passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sonic The Hedgehog movie

HandsomeDead

41 minutes ago, Maf said:

You mean pre-2000, right?

No. 

He was maybe marketed as having attitude in Megadrive and Genesis adverts in the west but there is very little in those 16bit games that suggests he is the character he is now known as.  Impatient? sure.  He has as much attitude as some classic Warner Bros. cartoon character at the most. 

@Sly Reflex I just think a big part of a lot of people’s gaming heritage got burned in an entirely new way like never before and it makes people go “Wait, what?”

I was thinking about the redesign they’re going to do. They’re probably going to fix the face and stuff like Twitter managed to do in about 10 minutes, and as horrible as the face is, the body is the problem. Too big, too long, too defined, too human. I don’t know how they solve that because at least to me the fixes that need to be made would fuck with all the actors eye line and where they’re looking. But I know shit about special FX so maybe there’s a way around that if they do try to tackle the body issue.

I was trying to determine why I like the Pokemon in Detective Pikachu but can’t stand the Sonic. But I can’t put my finger on it. 

@DifferentClass  I mean you say that like that wasn’t the point? Sonic’s whole reason for existence is too almost literally do battle with Mario. And in this space Sonic is definitely edgy. Is it actually rebellious? No, he was designed in an office. He’s not supposed to be like Duke Nukem, really, he’s just meant to be cartoon cool.  

12 minutes ago, RikSP said:

His ‘tude was more prominent in the comics and cartoons than in the games.

Not to undermine Rik’s point because he’s absolutely right but also anyone watch those Sonic Mania promo cartoons they made? They were short and relatively cheaply done but I think that’s a very good way to do modern day Sonic. They’re fun, friendly, humorous and Sonic still has a bit of attitude in them 

To me Sonics always had a bit of 'tude. Depends what era as to the level of 'tude. Went a bit teenage whiny around the DC age ? I'll always remember his toe tapping when you left him idle ? 

Back then the out of game marketing probably gave him most of it. SEGA did push to be the 'cooler', 'edgier', console at the time. 

Guy's a mammalian that tears up metal robots. Gotta have some 'tude ?

On 04/05/2019 at 00:05, Maf said:

@Sly Reflex

@DifferentClass  I mean you say that like that wasn’t the point? Sonic’s whole reason for existence is too almost literally do battle with Mario. And in this space Sonic is definitely edgy. Is it actually rebellious? No, he was designed in an office. He’s not supposed to be like Duke Nukem, really, he’s just meant to be cartoon cool.  

Sorry, Sly. Not meant to tag you but I can't get rid on this tablet.

I wanted to address this sooner but I cba because tablet.  But Sonic's inception isn't so cynical.  Well; it is but at the same time isn't.  This GDC video on it shows:

His conception is a mix of working within the system and legitimately wanting to make a positive mark on the world, like all popular art.  

I feel like the film hasn't got it to do this, but I hope I'm wrong.  But then I'm up for a terrible attempt.

• 3 weeks later...