passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Headlander

illdog

This is a Metroidvania set in the retro robot future by our friends at Double Fine. You play as a floating head in a space helmet that can vacuum the heads of of resident robots and land on their bodies and take control. Certain coloured doors must be opened by certain colour robots, so sometimes you gotta find the right colour then take it back to an area to be able to progress.

Apart from the unique hook it's pretty much a Metroidvania by numbers. Lots of back tracking, unlocking of powers, sprawling maps with hidden rooms. It's a good one mind, it's set in the future with a 60's vibe which gives it a cool look.

I've finished it 100%, took me about 11 hours. It can be a bit of a pain getting around the map sometimes which is a critisim I find in most of these type of games. Also, when there's a lot going on and you find yourself with out a body it can be fucking hard to see your tiny head amongst the lasers, explosions and colours. Overall though I h(e)ad a great time. Currently part of Xbox Game Pass which was a nice surprise as I've been waiting for it to go on sale since it came out.

Here's the Giant Bomb quick look if you fancy it:

You can pick your starter head, i was a woman so that guy aint my headlander! Definately worth a go.

I had a look back to see what I'd said about this, not much apparently:

A lovely little Super Metroid style action adventure game, with a great 70's science fiction inspired art style. Double Fine has great artists and animators, and they deliver again to give this game a lot of personality.

That was from the games completed 2016 thread, I think I also posted the video when it was announced. I remember enjoying it . It's definitely worth a go if you've just got it for free.

I started this earlier, picked the guy with the tache.

Seems alright, definitely a Double Fine game in art style and dialogue. Reminds me a bit of Iron Brigade in that sense.

I got as far as them giving you a map and starting the upgrades. 

• 2 months later...

Forgot to post about this a couple of weeks ago so I'm gonna do it now.

I ended up playing this when drinking with a mate of mine and we had a blast working through it. It's full of charm, has some great level design (as well as some questionable design choices, but still), and a steady stream of upgrades that for the most part are pretty easy to find.

A lot of characters are full of personality, and it really captures that mid-century personality that was obsessed with human living in space. Think the maid from The Jetsons but with huge amount of variation between characters. 

The story is absolute B-Movie schlock, but we already know I love that shit so I was happy to just enjoy the ride. It was definitely an unexpected gem, and I'm happy I gave it a shot. Especially seeing as I'd completely forgotten about this thread so had no idea what I was going in to.

Also, the phrase 'suck off their noggin' is never gonna not make me laugh.

Recommended. Great fun!