passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sonic The Hedgehog movie

HandsomeDead

• 6 months later...

Okay, we've touched on this in the LOLZ thread but I've been thinking about this creature all morning and I'm putting my thoughts here.  It's what we've seen of the movie Sonic coming out next year:

Sonic-Poster-1_1200_1500_81_s.jpeg

I've can't get where the idea for this came from out of my head.  I had to make sense of it.

Now the obvious thing is the proportions are different from the Sonic we know.  He doesn't have those big hands and feet game sonic has but I remembered a video series from the guy who did the voice over on Extra Credits videos, and his day job is an animator and he made some videos on animation in games, one of which was the Sonic series.  When it got to the 3D games he'd often talk about how weird the animation is in the cut scenes because of the proportions of the characters.  Obviously its not an absolute limitation as the cartoons would look okay but not so much with these 3D models; I guess they have different challenges.  It does make me think that's why that change was made for this film.

And also, Sonic the Hedgehog was a game that was conceptualised before the character was designed so I think it is a design that was made for a specific context; that being for a 2D platformer where the camera is always a set distance away and proportions are made bigger or smaller to help communicate certain actions.

I guess he's muscular because he's meant to look like an athlete which makes sense but still looks weird.  But why the big head?  I guess they have to keep him somewhat recognisably Sonic-like.

I dunno, I'm honest to God not just being contrarian when I say this but I kinda love the design so far.  He's Sonic the Dashing Goblin,  I can't wait to see his face and shriek with a mix of horror and delight.  He looks like if Sonic cameo'd in a Ren & Stimpy episode.  seriously, I think I'm into this freak.