Sign in to follow this  
spatular

Dirt Rally 2.0

So it’s a rally game, it’s very much like the first dirt rally, it’s pretty difficult, mainly because of the narrow roads.

Was as thinking maybe it’s a bit easier than the first game, then did a stage in a rear wheel drive car, in the rain at night. It’s still really hard.

the handling seems really good, bit better than the first one maybe, but I’ve only played with the slow cars and a rear wheel drive car, which I didn’t use much in the first game so hard to tell yet.

Initial impressions of the pace notes are pretty good.

the force feedback is alright, not great, the fun rumbling effects are missing it seems, but the important grip/handling info is there, if a bit weak. Hopefully this will be improved.

Not played either game much with a pad but the first seemed really difficult, this seemed much better.

Graphics are are pretty good, even on my old pc, nice foliage, nice weather effects.

On one hand I’m not too keen on the 2.0 thing, but on the other hand it’s a nod to one of the best games ever so I’ll let it pass.

theres also Rallycross, I sort of don’t care about this so will only try it when I’ve run out of rallying to do.

so yeah it’s really good, if you like sort of realistic rally games with narrow tracks that are really difficult, this is the game for you!

oh yeah it’s out Tuesday unless you buy the fancy version, I sort of don’t like it when they do that, and wasn’t really bothered about getting it early, but wanted the souped up dirt 1 dlc tracksthat come with it, and the price for the pc version was not so bad.

Good to read sone initial thoughts, disappointing to hear about the rumble a feedback effects being.toned down though on the wheel. 

RallyCross is a weird one. I fucking love watching it, moreso than proper rallying these days but in game form I just don’t enjoy it as much. I’m sure they’ll be fine though. 

yeah i'm trying to remember how the force feedback was in the original, it's probably pretty similar tbh, it's not bad, just missing some of the more fun effects, the important stuff is there anway.

i had a go of the rallycross because it was a daily challenge, i really need a map in that mode, or do a quick practice first because i don't know where the track goes, they're pretty short so easy to learn though i guess.

and there are unfortunately problems with the single player career mode struff needing connection to racenet to work, and the connection to racenet seems a bit flakey :(

also wanted to post this, just because

Just been reading about the always online stuff even in SP career mode today. Why do they do it?!?! It just angers everyone for no good reason. Arseholes. They’ve made some really shitty decisions this time which is really disappointing when the first was one of those instances where you could tell it was a game made for the fans. 

The force feedback stuff sounds like its just broken or not implemented properly  too from what ive read. There’s complaints all over Reddit and Twitter about it. - only read this 2nd hand as I don’t use those sites but along with your thoughts I’d say it’s probably right. Bet it’ll be sorted in a later patch, rubbish though when I want to use my wheel as soon as I get it not a few weeks/months depending when they sort it. 

Yeah totally agree about the always online.

just want to clarify my thoughts on the ffb though, I don’t think it’s broken, the important effects that help you catch slides and stuff like that are there and working fine. Could it be better, yes it could and probably should be, and yeah it does seem like some effect are missing (but much less important ones, imo anyway, and I can’t remember if the first one had these either), but how it is now wouldn’t put me off playing it with a wheel at all, it’s great fun. Imo anyway. I’ve not read any of this reddit/twitter stuff.

^ sorry for being a bit defensive there, what i'm saying probably does backup the ffb complaints, but i guess what i'm also saying is that isn't affecting my enjoyment of the game. the more i play it the more i like it, the handling is great, quite a step up over the first game i think. there's some wider dirt stages too so you can throw the car around a bit which is great fun. of course it's totally infuriatingly difficult too, the tarmac stage in the rain is nuts, i had to wack the abs on max and was still struggling. the connecting to racenet was loads better today too so maybe they've fixed that.