passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Pokémon Sword / Shield

HandsomeDead

That's a rubbish argument. Onix is canonically over 30 feet, and there have been several even larger with the generations that followed. And that's not including Mega evolutions. 

Massive Pokemon have always been a thing.

Yeah but here they’re doing it to a Pikachu.

Literally everything about mega evolutions is bad, and I’m not saying this is the first time Pokemon has done something dumb like this. Prime examples are Groudon or Kyogre who can destroy the world, or Arceus who is the god of all Pokemon and maybe life (That you can catch in a Pokeball) 

The only thing that makes this the new worse thing like all the other stupid stuff is this is a game mechanic and not just a lore/story thing. Like Mega evolutions and Z moves it just pushes it over the edge. 

And it’s not that you can’t have big Pokemon but Godzilla big Pokemon is dumb. 

It might be worth waiting to see how the balancing turns out before declaring anything.  The idea it can be used on any Pokemon means it isn't gonna reduce the meta like previous attempts at this sort of thing. 

But I can only see it being a hoot for casual play. 

10 hours ago, Maf said:

Although when did the UK have deserts?

That's what Brexit does to you.

My problems with Dynamax aren't even game balance or anything, I just think it looks totally stupid and doesn't fit the general Pokémon aesthetic at all. It also makes no sense. How can they grow, why can they grow, what happens if you're the Plant Gym Leader and someone turns up with an Dynamax Onyx which destroys your entire Gym because it becomes too large and you never expected to fight one? Where do the big Pokéballs come from? What is Game Freak smoking?

I wish it were limited to the raids to be honest, I'd rather not see any of thise Dynamax stuff in a normal playthrough. I hope you can fight the Dynamax Pokémon in Gyms with standard size Pokémon so I won't have to use it at least.

Edit: to illustrate with exemples from other games where developers put in stuff that didn't fit; the chicken folk from Twilight Princess. Or the weird Bionicle NPCs in Metroid Prime Hunters and Corruption. Or that humanoid princess from Sonic 06. Or Yoda in Soul Calibur IV.

All these things are Dynamax.

I really feel like each gimmick in the last few gens of games has been to help cover the failiure of the last. First they had Mega Pokemon, which didn’t really work because only some Pokemon got Megas. This went a long way to centralising team building and stagnating the multiplayer.

Then was Z-moves. This in theory works better because it isn’t Pokemon exclusive (Though their are Pokemon exclusive Z moves) and it gives Pokemon that don’t have a Mega a way to kind of fight back. But then this didn’t work either because there’s only a handful of Z-Moves that ever get used, and instead of helping weaker Pokemon fight back people just slap Z-crystals on the toughest Pokemon so they can hit even harder. Also even though it’s supposed to give a super version of cool moves, it was a bit lame when they had status moves or non attacking type moves. Like outside of Z-Bellydrum ain’t no one using them on non attacking moves. And the only 3 you can reliably see is Z-Stone Edge/Earthquake/Bravebird or Hurricane. 

Every now and then a Greninja will have Z-Hydro Pump and a Volcarona will have Z-Bug Buzz But this really is extent of it. So Z moves are a flop.

And you can tell they know that as well. That’s why when Pokemon Dynamax they change their moves to just generic moves instead 

pokemon-sword-shield-dynamax-max-moves.j

See how the bottom ones are just guard? Z-moves got too complicated and were hardly used so they just tried to generalise the idea instead. Which is also crappy because one of the fun things about Pokemon and how one person can play a Pokemon differently to how someone else plays it is by having different move sets. Also what does this mean for Pokemon that use strategy to win instead of just hitting things? Is Calm Mind or Dragon Dance or Roost just going to get lumped under Max boost or Max heal? Isn’t the whole point of Dynamax that they are super powered anyway? 

Just round and round trying to fix problems with more fixes. 

Some Pokemon just not competitively viable at all? Make Megas to boost stats

We can’t give every single Pokemon a Mega because it’s too much work/doesn’t make sense? Fine then boost the moves instead 

People only used a small handful of the boosted moves because that was all that was needed to completely crush non competitive Pokemon? Then make it so all Pokemon can boost their stats

Dynamax. Let’s see how this goes.

Why GameFreak don’t go and try steal some MOBA game designers and use their expertise on rebalancing the Pokédex so every Pokemon has a chance I don’t know. Like actually going in and retconning the stats and fixing the problems and balance is the way to do it, not just constantly slapping new bullshit on top of old bullshit and hoping this is what will make it work. 

Obviously not all the information is out there and maybe when people start playing it then it will all make sense and work perfectly. But the more I been thinking about it the more I have zero faith in this new idea and actually think it might be the worst one yet. 

So Pokemon Bank/Pokemon Home service only allows you to transfer Pokemon already available in Pokemon Sword and Shield. 

So like, say Bulbasaur can’t be caught in Pokemon Sword and Shield then even if you have one in a previous game you can’t transfer it over 

No details on if stats, EV’s and IV’s transfer over correctly. Shiny Pokemon transfer over fine and still shiny. 

So, in theory, this might be a fresh start for Pokemon. Especially if not all the legendaries/mythical/special Pokemon aren’t in the game, then it won’t matter if you don’t have them because you can’t move them over anyway. However if they can move over then they’re in the game so win win. 

This is potentially very good

So as this is technically an authentic mainline PokéMon console release, should I jump on, one more time? I really didn't care Fire Red/Emerald/whatever I got up on emulator, back in the day. Maybe an original console version will have more of the Grinding RPG elements I like?