Sign in to follow this  
Blakey

Google Stadia

I was really looking forward to a “Netflix of games” type service, but I want to be able to download my games like on the Xbox so the streaming latency issue is no longer  a issue as most of the games I like are the type where itd negatively effect my experience. Such as racing games, shooters (Cuphead style) and precision, twitch games like Dead Cells, Super Meat Boy, Celeste, Trials etc. 

However as much as I love Game Pass and see this a good idea if it’s sub based and has a good selection of games, the relatively recent incorporation of in game transactions make me really, really concerned about subscription based gaming becoming the norm. Moreso than the streaming side. Which would be fine for a lot of the more story based games. 

What worries me is that if publishers and developers are no longer getting a lot of their money from the sale of games they’re going to double down on ways to milk us to make up for it in the actual games hemselves. The in game transactions are going to become even more intrusive, larger, in your face and more common to make up for it. I doubt the amount they get from Google, MS etc. From the subscription pot will be anywhere near what they could make from actual sales. So they’ll have to make it up from implementing even more nefarious in game monetisation. 

I need to do more research but from what I understand the sub system has actually negatively effected the movie and the music industries. Especially the music side. I think it has actually helped the TV series style side though so hopefully for games it’ll work that way. 

Its worrying but as long as there’s a way I can download and purchase my games in the traditional way as well as through these streaming and sub based directional then I’m good for a many years yet at least. Until something like Strada gets too big and it’s  no longer viable to create the type of gaming experiences I like anymore anyway being as in business even if something is profitable after you reach a certain size it’s not worth them doing unless it’s raking huge amounts in. 

I’m watching the conference and can’t help feel like this is like those movies with the evil tech corporation who stands on stage and promises a bright future but behind the clean, well presented smile are actually stealing bits of dna straight from your brain and putting them in robots that work for them so once you die they own your soul forever until their robot army out numbers humans and then the earth burns like a match in a never ending war against your ancestor machines controlled by their AI programme deep mind or whatever they’re calling it 

Seems cool, I like it 

It really doesn't have to be so doom and gloom.  I don't see this as a replacement but an addition.  For twitch action games, fighting games or those sort of things there is no reason to think locally running consoles are going anywhere.  At the very least Nintendo are stubborn enough to survive a mostly streaming future (if it happens).

And, potentially I can see this being a good thing for AAA games.  I'm not saying this will happen but it fits.  Big AAA games tend to have to hit that 8 - 10 hours of duration or be a bloated open world to justify a £50 price tag.  I think with a AAA game designed for a streaming service in mind, since people are paying a flat fee monthly, you can make it much smaller, or episodic.  Have a tight 2 - 3 just packed with cool ideas.

At least thats the brightest timeline.

I don’t see it as the end of the world as much as the start of a new one. Where World War 3 will be between Google and Apple and take place on the Fortnite map. 

1 hour ago, DifferentClass said:

or episodic

I actually think that fad has started to pass a little, to be honest I was never that much of a fan of it in the first place but that's just me.

@DifferentClass has a very good point.

It sort of reminds me when iTunes started up and people could cherry pick songs from an album. As a result albums supposedly saw an increase in quality overall instead of packing them out with filler.

It could go in either direction. The newer games that end up on these services could be all killer no filler or they could end up being packed out and bloated to warrant their price point.

EA have been very smart with that Origins Access thing they've done. I know that's not streaming but from a concept of distributing games through a subscription. You have a rolling thing where a game on the service has content drops every 3 or 4 weeks across several games and eventually you're going to make more money than the original one off payment you might have gotten. More so if the players end up buying MTX within those games.