passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sonic The Hedgehog movie

HandsomeDead

It does amaze me how SEGA turned on their well received original mascot in favour of a new one. Which several decades later, they haven't done anything exceptional with, since his first three games?

Nobody cared about Alex Kidd in the ‘80’s. 

Nobody.

If you were gonna talk Sega games back then it was all Hang-On, Thunderblade, Golden Axe, Out-Run, etc.

Wonderboy or Shinobi had a better chance at being a Sega mascot than Alex Kidd. 

12 minutes ago, RikSP said:

Well received? Alex Kidd had 6 games come out in 4 years and only one of them was considered not too bad. The rest were hot garbage. 

Well received as a mascot.  He was never one of the 'KILL IT WITH FIRE' failed attempts at a mascot that were so prevalent in the late 80's - mid 90's. The games were really quirky and unique too, not merely trying to ape Mario. He has a lot of untapped potential, should SEGA decide to pull him out of obscurity. As for Sonic.. I think the well has long since run dry.

3 minutes ago, RikSP said:

It's true. All mention of him was banned from the office and one guy got sent home to change for wearing an Alex Kidd t shirt in a meeting. 

Wow, I heard of that sort of think happening in the Japanese offices but I didn't know it was international. 

32 minutes ago, DifferentClass said:

I dunno, Sonic Mania was a great jolt. 

Yet SEGA didn't make that one...?

I think the legacy of SEGA (and the Sonic Franchise, as it stands today) is how far you can get, on the back of a litany of bad decisions.

It is funny when you compare the track record of Mario to Sonic. A couple of Black Sheep (SMB 2, Mario Sunshine) but nothing outright bad in the mainline Mario series. Sonic on the other hand...

Sonic Chronicles is surprisingly good. It’s very simple and easy, but it’s actually kind of cool.

No one ever takes me seriously but most of the day time stages in Sonic Unleashed are great. It was the first time they ever did the 3D Sonic Rush thing and it was super enjoyable.

Granted, there is another 2/3rds of that game which is pretty lame but the running bits are cool.

Sonic Colours was also surprisingly good. They should remake that game and put it on Xbox