passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Comfort gaming

Hendo

This has probably come up before in a Hot Topic question, but what games do you fall back into and play just for the hell of it? 

If I boot up the Switch, it's more likely than not that I'll start to play Dead Cells or Picross, both good podcast games. 

And today I booted up the PS4 to download the new monthly games, and while I waited I just fired up Bloodborne and it's still just fun to roam around and hack things to bits. 

Bloodborne is good comfort gaming. Just switch it, turn your brain off and farm some blood echoes. Same with Demon's Souls and Dark Souls to be honest. 

Splinter Cell: Conviction for me, I used to be able to run it in one sitting. Haven't played it for a few years but it was always my go to for just playing something. 

On 05/03/2019 at 22:34, mfnick said:

Rocket League. 

Ill just have a match or 2 before turning console off.... Days later... huh? What time is it? 

I had to kick that habit...went cold turkey and managed to stay away since my son arrived (some 14 months ago). Forza Horizon 4 (and 3 if my GamePass is out) has filled that hole though...I seem to be doing a lot of milling around in Lego City Undercover though right now

The PSP probably has the most comfort games for me, like Star Wars Battlefront II  or Elite Squadron and Dead to Rights: Reckoning. It's hard to pinpoint why but that era just feels very "classic" in game design.

It used to be Mario Kart 64, then later Double Dash, but as the MK series has become more intense/difficult at the higher difficulties I've kinda fell out of that cycle.

Dynasty Warriors was a great one too - hack and slash your way through hundreds, if not thousands of identikit enemies on each and every level? Sold!

Now I'd say the Assassin's Creed series. Going from the Ezio Trilogy, to 3 and then right through to Syndicate, I always knew exactly what I was getting with that series and was quite happy to sit down and enjoy the brainless gameplay. Ubi's studios have perfected that gaming loop that manages to relax me so easily, and it even extends to the Far Cry and Watch_Dogs series.