passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Trials Rising

mfnick

No one else playing this? I got it on release and I’m fucking loving it. The track design is really inventive and a step above what they’ve done before. I’ve not played enough to say how they stand to multiple plays and bettering times but they’re very promising so far.

Feels as good as ever and there seems to be loads of content, I’ve been playing a few hours and unlocked loads of tracks and only just got to the medium tier, this is where it really picks up for me personally. The medium and hard tracks are where the best ones are in the previous instalments IMO. The tracks have some good challenges to encourage repeat plays apart from times as well. Like fusion where they ask to not brake or no leaning, this has similar objectives that pop up but they seem more manageable and more

logically set out. 

Couple of small complaints. The progress for unlocking bikes seems incredibly glacial after the first one. Convenient that’s theres now a way to buy them with real money now... loot boxes, while easily ignored, still annoy. 

The map layout can ruin the flow sometimes, just adding a bit too much time and too many button presses between plays compared to previous instalments. 

By far my biggest complaint though, Ubisoft Club! It forces you to link to it to be able to access the leaderboards and have the classic ghost times show (real people not the medal ones). I think that’s really really fucking shitty hiding one of the best features - which was always front and centre and a highly regarded part of the game - behind making you sign up to their shitty club thing. Arseholes. 

Overall though, the game is brill. If you like Trials get it immediately. Preferably on Xbox  and give me some more times to race against! 

...but isn't it just more trials?

like, really, how much different can it be to Trials HD?

of course, I'm joking, I was watching a playthrough of this on wednesday and it does look like a lot of fun. I need to save my dollars this month for sekiro though. Hopefully this will be in a sale sometime soon, so I can tickle my trials itch.

34 minutes ago, mfnick said:

By far my biggest complaint though, Ubisoft Club! It forces you to link to it to be able to access the leaderboards and have the classic ghost times show (real people not the medal ones). I think that’s really really fucking shitty hiding one of the best features - which was always front and centre and a highly regarded part of the game - behind making you sign up to their shitty club thing. Arseholes. 

I find the Ubisoft Club surprisingly excellent. I love getting all the points and badges in each of their games I play, if you get 100 units and you get 20% off your next pre-order on the Ubi Store as well which is a great deal - used this many times myself.

I’m really torn on this now, at first I thought it was great, as already said, the tracks seem fun and inventive. the trials university is great, in the actual game it’s all great.

the ubi stuff annoyed me at the start but now it’s started to give me people off my friends lists ghosts to race I quite like it. Apparently it might allow cross platform leaderboards too but not sure if that’s working yet/or even right at all.

the loot box and levelling up stuff I can ignore as long as it’s unintrusive Which it was at the start, there’s been a few times you have to level up to unlock stuff but it’s not been too bad... but now at level 52, after 1h+ I’m on level 54 and I have to get to level 58 to unlock the next set of tracks, which seems a bit rediculous, I’ve been doing stuff like forward backward rolls to meet contracts and get bonus xp for a bit but now it’s getting pretty boring and I’m getting a bit fed up with it. I don’t like how all the tracks are on a map either, they’re all over the place, it’s a mess of icons, just give me a list of tracks to play. Oh the loading is a bit slow too, not too bad especially as you might retry one track over and over - but for one specific type of event where you have to do 3 tracks in a row and if you fail you go back to the first track - here it’s really really bad.

so yeah I’m in a bad mood with it at the moment but hopefully it’ll win me over again because the actual gameplay is great, I agree with all the good stuff mfnick is saying about it really.

what are your ubi usernames? Think mine is msm13579. We could add each other, see if the leaderboard thing works eventually? (I’m on PS4)

oh oh and if you have ubi points from before 2017 they might expire soon, I spent about 500 on a load of rubbish as to not waste them.

1 hour ago, spatular said:

what are your ubi usernames? Think mine is msm13579. We could add each other, see if the leaderboard thing works eventually? (I’m on PS4)

I just added you, mine is BlakeySFC.

I still haven't got this yet but I've almost bought it about 5 times.

I get what you’re saying about the club thing but I think it’s shot making the players jump through extra hoops to access one of the best features. That just means a lot of people aren’t even going to engage with that side. If it wasn’t for me loving trials so much I wouldn’t sign up for it. 

Ive heard some things about this becoming a bit of a grind later. Not looking forward to that.

I love this game! 

But.

Theres some poor design choices. The “game” part of it is as brilliant as ever, the course design is excellent. However the progression system and the layout of courses (a map full of icons, oh yea it’s a Ubisoft game) are really bad. It’s really difficult to tell what medal you have on a course unless there’s no sponsor there. It doesn’t help the not played, silver and platinum all look like the same icon when there’s a sponsor on it so finding new tracks can be far more difficult than it has any right to be. I have found that the stadiums have all their respective unlocked tracks under the X cross trials but it still requires searching through the stadiums to find particular difficulties. The old difficulty sections and lists worked so much better.

Next is the rate of progression itself. From about level 45 onwards you have to replay tracks multiple times to earn enough experience to unlock the next lot. For example I unlocked a stadium and a 5 or so tracks at 68. I finished all the tracks and including their respective challenges and Which got me to level 70. To unlock the next set of trials I need to be level 78. Each level is 10,000 XP. I’m at a point now where all the sponsor challenges are 3,500-6000xp so it’s not taking too long (as long as the challenges aren’t too hard that is). But it’s still shit. Now I like replaying tracks in Trials, I do it loads. But forcing me to do so when I just want to try the new tracks? I’m not a fan of at all. 

I’m just not a fan of the stadium events either, especially when I’ve got to beat all 3 in a row, basically without any mistakes. 

Apart from these annoyances, still a great game though. 

I went to buy this last night and for some reason Ubisoft have priced the digital Gold Edition PC version (£33.99) higher than the PS4/XB1/Switch physical editions.

Which means even with the 20% off it’s more expensive (£27) than I can get the other versions (£24.95) of the game?! Utterly baffling.

So I left it in the end. I can’t make up my mind between Switch and PS4 ?

3 hours ago, Blakey said:

/.

So I left it in the end. I can’t make up my mind between Switch and PS4 ?

I understand the appeal of being able to dip in and out on the Switch with this but I honestly don’t  know how you’d do the late medium and hard tracks without analogue triggers.

I may have to double dip and get PS4 version myself. No one on my Xbox friends list has it and really miss having friend times to beat.

I installed this last night and played the first hour or so. First impressions, it's more of the same, but with an awesome THPS-inspired punk/rock soundtrack. If you've played Trials, HD or Fusion, you know what to expect here. The layout is very weird though, as @mfnick alluded to. The world map seems like a strange decision, rather than the linear progress you made in the other games.

Even something like Horizons (the phone game) would have been preferable to this.

The lootbox side doesn't seem to insidious on the grand scale of things to me. I haven't seen anything I NEEEEEEED that might persuade me to purchase more lootboxes. Right now it just FEELS like something to make you feel like you're progressing, rather than just something to shill cash out of you. I've also had no issues with unlocking bikes - just managed to get my second one, but I feel like that was just a levelling up bonus.

There's a couple of great new ideas there too though. You get to a point where you're offered sponsored races, and eventually sponsored mini-tournaments. This is where the multiple opponents comes into things. You never HAVE to beat opponents to get medals, until you get to these little round robin style moments, where eventually coming first is a must. They're a nice twist on the singular Trials experience.

I also really like the training stuff. There are about 15 or so lessons, all unlocked as you progress through the game, each one teaching you a different skill set. The last one I did taught me effective jumping, and was a really good lesson. Not only did it break it down visually, but then it asked me to have a go, trying to get all the way up to an A+ rank, and also had an opponent doing the same thing so I could see how to perform the manoeuvre in real time. Great way to do it.

It feels like a game I'll drop in and out of until it's really got its hooks in, but for now it's just good, chilled fun.

• 2 months later...

Just rented this. First impressions were good. Unfortunately, that didn’t last very long. I’ve never been much good at Trials. I enjoy it, I just never really improved my mediocre skills. After doing 6 levels in this, I hit a literal brick wall with the progression system. “Want to play more levels? You better constantly reply the ones you have now, to increase your player rank”.

Sorry, but that’s just bollocks. I hate when games do that. I could replay them, over and over again, to unlock more tracks. Or, I could go “fuck that”, return it, and play something else. I’ve gone for option 2.

Even that is locked behind progression. I had access to the first two tutorials. But in order to unlock the next, I needed to get to level 15.

What’s the point in having tutorials to improve your skills, but force you to level up to a high level in order to unlock them? Ridiculous.

• 1 year later...

Was playing this quite a bit recently as the Switch was all I really had access to.

I played it quite a bit after I bought it as well but forgot to post my thoughts on it, so here goes. I do like it but it seems maybe a little bloated. It just seems like everything's been expanded and there are now such a crazy amount of tracks, contracts and stuff to do, which is good in a way as you can always get on with something even if you get stuck on a particular event or something, but is bad because it can take a long time to completely clear a set of tracks in an area.

I remember Fusion definitely being bigger than previous games too but not to this extent. I think I've put about 15 hours into it so far and only just started unlocking the Medium courses which is pretty mad, I am doing everything I come across though, all the tracks to Gold Medal standard and all the contracts I come across.

I haven't found levelling up or the 'grind' an issue at all as a result of just doing everything really. I seem to be levelling up at a quite frankly ridiculous pace so far and have got to Level 45 or so without really even looking at the XP bar. I think the loot boxes in this are one of the most superfluous examples I've come across too, they just seem to throw them at you like nobodies business, I think I've got about 30+ just sitting in my account that I've yet to open. All silly stuff really that has no bearing on the game. The new bike unlocks and  the tracks themselves seem to be the only worthwhile things you unlock for levelling up, as I've levelled up so quickly and without really realising it neither of these have been an issue at all. 

But yeah, my main complaint would just be the size of it. My favourite time is at the start of Trials games doing all the Easy tracks and just flying through them, but here there were just so many of them and replaying them to complete the contracts just feels like adding a little bit of bloat into proceedings. 15 hours in pretty much any other Trials game and I'd be right near the Hard/Insane level courses but in this it feels like I've barely scratched the surface really. 

I hadn't played it at all after the initial 3-5 hours I put into it shortly after I got it and after this recent bout with it I won't be rushing back to play anymore anytime soon even though I did enjoy my time with it.