminds me of the discussions around Carrie Fernandez in Castlevania 64. On the one hand you had Reinhardt Schneider, basically a traditional whip-wielding Belmont. On the other was Carrie, who shot homing energy bolts that, with every weapon upgrade, only showcased her as more and more broken within the confines of the game. At her max weapon level, nothing (even bosses) could touch you. She was essentially a shmup protagonist in an traditional action game.

V is basically an edgy Pokémon trainer. If SMT was realtime it would be like this

I think I'm getting the hang of him? I play these games with a claw grip already so some stuff like having shadow engage enemies on the ground while I escape with Griffin is intuitive enough. Or setting up massive AOEs while doing quick ground dodges. But managing two demons positions and keeping then out of danger and V safe also while knowing when to attack turns my brain into goo. It's not the execution that's difficult, it's the way it makes you think about fighting stuff.

Apparently also you can control Nightmare? So if you were really good you could be controlling all three simulatenously and basically pressing every face button on the controller, keeping the punishment up with Shadow and Griffin while on Nightmare. Which sounds painful but then that's dmc

Here's the mission 4 boss on Son of Sparda. The way the boss is designed just feels like a tutorial for V. Just a big dumb wall to wail on and dodge especially with how you can do edgy taunts with your cane while Griffin and Shadow wreck shit.

I still think he's my least favourite but I still like his gib

Sorry for spamming videos but he clicked even more for me on mission 5. V is better demonstrated against normal mobs than bosses I feel like cause his bosses are rubbish in this game and normal mobs put him under more pressure due to their numbers. So it's more exciting and interesting.

But the thing with V as far as I can see is he's not very technical. His whole thing is positioning but he's not precise with his attacks and inputs to your familiars get missed or messed up easily when you're moving around. On top of that I miss the "friction" of fighting with Dante or Nero. The way you can cancel attacks and just do all sort of stuff is missing here.

Fight readability is very bad with V also. It's just hard to see stuff especially when you summon Nightmare.

But I like V now, I think. I just dont love him as much as the other two. But it's a very cool idea for a fighting system. Dragons Dogma 2 could be great with something like this.

Dante is the most complicated thing I’ve ever seen in a game. I can’t figure out if the designers are genius or they just threw everything at the wall and was like “The players will figure out how to make it work”

I’m not even playing and this looks intimidating 

It also looks like normal mode is not built to deal with Dante. There isn’t an enemy that can withstand everything Dante can do 

I love Dante in this game. He's peak character action for me right now except for some balance issues later on.

You can manage his complexity and happily ignore half his weapons and still have a very rich fighter in him. Which is what I do, I only used the sword and Cerberus for the end game. Still had enough options to handle every situation

Who is the LP-er?

See for me I wouldn’t be able to ignore stuff, I wouldn’t be able to stop thinking about how to use everything in conjunction with everything else. Already watching this stream I’m sitting here going “Use Royal Guard and Gunslinger more”

The streamer is Maximilian Dood

Also that Mega Man jump is an amazing touch 

At S rank taunt V plays Ride of the Valkries

I am having such a rollercoaster of emotions with this character. He is so untechnical and badly balanced but dorky shit like this makes me love him.

Also speaking of pat and woolie they have apparently decided to dump their entire dmc5 LP on the Woolie versus channel throughout the day.

I'm excited to see woolie's reaction to a certain mission