passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Why the Heck Would You Play it on Switch?

HandsomeDead

So @mfnick and Nag don't understand why some people would play multi-format games on the likeable Switch.  And I feel this is a place full of articulate people we could maybe help them understand.  Rather then do this in the Random News thread it may be worth starting a new one.   I like to play a lot of my games on the Switch over the PS4 and I'm gonna say why:

1: Portability;  This is the obvious one, and while I don't go far with my Switch I have developed a habit of playing games with YouTube and podcasts playing on my PS4 in the background.  I feel like a man of leisure doing this, getting deep in political podcasts about Brexit while I do my runs on Dead Cells in handheld mode.  I'm a multi-tasking king.

2: Those Gyro Controls;  I am such a big advocate for these, they genuinely help me enjoy console shooters so, so much more than on PS4.  Use the analogue sticks to put an enemy in your direction and then subtly use the gyro controls to get that head shot with much less fuss and inaccuracy I do with analogue sticks alone.  It's why I prefer to play Warframe on Switch, and why I hope to pick up DOOM '16 on it at some point (I do own it on PS4 when I want the graphics and frames.  Heck yeah I'll double dip for it).

They are my only reasons, really, but they are broad and cover a lot of games.

I won't be buying fighting games on Switch for the most part as I'm a stick user and I have an expensive one for my PS4, and I prefer racing games with analogue triggers so I'd likely get those on PS4, too.  And any online game where everyone else is on PS4 (except Warframe because those gyro controls, man).  But other than that, I want it on Switch.

@Nag @DifferentClass I'm going to delete your last few posts just so this isn't a complete shitfest immediately 

The portability is the tempting thing with the Switch. My instinct is to pick up smaller burst stuff, including the Neo Geo games and the like on the Switch, so I can just pick up the console and play them. It's what's got me back in to Football Manager, that and the Touch version being less work. And had it been out on time I'd have possibly picked up Dragon Quest on Switch, I like my rpgs to be handheld

That being said, it's a better concept than it is a console. The controls are terrible, the "d-pad" is appalling, the alphabet dyslexic, the shoulder buttons only digital, the analogue sticks don't allow for enough movement. It's uncomfortable to hold as a handheld, it's not much better using the joycons as a controller, assuming they work properly.

You've no guarantee how a game is going to run from title to title, I'd hate to have the Switch as my only gaming machine for that reason. I don't really trust Nintendo digitally, the games cost more than they should (I like the eshop credit), plus they've got a cheek charging for their online

oh, I also worry that we're going to see the death of the kind of games you got on the DS and 3DS because the Switch allows for more modern 3D games.

It's impressive that a tablet can do what it does, but it is underpowered as a home console, which I know will be countered with "it's a handheld", but the whole point of it is both, and it's not great at the latter. People will shrug and say "Mario/Zelda/whatever" are good, and it does have good games, and some good looking games, but I'd hate for it to be my only gaming machine

That’s not how I read it @Nag chill out. 

My answer would have been because it’s the only console I own but now it’s entirely dependent on the game I guess. If it’s indie I’m far more likely to buy it on switch because portability. But say if an fps came out for everything, all versions identical, I’d likely just go xb1 if it’s the cheapest option. But if it cost the same it wouldn’t make sense to go xb1 ?

Come to think of it I don’t have an answer and I’m sorry about this. 

I think I really don't like the Switch tbh. It's got probably the game of the generation on it (Breath of the Wild) but I'm always frustrated by how bad it feels to play certain games on it. 

Itwas nice to have portable Dark Souls but it was also kind of a lo-grade port with bad audio. Bayo has tons of slowdown when things are on fire and unfortunately the harder difficulties are full of on-fire enemies (also my fave weapon is fire based, the gurba or whatever it's called). It feels really bad. That's not even getting into stuff like joycons being rubbish or weird enforced motion control in certain Nintendo games (reason why I stopped playing Pokémon, I literally couldn't put up with it anymore)

But as these examples illustrate I tend to go for that sort of "git gud" 3D action genre. I think if RPG had more of a Switch presence I'd change my view. FFXII is coming soon and that's a game I dearly want on a small screen.

I love being able to dip in and out of games. 

Some games just ‘feel better’ playing handheld, probably for the dip in and out reason.

It’s as simple as that. There are plenty of multi platform games I’d prefer to play on the Switch. I’ll happily take a graphic reduction if it makes playing it more convenient for me any day.  

34 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

That being said, it's a better concept than it is a console. The controls are terrible, the "d-pad" is appalling, the alphabet dyslexic, the shoulder buttons only digital, the analogue sticks don't allow for enough movement. It's uncomfortable to hold as a handheld, it's not much better using the joycons as a controller, assuming they work properly.

The d-pad is not that bad, no worse (if not better) than the WASD control scheme, the alphabet is the same since the SNES days and the rest is all subjective.

37 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

oh, I also worry that we're going to see the death of the kind of games you got on the DS and 3DS because the Switch allows for more modern 3D games.

They just announced a Link's Awakening port and the eShop is full of the kind of stuff that would come out on the 3DS.

41 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

It's impressive that a tablet can do what it does, but it is underpowered as a home console, which I know will be countered with "it's a handheld", but the whole point of it is both, and it's not great at the latter. People will shrug and say "Mario/Zelda/whatever" are good, and it does have good games, and some good looking games, but I'd hate for it to be my only gaming machine

It's a handheld that you can play on your TV.  So many people wouldn't play great DS/3DS games because they weren't on their TV.  The Switch gives you that option.  Nothing can truly be both a home and handheld console and having that expectation is wrong.  I don't think it's even pushed as an equivalent to the home consoles.  Sometimes it keeps up but you just need to look at the games you can get for it to see where it lands.

And I play my Switch loads more than my PS4 so I think I'd be fine if it was my only console.

Tbf, I think I know what nag is talking about and it's maybe not specific to anyone on this forum. Over on resetera for instance you can get these particularly salty types of Switch fans who get angry when you say games likeREVII or dmc5 will not run native on Switch. Not without massive stripping out of features that changes the very nature of the bloody thing itself.

The thing is if the Switch became the technical "floor" of current gen multiplat development it hinders what Devs can do on the top end machines as well.

50 minutes ago, DifferentClass said:

The d-pad is not that bad, no worse (if not better) than the WASD control scheme, the alphabet is the same since the SNES days and the rest is all subjective.

They just announced a Link's Awakening port and the eShop is full of the kind of stuff that would come out on the 3DS.

It's a handheld that you can play on your TV.  So many people wouldn't play great DS/3DS games because they weren't on their TV.  The Switch gives you that option.  Nothing can truly be both a home and handheld console and having that expectation is wrong.  I don't think it's even pushed as an equivalent to the home consoles.  Sometimes it keeps up but you just need to look at the games you can get for it to see where it lands.

And I play my Switch loads more than my PS4 so I think I'd be fine if it was my only console.

I don't play fighting games, arcade games, platformers with a keyboard, the types of games you'd expect to find on a console. It's an awful d-pad, I'm not sure why you're defending it. Nintendo not knowing the alphabet isn't made better with time. Also, the joycons not working is a known issue, it's not subjective

A zelda game isn't the case to win me over. Where are the Atlus stuff and the like?

The "it's a handheld" argument is such bullshit whenever I see it. It's called the Switch, it's whole purpose is to be both. You can't make a thread bigging up its portability as a selling factor then 4 posts later ignore why that's a novelty. It's both a handheld and a home console, it comes with a dock, it comes with a controller adapter, they sell a pro controller for it, Nintendo said it's the follow up to the Switch, not to the 3DS (although it probably is), it is their home console

Good for you, I'm not entirely sure why that's relevant to my feelings on the Switch, nor am I entirely sure it's true. FWIW I'm not sure there's a single platform I'd be happy with as my sole option, PS4 and PC, for their sheer breadth of games seem like the best options, but you're still missing out on the good Switch (and formally 3DS) stuff

The Switch’s portability is a huge bonus, but I would say only for relaxing games that don’t require fast or precise movement (which covers a lot of games). I’m not a big fan of the Switch controls either, the difference between playing The Messenger docked and in handheld mode was like night and day. I can’t imagine playing through Hollow Knight using the Switch’s controls, but I guess a lot of people have...

Portability is good (in my case for playing in bed, I rarely take my Switch outside the house) but for me the main draw is the friendly “environment” and good feeling i get from using the Switch. When I play on Steam I don’t really feel connected to my online friends (anymore, I guess I did at one point), but on Switch, I always check what everyone else has been playing, it feels like more of a community. And the Switch orange and white menus are bright and colourful, not to mention the large colourful gaming icons.

So that’s why I’m very much in the “i’ll get it on Switch” camp. However I’ve no interest in playing heavily compromised versions of AAA games on the Switch.

I'm only defending the d-pad as I think it works well enough for the games I play. I play a ton of platformers on the Switch and I find I don't play any worse or better than I do on anything else. I certainly don't want to do any quarter circles or z motions on it, but general use its fine.  Not good.  Fine. 

13 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

The "it's a handheld" argument is such bullshit whenever I see it. It's called the Switch, it's whole purpose is to be both. You can't make a thread bigging up its portability as a selling factor then 4 posts later ignore why that's a novelty. It's both a handheld and a home console, it comes with a dock, it comes with a controller adapter, they sell a pro controller for it, Nintendo said it's the follow up to the Switch, not to the 3DS (although it probably is), it is their home console

I don't understand this. I think it's a handheld with the option to play on your TV and I feel like my posts reflect that.  Expecting it to complete exactly with the other home consoles is unrealistic all things considering. They've had underpowered consoles compared to the competition for three generations now.  Surely at this point people know where Nintendo's vision and priorities are?

2 minutes ago, DifferentClass said:

I'm only defending the d-pad as I think it works well enough for the games I play. I play a ton of platformers on the Switch and I find I don't play any worse or better than I do on anything else. I certainly don't want to do any quarter circles or z motions on it, but general use its fine.  Not good.  Fine. 

I don't understand this. I think it's a handheld with the option to play on your TV and I feel like my posts reflect that.  Expecting it to complete exactly with the other home consoles is unrealistic all things considering. They've had underpowered consoles compared to the competition for three generations now.  Surely at this point people know where Nintendo's vision and priorities are?

it is their home console though, it's not solely that, that's why it's a decent machine. As a handheld it's not underpowered at all. The only people who expect it to compete are those people who want ports from those consoles. I don't really want to be this reductive, but why do you think it's called the Switch?

12 minutes ago, Nag said:

Stop being such a salty prick, it was a comment...

I'm trying to follow a thread and you're bringing up stuff no-one said and giving no context. 

If people out there are saying stuff you disagree with then argue with them. 

I don't think posts should be deleted so much.  There is a good lesson of forum etiquette here. How to have debates on what is actually said rather than pulling from randos on Resetera and moaning about them. 

2 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

it is their home console though, it's not solely that, that's why it's a decent machine. As a handheld it's not underpowered at all. The only people who expect it to compete are those people who want ports from those consoles. I don't really want to be this reductive, but why do you think it's called the Switch?

Because it's name is marketing.  Arguably, it does what it says on the tin. 

But, as people with an invested interest in games we can be realistic to what that means and decide whether the ports' shortcomings are worth the price of the Switch's positives.