passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Why the Heck Would You Play it on Switch?

HandsomeDead

I think you've misunderstood regarding the analogue stick, assuming that's what you mean by 'stick', no one was advocating that for fighters (2d fighters at least).

You're entitled to like what you like obviously, but 4 buttons isn't a d-pad nor is it as good as a d-pad. Anecdotally I can speak to my performance improving by using a hori pad with a d-pad in platformers and fighters rather than the Joy Con, and it sounds like I'm not the only one. I suspect if you took two well matched players, gave one of them a d-pad and the other a joycon, the d-pad player would win more fights as time went on

fwiw I think the joycon is the worst Nintendo "d-pad" since the gamecube, but I also don't think Nintendo have nailed one since the Snes. I'd also say the Dreamcast d-pad was the best of its generation by a long, long way, the only one that comes close is the PS2 and that wasn't great. The Xbox and the gamecube were awful

On 24/02/2019 at 20:58, DANGERMAN said:

I think you've misunderstood regarding the analogue stick, assuming that's what you mean by 'stick', no one was advocating that for fighters (2d fighters at least).

You're entitled to like what you like obviously, but 4 buttons isn't a d-pad nor is it as good as a d-pad. Anecdotally I can speak to my performance improving by using a hori pad with a d-pad in platformers and fighters rather than the Joy Con, and it sounds like I'm not the only one. I suspect if you took two well matched players, gave one of them a d-pad and the other a joycon, the d-pad player would win more fights as time went on

fwiw I think the joycon is the worst Nintendo "d-pad" since the gamecube, but I also don't think Nintendo have nailed one since the Snes. I'd also say the Dreamcast d-pad was the best of its generation by a long, long way, the only one that comes close is the PS2 and that wasn't great. The Xbox and the gamecube were awful

More or less everyone I've ever spoken to from the Fighting Game community talks about using an arcade stick for Fighters, exclusively. My own preference is analogue sticks/D-Pad, which is often deemed "heresy" by more avid fans. 

I don't think any of the games I've played on Switch so far have used the 'D-Pad' but size alone makes it better that whatever the hell they were thinking with the Gamecube controller. It actually reminds me of the PSOne D-pad to be fair, with rounded off buttons..

s-l300.jpg

The Dreamcast D-Pad, my most enduring memory is it was so sharp you could cut your thumb on it. That is bad ergonomics, regardless of how responsive it was. Playing on my brother's 360, what even is that D-pad good for???

21 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

@OCH I had a Dreamcast light gun. I loved it, looked nice, worked well, but after about 20 minutes it would start to rub on the inside of my thumb. Maybe Sega just made lumpy stuff that generation

It does make you wonder if Nintendo or Sony could have made the Dreamcast the success it deserved to be? The first console with online capability and all that...