DifferentClass

Why the Heck Would You Play it on Switch?

2 minutes ago, DifferentClass said:

I'm only defending the d-pad as I think it works well enough for the games I play. I play a ton of platformers on the Switch and I find I don't play any worse or better than I do on anything else. I certainly don't want to do any quarter circles or z motions on it, but general use its fine.  Not good.  Fine. 

I don't understand this. I think it's a handheld with the option to play on your TV and I feel like my posts reflect that.  Expecting it to complete exactly with the other home consoles is unrealistic all things considering. They've had underpowered consoles compared to the competition for three generations now.  Surely at this point people know where Nintendo's vision and priorities are?

it is their home console though, it's not solely that, that's why it's a decent machine. As a handheld it's not underpowered at all. The only people who expect it to compete are those people who want ports from those consoles. I don't really want to be this reductive, but why do you think it's called the Switch?

12 minutes ago, Nag said:

Stop being such a salty prick, it was a comment...

I'm trying to follow a thread and you're bringing up stuff no-one said and giving no context. 

If people out there are saying stuff you disagree with then argue with them. 

I don't think posts should be deleted so much.  There is a good lesson of forum etiquette here. How to have debates on what is actually said rather than pulling from randos on Resetera and moaning about them. 

Pretty certain you turned a off hand remark into something more...

2 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

it is their home console though, it's not solely that, that's why it's a decent machine. As a handheld it's not underpowered at all. The only people who expect it to compete are those people who want ports from those consoles. I don't really want to be this reductive, but why do you think it's called the Switch?

Because it's name is marketing.  Arguably, it does what it says on the tin. 

But, as people with an invested interest in games we can be realistic to what that means and decide whether the ports' shortcomings are worth the price of the Switch's positives. 

1 minute ago, Nag said:

Pretty certain you turned a off hand remark into something more...

I always aim to communicate exactly what is on the screen.  Sorry if it came across differently. 

11 minutes ago, DifferentClass said:

Because it's name is marketing.  Arguably, it does what it says on the tin. 

But, as people with an invested interest in games we can be realistic to what that means and decide whether the ports' shortcomings are worth the price of the Switch's positives. 

and what is that marketing trying to convey? Why that and not something else

To the latter point, I agree. I think as time goes on we'll see more definition about what the Switch is good for. I think it, and whatever they upgrade it to, is going to get left a long way behind when the new consoles come out, so the it's going to get defined one way or another anyway

To be fair @DifferentClass you're doing a bang up job of following two separate strands of thought in this thread, way did it throw you so much yesterday?

I'm interested to hear how my various strands of thought don't link up.  I can do a better job of explaining. 

I think you've misunderstood that...

Anyway, in the interests of trying to make this thread no shitter than it already is I'm done, I'm supposed to be at work after all.🤣🤣

It's been an interesting thread, though.

For me it's all about the convenience of the sleep function. Like @RikSP, being able to dip in and out of games is the clincher.

And in respect of the Witcher 3 I suppose the question to root out the true, unashamed Switcher is, 'would you buy a graphically reduced and possibly more expensive (but perfectly playable) version of this game just to have it on the Switch?'

Two years ago I would have answered with a bold and enthusiastic 'yes.'

Two years on it would probably be a more considered 'just.'

The Switch is a godsend for when you’ve gotta wait for Anthem to load 😂

I can't believe you've got shit like RE2 on your to play list but you've chosen to play, for all intents and purposes, an incomplete game... Get your shit together @Blakey.😉

I know I know @Nag 😭 

I’ll hopefully be able to squeeze it in in between finishing KH3 and starting DMC5 😘

To be honest I thought you'd already done with KH3, my bad... @Blakey

4 hours ago, Blakey said:

The Switch is a godsend for when you’ve gotta wait for Anthem to load 😂

Or the train to turn up for that matter. Especially if there’s been a suicide.