passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Devil May Cry 5

AndyKurosaki

Well,it’s finally out. I’m three missions in,and thus far,it’s off to a very good start indeed. It looks glorious,thanks to the RE engine. You start off as Nero,the only character that was in the demo. And he’s a riot to play as. 

I’ve never been a master of this series. I can throw down a few SS/SSS combos here and there,get the odd A rank from time to time. But I’ve long since accepted that I’ll never be a top tier DMC player. But that doesn’t matter to me. All that mattters is, “am I having fun?”. And thus far,DMC 5 is absolutely fun. There’s a ton of skills to play around with,the Devil Breakers add a new level of tactics to combat. I went for the Digital Deluxe edition,so have access to the Mega Buster from Mega Man. Which is definitely a favourite thus far.

Now,on to the issue of micro transactions. A lot of people kicked off when it was announced this game has them. Jim Sterling has already said in his review that due to his standpoint,this excludes the game from “Game Of The Year” consideration,despite the huge amount of praise has for it. So,are they actually that bad in DMC? Honestly,no. They’re hidden away in the Menu screen,at no point are you obnoxiously told “Hey Kids,want to buy some stuff?”. And the prices of the items themselves,aren’t that much at all. £1.70 gets you either 3 Blue Orbs,or 100,000 Red Orbs. All of the reviews I’ve read have said you get more than enough without resorting to them. And I feel that seems about right. So yeah,it’s not the end of the world that they’re in this. 

There’s a catch up video that sums up important events in the previous games,which is pretty decent. It made me laugh that DMC2,the worst entry in the series,gets less than 10 seconds mention,whereas the rest get several minutes at least.

So yeah. I’m excited to finally have this. Should be fun.

apparently the Deluxe edition comes with a making of that shows how they made the cut scenes. The bit I've seen is hilarious, actors sat in cardboard boxes, figures being span around on sticks, they should have added the option to have them replace the cut scenes on a 2nd play through

I looked at that 3 million skill for Nero and went “Nope,not happening”. Not when there’s more important stuff to be buying,such as Air Hike.

I’m playing it on Devil Hunter aka Normal mode,as I can handle that alright. At a push I’ve done ok on Son Of Sparda difficulty in the past. But as soon at it gets to Heaven And Hell difficulty,I’m out. That’s way too much for me to handle.

Yeah I think so. I’ve not got the Live Cut Scenes downloaded yet,as it’s a 6gb download itself. But it’s nearly done,so once it is I’ll have a look.

The Deluxe Edition comes with a new costume colour for each character. Lady goes from a white outfit to a Black one. Nico’s looks nice,but I prefer her original. To be honest Lady’s is the only one I changed thus far. 

You also get 3 music tracks from DMC 1/2/3 and 4.

Honestly when I started playing this for a while in I was feeling disappointed. It reminded me a bit of the some of the stuff I read from Kingdom Hearts fans about KHIII and how bummed some of them where with it. Sort of a "be careful what you wish for cause it might not be what you expect".

It's to do with the stuff I didn't like the look of in previews: environment and level design. It's maybe the second worst level design in a DMC game after DMC2. You get some nice looking London streets but then you get these prefab looking sewers and corridors which look like Satan's colon that you get easily lost in cause everything looks the same and the contrast is so low. When people say that DMC5 is like a PS2 game it's part praise but also part criticism and some of these levels feel like a time warp. Naturally Ninja Theory's game shows DMC5 up a whole lot in this department because DmC still looks absolutely beautiful even today.

But then something clicked. I'm not sure when exactly but I think it was on that bit where you do your first teamup with V. The movement of Nero in this is incredible. I know a lot of people  aren't into him but when you get into your head that he's basically all about momentum and using his attacks for movement and get the grips of the "exceed" system it's the kind of action that is hard to put into words. He has only a few new moves in this game over DMC4 I think, probably there's more later. But even just having those few moves expand his movement capabilities so much it's unreal. Because like I said in the demo thread he's just all about being this terse character which gets maximum usability out of very few attacks.

What hasn't clicked so much is V. I don't really know how to play the character at all. Some of the stuff I'd figured about him in the previews seems like it was about right, he is sort of like a "mage" character from an action RPG. But you there's no feedback like with Nero and Dante and everything is very delayed as you're instructing these familiars to do the fighting for you. It's very abstract. I don't think it's bad just yet, I mostly just think it's me being rubbish at him for now. It's a very patting your head and rubbing your belly sort of combat flow with him. I can't explain but you will all see what I mean. His attacks are extremely powerful anyway so it's less about skill than it is about positioning, I think?

It's sort of reminded me of what it feels like to play these games for the first time and be rubbish at them, just feeling sort of rudderless and not feeling the connection between your input and what you see on the screen. But V as a character is also built around this kind of disconnection cause he doesn't fight himself so it's really hard to get your head around if it's supposed to feel so weird. But he's got some things in him which I think I could really like. This one time I got him to do a taunt which had him mime classical music like an absolute cringey edgelord while also controlling Shadow and Griffen fucking everything up in the background. So there's potential for dumbass styling, just drenched in this weird goth edgelord kind of vibe.

Dante. If Nero is a rocket powered one-armed millenial then Dante is demonic swiss army knife. Remember that style switching stuff? How hard the game made you switch all the time and now ineffective Dante felt if you weren't just clawing your controller all the time? This version of Dante is what I wanted from DMC4. It's got the power of DMC1 Dante and the accessibility of DMC3 Dante while keeping the expressiveness of DMC4 Dante. Royal Guard is back and it's still fucking feels great to pull off. There are some tradeoffs also. He moves a bit slower than in 4 and his air moves are a lot more floaty. I know some of the hardcore crowd are annoyed by some changes that were made but I feel now the character makes sense for me in a way it never did with 4. It doesn't seem to have that thing that 4 and DmC have where the weapons just feel like minor attack modifiers, they're more fully featured and can stand on their own.

I still wouldn't go so far as to call Dante "user friendly", but this feels a hell of a lot better than before. I also feel like the hit feedback in this game isn't as bad as it felt in the demo. I think a lot of the "softness" of Nero's attacks might be on purpose tbh as you're supposed to rev the sword or something but I don't really know but all I do know is that an exceed 3 attack hits like a tank. Dante's guns have also never hit so hard as in this game.

I will say that those looking for a more "full package" action game experience might feel a bit underwhelmed with what 5 has to offer. This is just room after room of monsters to clobber, it's not going to have the world design of something like Sekiro.

I spent a solid hour practicing that mission 11 boss with Dante. It's like what if we made another fight like that Nelo Angelo one in DMC1 but in 2019. It's just so fun to play around with, seeing what Dante can do and how the boss reacts. I've recorded my fight against him, this is the same fight that was in the TGS preview of Dante so it's not a spoiler. Also put in some Nero action from mission 7. This is the same section as in another Capcom preview so it's not a spoiler, but I'll put it in a spoiler block in case people haven't watched previews

Spoiler

I've done mission 11 now and taken a break. Apparently mission 12 is where it all kicks off so I really don't want to dive right back in with a cramped up hand. I'm very excited to see what's next.

Just seen the Live Action cutscene feature in action,for the opening cutscene for Mission 3. And it was absolutely hilarious. From Nero’s oven-glove looking devil-arm,to a guy dressed behind a black cloak,holding a shoddy looking bird demon for V. Certainly made me laugh. It was all in Japanese,so reading the subtitles while all that was going on wasn’t easy. 

I want this so bad. But got a couple of little things that are holding me off it. Got to say the environments look very bland and repetitive, all the screenshots and videos all look the same. Not sure on V either from what I’ve seen and read, doesn’t sound great to play as but the hands on seem positive. 

Dwarf has the same complaints though and still clicked for him so maybe I should just get on with it and trade RDR2 in so I can buy it... 

I go hot and cold on this game. Some missions are very dull but then they throw in a great one. Did a co-op bit with a Dante playe while playing Nero, we both kept taunting each other ?

Hopefully bloody palace has some sort of co-op

WRT V, I've read some stuff from players much better than me that there's lots of cool stuff he can do. It's just who has time to learn it in a single playthrough with so many y characters? I'm sticking to Dante and Nero as much as I can for now, I'll try to learn V after I beat the game. It's just an awful lot

I’d trade RDR2. I’ve had more fun in the first 4 missions of this,than the entirety of that. Not that Red Dead was bad,but overly obsessed with realism,and bollocking you for doing something even slightly different from what they wanted you to.

Here,you get a ton of skills,and off you go. Still getting the hang of Nero’s playstyle,managed an SS combo,which I was quite happy with. The boss fights have been the right balance of challenging and fun. 

I read one review that had an issue with the loading times. Can’t say they’ve bothered me,and I’m running it on my day one PS4. 

Plenty of people haven’t bothered finishing Red Dead 2. And with good reason,it’s just not that fun to play. There’s some great bits in it. But it’s far from Rockstar’s finest moment. I’ll certainly never play it again now I’ve finished it. To paraphrase Not The Nine O Clock News: “Nice story. Shame about the game”.

Anyway,back on topic. Played as V for 2 missions now. And I quite like his playstyle. It’s certainly a lot different,as he can’t attack at all,other than dealing the finishing blow. So you have to be a bit more tactical,running around the area while getting your summons to do the bulk of the damage. 

I got to mission 16. Died to a boss and I'm too sore and tired now to figure out how to beat it. But I'm probably one session away from being done now.

Right now I'm just using two weapons and two guns for Dante cause I don't want to get too overwhelmed with switching and new mechanics. There is so much in this game, like maybe four times as much as DMC3 and I'm not even done. So I'm just going to hang in my scrub corner just with the starting weapons for now.

Even just the gauntlets are crazy, they have two forms and each form has their own swordmaster moves. Other weapons are like this too it seems. It's like a Russian dolls of demon ass kicking with Dante and he's not even the main character lol.

(Also I feel weird about that hat weapon now. Not sure I want to learn it's secrets... )

This guy's V gameplay is pretty good.

Using the cane and shadow to parry projectiles and melee attacks. ?

He also uses the circle button warp strike to dodge attacks

Mission 14 but it's not really a spoiler. But if you do watch it try to pause it before the video finishes cause YouTube really likes to recommend a spoiler video or two.

Spoiler