passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Pokémon Sword / Shield

HandsomeDead

Well, it will depend on how they handle EV and IV training as well. They’ll be no point changing natures of Pokemon if their IV’s are all wrong and their EV’s aren’t correct. However this makes it much, much simpler and will take a huge amount of RNG out of breeding Pokemon 

So here is something crazy. Which I think is a really good refelection on why the SUMO meta game was bad and the Pokédex cuts they’ve made are potentially very healthy for a broader, more creative multiplayer environment this time around.

Potentially, I can’t see the future, who knows. 

Below is a list of the current entire OU tier (Pokemon ranks are decided upon usage, ‘OU’ stands for overused, meaning these are considered the best Pokemon in the current meta game) 

Spoiler

EIyNW8tWkAE7bBg.jpg

EIyNdtUWsAAYwFs.jpg

EIyNkOcW4AAfujL.jpg

And below are the only Pokemon returning 

Rotom-W

Toxapex (Boo)

Tyranitar

Clefable

Excadrill

Ferrothorn

Hawlucha

Kommo-o

Pelliper

Clearly, massively reduced. Obviously the first thing are Mega Pokemon are now gone (Yes!) so that clears the list down. Also it seems as if they getting rid of a lot of Legendaries, no doubt so they can give them away again at later dates during events like they do, but again that’s great because the Tapu’s are broken, and the best news, no more Celesteela - the worst Pokemon/Ultra Beast of all time

HALLELUJAH

But also looks like we’re going to lose some really cool Pokemon as well. No more Gliscor, Greninja, Garchomp or Tangrowth, all favourites of mine. Gone.

It’s like I was saying the other day, with pretty much the entire, overly dominant OU tier wiped from existence. Jeez. The field is open for any number of Pokemon to come in and rule the game now. Pokemon has always suffered from power creep, where every gen just got stronger and stronger, this is like a massive power down. Which I think is really good (Assuming the brand new Pokemon aren’t totally insane)

The other day I talked about how the OU tier was being reduced. Well, now it’s the Ubers tier. OU stands for overused Pokemon because they are the most “competitive” and mostly used Pokemon, Ubers is for Pokemon that are too broken and powerful for the OU tier where just too few of the OU tier could handle them (Pheromosa) or where a single one could sweep an entire OU team by itself (Mega Salamence). Usually these Pokemon are the Legendaries with a few notable exceptions. Here is the list below. 

Spoiler

EI9-8NlXUAAOsYo.jpg

EI9_DDPXYAACUap.jpg

EI9_JPlX0AY7zB6.jpg

EI9_PsOXkAAJaOo.jpg

Here are the Ubers Pokemon that are returning

Spoiler

EI-A1n-XYAMq_Tb.jpg

Yeah, so that’s a thing.

Well, payment has been taken by ShopTo. So my copy of the dual Sword/Shield steelbook should be dispatched tomorrow. Which my youngest niece will get to play in just over a month.

Guess didn’t really need DF for this but yup, Pokemon is underwhelming from visuals and tech standpoint, just like me (And I guess the internet in general) was expressing disappointment in since the first footage came out.

Still doesn’t feel like we’ve got the first, full blown console version of Pokemon, just the first version of what you would expect from the handheld games on a console instead. I know Switch is a handheld but still there was real expectation of something bold and bigger when this was announced and they have delivered in some ways but also very much under delivered in others. 

Also, I didn’t know this but 400+ Pokemon have been cut from the Pokédex. That is way more than I originally thought were missing. 

Unfortunately a case of expectation meets reality. As much as people may have envisioned something similar, Game Freak were never going to make PokéMon into 'Monster Hunter X BoTW', on console or otherwise.

This is the formula fans have bought into for so long, so this appears to be what they are sticking with. Quelle surprise

But I think Pokemon games on handheld always pushed the handhelds in what they could do. It is why people wanted a console version so they could essentially take the limitations off. But now they’re on a console next to not just BotW and Xenonlade 2 that show scale can be done and look amazing, but even things like Luigi’s Mansion 3, Splatoon and Mario Kart 8. Games that even if not the biggest just exude quality in style, animation, character models, environments, and overall presentation and Pokemon isn’t even that competitive in these - I don’t want to say basic but I’m struggling for the right word - basic areas and upgrades you would expect to see from 1st/2nd party Switch games. 

Even if they just stuck to the formula, which they have done for the most part by the sounds of it, I think a lot of people would still be very happy with a traditional Pokemon game that just looked amazing (X and Y were incredibly enjoyable and though for lots of reasons, a big part of that was just the move to 3D).

Considering they have made so many cuts to content it’s hard to understand why the game is still so lacking in visual quality. 

I was watching a video (can't find it now, naturally) wherein a PokéMon fan was very critical of Game Freak's overall attitude to the series. Minor tweaks when major ones could have vastly improved the overall game. As an example, he pointed a finger at the audio of the PokéMon themselves. When hasn't moved very far from Red/Blue/Yellow.

My Niece that I bought these games for is 9y/o and her only previous experience of the series was the Let's Go Pikachu from last year. So I bet she will love this. I think Game Freak had no intention of pushing the envelope with Sword & Shield. Or raising the bar for the series in general. I think what they seem to have in mind was is Red & Blue: 2019 edition. Strip it back to basics and start again. The fans might have wanted a push beyond the limits of the past, I don't think Game Freak did.

You or Mary would have more first hand experience than myself, but from what I've seen and the limited amount I've played, I haven't seen Game Freak even attempt a true series evolution along the lines of Zelda 1 to OoT to BoTW. 

It feels to me like they had a massive opportunity to have two separate series on Switch.

Keep the Let's Go stuff as introductory games for new PokeFans, and then develop the mainline instalments as full, deep RPGs with the ridiculous metagame that some fans crave. As it stands it just looks like they dipped their toe into making Pokemon Go for consoles and stuck to tried and tested for Sword/Shield. Which is a shame, because having the two separate sides like Forza/Forza Horizon does would be a great way to cater to all groups.

Pokemon kicking ass and taking names

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-11-19-nintendo-switch-uk-sales-spike-30-percent-as-pok-mon-sword-and-shield-sets-record

Nintendo Switch UK sales spike 30% as Pokémon Sword and Shield sets record

Nintendo Switch console sales have jumped in the UK as Pokémon Sword and Shield become the fastest-selling Switch game so far.

Retail data shared with GamesIndustry.biz states that Switch hardware sales rose more than 30% during the release of Pokémon Sword and Shield. The spike also coincides with increased retail activity around Switch consoles, with hardware sales spiking 75% the week previously. Overall, almost 90,000 Switch machines have been sold in the UK so far this month