passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Pokémon Sword / Shield

HandsomeDead

No it will have less of them. The trend in Pokemon games is getting easier and easier. Pokemon don’t even need to be in a fight any more to get XP they just need to be in a party.

However if you want to grind for the sake of it then they’ll be 100’s of Pokemon to train if you want, but I highly doubt this game will have real challenge.

In Pokemon Moon I dumped every Pokemon except my starter every time I went to a new island (So 4 times) and still didn’t particularly struggle.

? Oh that is disappointing. I remember trying to grind out a win with Tangela at the Cinnabar Island Gym. Seeing if I could over-level the thing and offset the rock-paper-scissors mechanics. I really tried, but the game wouldn't let me do it. Now it would probably just give me the badge...

36 minutes ago, radiofloyd said:

I hate the internet – Episode 395

I'm going to be honest here, I didn't even expect them to include every Pokémon back when YX came out because I was convinced they'd never be able to make 3D models for all of them in time. So I'm not really surprised that they've finally hit a number that's impossible to keep up (and add to) with every new game coming out.

I mean if people really are so displeased with this situation they shouldn't buy it. If there's enough people doing that Nintendo might reconsider and give GF another six to 12 months for the next game just re-doing old Pokémon. Personally I'm not sure if I want to wait super long for a Pokémon game just so that someone can have Tangela, Mr. Mime and Garbodor on their team. There have been more than enough throwaway designs in the last twenty years that can be left out without making the game feel incomplete.

Like I said before I think this is a really good thing. The taking away of Megas, Z moves and even limiting the Pokédex means this is Pokemon getting a fresh start. 

On some level it will be sad to lose literally Pokemon I’ve had for years and transferred them through cart to cart, and if they can’t make the jump here then it will honestly be a little saddening. But at the end of the day they’re just little data files so I’ll get over it. 

I love the fact that technically it means for the first time in a long time that Pokédex completion is a, Herculean, but achievable goal because only Pokemon that can be transferred are already in the game. 

• 2 weeks later...

You know what is lazy? Talking over a video that's just looping the same clip over and over again.

Game Freak had approximately 3 years to develop this game. Probably less, considering someone had to do Ultra SM and Let's Go PikaVee in between. That's a very tight schedule for a game with such a vast amount of content and features.

I'd love to see how these people would tackle animating hundreds of moves for hundreds of Pokémon in a way that they feel believable for every single one of them, while simultaniously building a new world, writing and designing new Pokémon and characters and making the switch to a new system in less than three years.

Screw this whiny social media generation, seriously.

They should of just taken longer? All people want is a fully realised console Pokemon game, and the closest they got to that was with X and Y on the 3DS. Which was amazing. But now they’re going back to the well on the their tech again. A Switch version of Pokemon should be this brilliant new thing. Instead it’s just souped up version of what they did in 2013

I’m not saying no effort has been put int to this. They got Dynamax, and roaming Pokemon, and new designs and moves and stuff. But this does still feel very half-assed in a lot of ways. Particularly on the tech end of it 

8 minutes ago, Maf said:

They should of just taken longer?

(*have)

Yeah, but the deadline isn't their choice. Nintendo wanted a new Pokémon game in 2019 and that's what GF had to deliver. It's dumb to just throw all this "lazy here, lazy there" stuff around when it has nothing to do with some of the issues at hand.

Well, you all might disagree with how he presents his points, and I don’t agree with all of them, but I’m still on the side of being really underwhelmed by Sword and Shield and especially when it comes to animations, tech and the general look of the game as detailed in the video. 

So far this game looks like it should be so much more than what it actually is. I expect more from the the thing they’ve been talking about as the ‘proper, console Switch RPG’ or however they phrased it 2 or 3 years ago. To see it’s heavily based off a 6 year old 3DS game? It’s really disappointing 

Personally I think everyone who is disappointed by the scope and technical side of things in SS just had unreasonable expectations. Game Freak is a comparatively small studio that has primarily made handheld games on underpowered hardware for decades. There's no way they could instantly hop onto a new HD machine and make something like Xenoblade 2 with Pokémon in it.

Also, ironically, this is the biggest leap for Pokémon so far in pretty much every possible way except Pokémon numbers. You wouldn't really think that while browsing the net.

That video is hot trash.

Also the whole Treegate shite is fucking nonsense. They’re going for a style, that’s why the trees look like that not because they’re ‘lazy’ or any other such shite.

Fucking gamers are such entitled fucking arseholes sometimes. All the cunts abusing the Art Director - James Turner - on Twitter can fucking get in the sea as well.

got to say I don't like the art for this either (based on what I saw out of E3), but I very much doubt it's out of laziness.

Game Freak have always lagged behind with pokemon, the first 3DS one didn't have 3D at all iirc, or if it did it was the one where it was just fights. After that the framerate was lower with the 3d on, they were using old noises and old art for years on the DS. They aren't a technical powerhouse of a studio, either because of time, size of team, budget, or possibly just quality. They make pokemon games over and over, they might just not have the people they need to advance things technically.