DifferentClass

Why the Heck Would You Play it on Switch?

I’d just like to confirm the fact I do understand why people use the Switch. Hell, I’ve put a lot more time in Smash Bros and the Switch version of Rocket League than I would have if I couldn’t play it while my other half is watching tv. Or during the time we were stuck in hospital waiting room then waiting for tablets. Or when I’ve been on train or bus to London. As well as a few other times. I completely understand it, I was mainly saying my comment in the other thread in a jokey, “banter” way.

Thats not to say my complaints aren’t completely valid to me. And I don’t think it’s a very good console all in all, I’d never pick it above the PS4 or Xbox One when I’ve got access to the TV. Apart from when I was playing through Odyssey. I still choose to buy any multi format games on the PS4 and Xbox even if I’d be able to play it more frequently on the Switch. Mainly for the reasons I said previous. I almost bought Dead Cells for it because I love it so much and would like to be able to play it more but I just wouldn’t enjoy it anywhere near as much. It’s just become the console to play my Nintendo games on just as all their others do. Saying that, it wipes the floor with the Wii and Wii U, they were shite. 

Also reading the “Switch when” comments and hearing on loads of podcasts “I wish it was on Switch/when’s it coming to Switch” has become very tiresome especially when they then disregard that games quality because it’s not on the Switch. And as has been said, some games just aren’t suited to it. & yes, there’s loads of phrases within the gaming community that become tiresome, just pointing out this has become another is all. 

Anyway I can sum it up like this - the Switch is a bit meh. Stop fucking going on about it! 😉

A bit 'meh?' 

Considering the quality of the exclusives already on the system, first, second and third party, that comment is comically dismissive.

Under New York there's a river of purple Switchs bubbling away, and a giant picture of Reggie in a museum being restored 

32 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

Under New York there's a river of purple Switchs bubbling away, and a giant picture of Reggie in a museum being restored 

No good can come from anything to do with Ghostbusters II, stop it or I’ll ban you.

4 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

Under New York there's a river of purple Switchs bubbling away.

Bet the JoyCons are still shit.

50 minutes ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

Bet the JoyCons are still shit.

they tried using them to control the Statue of Liberty but they kept losing signal

Spoiler

fuck you illdog 🖕

I really like the vita remote play as well, well when it works, just a pity you need someone to switch the PS4 on.....

Big games I will probably stick to the bigger consoles the experience is just better, but the Nintendo games have been awesome I’m looking forward to what else they can get out of the little console.

The Switch is the only console I have (at this time). My new PC tower has no games on it, nor will that change for the foreseeable future. Lastly, I don't currently have a TV either, so the PS4 isn't viable. Traditionally, I have previously always accommodated a Nintendo and a Sony console for my gaming needs, up until my PS3 broke in 2014. That said, gaming isn't all that big a priority to me anymore. So in that respect, the nature of the Switch better reflects my situation. 

Picking up on two points, from earlier in the thread.

I've played Fighters since I was 7-8 (whenever Street Fighter 2/Mortal Kombat came out) and never used the Stick. This didn't change til Soul Calibur, many years later. Even then, I'm only referring to controller thumb sticks. I find the "original" Arcade stick, alien and awkward.

Likewise in my experience the worst D-Pad I've ever used would belong to the Dreamcast. The Wave Bird and 360 pad being joint second to that. The Switch pad is one of the better ones of the past few years, from Nintendo at least.

I think you've misunderstood regarding the analogue stick, assuming that's what you mean by 'stick', no one was advocating that for fighters (2d fighters at least).

You're entitled to like what you like obviously, but 4 buttons isn't a d-pad nor is it as good as a d-pad. Anecdotally I can speak to my performance improving by using a hori pad with a d-pad in platformers and fighters rather than the Joy Con, and it sounds like I'm not the only one. I suspect if you took two well matched players, gave one of them a d-pad and the other a joycon, the d-pad player would win more fights as time went on

fwiw I think the joycon is the worst Nintendo "d-pad" since the gamecube, but I also don't think Nintendo have nailed one since the Snes. I'd also say the Dreamcast d-pad was the best of its generation by a long, long way, the only one that comes close is the PS2 and that wasn't great. The Xbox and the gamecube were awful

@RikSP  they're the ones I was looking at. I don't want one that looks like that, but the plain ones haven't been released over here (yet?), I don't want to pay a premium for import tax from Play-Asia. Hopefully they bring a few more variants over

On 24/02/2019 at 20:58, DANGERMAN said:

I think you've misunderstood regarding the analogue stick, assuming that's what you mean by 'stick', no one was advocating that for fighters (2d fighters at least).

You're entitled to like what you like obviously, but 4 buttons isn't a d-pad nor is it as good as a d-pad. Anecdotally I can speak to my performance improving by using a hori pad with a d-pad in platformers and fighters rather than the Joy Con, and it sounds like I'm not the only one. I suspect if you took two well matched players, gave one of them a d-pad and the other a joycon, the d-pad player would win more fights as time went on

fwiw I think the joycon is the worst Nintendo "d-pad" since the gamecube, but I also don't think Nintendo have nailed one since the Snes. I'd also say the Dreamcast d-pad was the best of its generation by a long, long way, the only one that comes close is the PS2 and that wasn't great. The Xbox and the gamecube were awful

More or less everyone I've ever spoken to from the Fighting Game community talks about using an arcade stick for Fighters, exclusively. My own preference is analogue sticks/D-Pad, which is often deemed "heresy" by more avid fans. 

I don't think any of the games I've played on Switch so far have used the 'D-Pad' but size alone makes it better that whatever the hell they were thinking with the Gamecube controller. It actually reminds me of the PSOne D-pad to be fair, with rounded off buttons..

s-l300.jpg

The Dreamcast D-Pad, my most enduring memory is it was so sharp you could cut your thumb on it. That is bad ergonomics, regardless of how responsive it was. Playing on my brother's 360, what even is that D-pad good for???

@OCH I had a Dreamcast light gun. I loved it, looked nice, worked well, but after about 20 minutes it would start to rub on the inside of my thumb. Maybe Sega just made lumpy stuff that generation

21 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

@OCH I had a Dreamcast light gun. I loved it, looked nice, worked well, but after about 20 minutes it would start to rub on the inside of my thumb. Maybe Sega just made lumpy stuff that generation

It does make you wonder if Nintendo or Sony could have made the Dreamcast the success it deserved to be? The first console with online capability and all that...

I keep thinking about picking up another Dreamcast and getting the collection back together. Then I think it's probably best left in the past. As for dpad, I've got no memories either way of the DC one. 

Using a controller for fighting games isn't at all considered heracy.  Many pros use them and often win top tournaments. 

It's always just been about preference.