passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Why the Heck Would You Play it on Switch?

HandsomeDead

11 minutes ago, DifferentClass said:

Because it's name is marketing.  Arguably, it does what it says on the tin. 

But, as people with an invested interest in games we can be realistic to what that means and decide whether the ports' shortcomings are worth the price of the Switch's positives. 

and what is that marketing trying to convey? Why that and not something else

To the latter point, I agree. I think as time goes on we'll see more definition about what the Switch is good for. I think it, and whatever they upgrade it to, is going to get left a long way behind when the new consoles come out, so the it's going to get defined one way or another anyway

It's been an interesting thread, though.

For me it's all about the convenience of the sleep function. Like @RikSP, being able to dip in and out of games is the clincher.

And in respect of the Witcher 3 I suppose the question to root out the true, unashamed Switcher is, 'would you buy a graphically reduced and possibly more expensive (but perfectly playable) version of this game just to have it on the Switch?'

Two years ago I would have answered with a bold and enthusiastic 'yes.'

Two years on it would probably be a more considered 'just.'

I’d just like to confirm the fact I do understand why people use the Switch. Hell, I’ve put a lot more time in Smash Bros and the Switch version of Rocket League than I would have if I couldn’t play it while my other half is watching tv. Or during the time we were stuck in hospital waiting room then waiting for tablets. Or when I’ve been on train or bus to London. As well as a few other times. I completely understand it, I was mainly saying my comment in the other thread in a jokey, “banter” way.

Thats not to say my complaints aren’t completely valid to me. And I don’t think it’s a very good console all in all, I’d never pick it above the PS4 or Xbox One when I’ve got access to the TV. Apart from when I was playing through Odyssey. I still choose to buy any multi format games on the PS4 and Xbox even if I’d be able to play it more frequently on the Switch. Mainly for the reasons I said previous. I almost bought Dead Cells for it because I love it so much and would like to be able to play it more but I just wouldn’t enjoy it anywhere near as much. It’s just become the console to play my Nintendo games on just as all their others do. Saying that, it wipes the floor with the Wii and Wii U, they were shite. 

Also reading the “Switch when” comments and hearing on loads of podcasts “I wish it was on Switch/when’s it coming to Switch” has become very tiresome especially when they then disregard that games quality because it’s not on the Switch. And as has been said, some games just aren’t suited to it. & yes, there’s loads of phrases within the gaming community that become tiresome, just pointing out this has become another is all. 

Anyway I can sum it up like this - the Switch is a bit meh. Stop fucking going on about it! ?

32 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

Under New York there's a river of purple Switchs bubbling away, and a giant picture of Reggie in a museum being restored 

No good can come from anything to do with Ghostbusters II, stop it or I’ll ban you.

I really like the vita remote play as well, well when it works, just a pity you need someone to switch the PS4 on.....

Big games I will probably stick to the bigger consoles the experience is just better, but the Nintendo games have been awesome I’m looking forward to what else they can get out of the little console.

The Switch is the only console I have (at this time). My new PC tower has no games on it, nor will that change for the foreseeable future. Lastly, I don't currently have a TV either, so the PS4 isn't viable. Traditionally, I have previously always accommodated a Nintendo and a Sony console for my gaming needs, up until my PS3 broke in 2014. That said, gaming isn't all that big a priority to me anymore. So in that respect, the nature of the Switch better reflects my situation. 

Picking up on two points, from earlier in the thread.

I've played Fighters since I was 7-8 (whenever Street Fighter 2/Mortal Kombat came out) and never used the Stick. This didn't change til Soul Calibur, many years later. Even then, I'm only referring to controller thumb sticks. I find the "original" Arcade stick, alien and awkward.

Likewise in my experience the worst D-Pad I've ever used would belong to the Dreamcast. The Wave Bird and 360 pad being joint second to that. The Switch pad is one of the better ones of the past few years, from Nintendo at least.