passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Pokémon Sword / Shield

HandsomeDead

He're your starters for this gen:

pokemon-sword-shield-1starters-1.jpg

I think I'll be going Grookey this time.  I've not had a grass one in ages.

Looks like the rumours of it being set in a fictional Britain are correct.  I like it, it actually looks pretty northern with the country and red bricked city.  Like, it looks very pretty.  It's not the BotW thing people may want but I'm happy.

I won’t go as far to say as I was disappointed by it, but I was underwhelmed. Firstly just the presentation being so short. You can do 40 minute Directs on Smash Bros going through every super and all this but here you get 3 minutes of basically nothing? Like the slightest overview of the English based world map. Which is always boring to me when games are based in England because you could base them literally anywhere else. Spin a globe and throw a dart at it as long as you don’t hit the water you’ll land somewhere more interesting than here. 

Then what they actually showed of the game was also underwhelming. The animations for the trainer look smoother, they have some relatively nice environmental things happening with either weather patterns like fog or just general setting stuff like big, 3D cities. Something that Pokemon still hasn’t really done a good job until now. Lumiose City in X/Y, despite having a wonderful soundtrack 

Was a real bother to get around. 1) Because of rollerblades and 2) The general design was confusing and it all looked the same.

So bigger, taller more expansive locations is nice. 

The actual graphical quality of the game is also is also kind of underwhelming. I guess I was never going to have the X/Y reaction of when they put all the Pokemon in superb 3D for the first time and I was just blown away by it. But this could have been more. Nice animations, new environmental details, new broader locations. But it still looks a lot like Sun and Moon. More than just smoothed out and up-resed for Switch, but still not quite the visual fidelity I was thinking of when I think Pokemon and Home Console. 

I don’t know why the trainer is entering a football stadium. But there was another shot in the trailer of Pokemon fighting on a big battlefield so maybe that’s what that is? That would be cool. They should make it so you don’t win gyms anymore but you win spots on a Pokemon style football team and when you go online you get to choose who you want to play for and earn faction rep and win unique Pokemon or something if your team finishes first for that month. Like a proper Pokemon League. 

And lastly, it was very vague, but when they said they are going to try and challenge them selves and do new things. That could mean literally anything. But what I’m really hoping is that means they are following the path set by Sun and Moon. Having a much more fleshed out story component, cutscenes, and changing up the structure of the game and how you complete it. 

I don’t know. There’s really not tonnes to go on. And I am liking what I’m seeing, but just not as hype as I was hoping it would make me. Still a day 1 purchase, though obviously. At the moment I think I’m on team Shield, but we will see. 

Oh, and very lastly the last games were based on Hawaii. Which is why I’m guessing all the Pokemon had very low speed stats. I wonder what characteristic Pokemon from England will have? Maybe all you’re other 5 Pokemon just moan while they’re waiting for their shot. Or they’re racist against all Pokemon not from Galar. Sobble looks like a silent racist, if you ask me. 

This take is the worst take.

Agreed that there wasnt enough shown to take too many impressions away but thought it looked okay. Im glad its based in the UK, and I think its a cool place to base it, the UK is basically as mysterious and magical to the Japanese as Japan is to us, so its a no brainer and you could really play up the quintessential Englishness of the setting to a good effect in Pokemon.

I thought it was going to be a slightly longer Direct as I was expecting a port of Detective Pikachu to coincide with the film. 

Like I said, I think the UK is a great choice as a location.  We have loads of weird folklore to base Pokemon and Pokemon back stories on. 

There better be a goofy fish'n'chips Pokemon. 

Mmmm, Emboar Rolls. 

I don't think it looks more open than usual from the trailer.  There's clear walls and paths that show it has similar world design to Sun and Moon.  The open areas will just be landmarks to look and help orientate you at I imagine. 

I’ve been a lapsed fan since Diamond/Pearl (and didn’t really like the 20 hours I played of Pokémon Sun), but I still watched this with a smile on my face. Once a fan always a fan I guess. I’ll be getting it.

On a kind of side note (because it’s not a dealbreaker for me and I don’t expect to feel about Pokémon the same way I did as a child), but isn’t it strange how we went from the beautiful Gameboy Pokemon designs of the original game, to this really basic, cheap looking design on a much more powerful machine over twenty years later?

I’m talking strictly about the Pokémon designs. The game itself looks lovely.

I think the Pokemon designs have got way more complicated over time. Just look at a picture of Charmander and Scorbunny side by side. 

And the sprites in the very original original game are pretty bad. Some of them are good, but it really didn’t hit it home properly until Gold/Silver (Although that could be applied to a lot of aspects of Pokemon in general) 

However I do wish Pokemon looked more like the original artwork for the first two games. That Sugimori artwork and is amazing and if they ever made a full in Pokemon game that looked like that it would be amazing. But that time and trend has long past, I think 

Nah, I think there is a lot of nostalgia tied to the older designs.  There are some that are iconic that have stayed with people, and rightfully so, but they had a lot of not so good ones too, and each new batch come with some great designs and a whole bunch of so-so ones. 

I'm not asking them to change the designs, although if we're getting that granular then they did when they made them 3d. It's the humans and the buildings that are the main problem, some of the pokemon too but a lot look fine, they're so cheaply done 

That being said, they barely advanced things on the DS, the 3ds games had weird performance issues, maybe they just don't have it in them 

Im going to maybe be a bit unpopular here but I dont particularly care for anything other than Red/Blue or perhaps Gold/Silver games. I wish they would just start again, I almost dread the fact that with each game there will be 100 odd new pokemon coming out. I only ever look for the original 3 starters and if the game doesnt have them then I feel a bit disappointed.

1 hour ago, DANGERMAN said:

I'm not asking them to change the designs, although if we're getting that granular then they did when they made them 3d. It's the humans and the buildings that are the main problem, some of the pokemon too but a lot look fine, they're so cheaply done 

That being said, they barely advanced things on the DS, the 3ds games had weird performance issues, maybe they just don't have it in them 

I think the 3DS games look really good, but a part of that is because they’re on the 3DS. 

This is new Switch game looks better than Let’s Go, which unfortunately has a really bland look, but I still don’t think it’s as good as it could be 

I wouldn’t be surprised, actually, if this is running on very similar technology to the 3DS games because they look very, very similar. Which is a shame because you think they would be able to go much further on the Switch and be more striking