passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Google Stadia

DisturbedSwan

"Only" £120? ?

Well tbf that is pretty little these days ?

It depends on what you want out of this tech I suppose. If it's just to play games on your phone when you're away from your home systems then Stadia is probably fine. But if you're looking for a credible alternative to a console then imo Stadia has a lot stacked against it, if what they're currently showing is how they figure the consumer experience should be. Visually it just takes a massive hit when on a bigger screen. Which might be why MK looked so pretty on a phone.

Also I think Bethesda have gotten a raw deal of the cross marketing here. As instead of seeing loads of articles about how raw and fast Doom Eternal is compared to the first one we're seeing lots of write ups on how Doom on Stadia is less rubbish than you might expect.

(Or maybe Eternal isn't very good...)

I’m it’s ideal target really owning neither Xbox or Sony. If it works ok I could see me getting this down the line for Cyberpunk as I have a 4K and 100mb internet. 

@Blakey That was called having no money to buy food with. I didn’t want to sell it, but I didn’t cry over it either. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://www.pcgamesn.com/stadia/negative-latency-prediction?fbclid=IwAR1xWXvjUWCd45skllij8Mrnfq-qSBjBUSI1NWk4HYtNZL_XvBAmzn2ehPg

"Negative latency". What is that?

Specifically Bakar notes Google’s “negative latency” will act as a workaround for any potential lag between player and server. This term describes a buffer of predicted latency, inherent to a Stadia players setup or connection, in which the Stadia system will run lag mitigation. This can include increasing fps rapidly to reduce latency between player input and display, or even predictive button presses.

Yes, you heard that correctly. Stadia might start predicting what action, button, or movement you’re likely to do next and do it for you – which sounds rather frightening.

This sounds like the kind of thing which could be really good for one type of game and really awful for another.

Something like a driving game and open world could probably get away with predicting your movements like this and sending it ahead of time. Aiming in a shooting game could benefit from this... Doom felt bad to me cause of the aiming.

A fighting game would be something where this predictive stuff seems destined to fall on its arse. Mortal Kombat felt really really shit, but that seemed to have other issues as well. Obviously no DMC will feel good here either.

Again, absolutely no interest in onboarding with this tech due to all the caveats (bad visuals when bandwidth drops, inconsistency with inputs for certain games). But the theory they propose with this anticipating your button presses stuff is interesting at least. Even if it only works with some stuff.

The predictive stuff is already kind of used in some fighting game net code. I'm not 100% sure how it works though. Not sure if it's right but the explanation I remember is that, let's say you throw a punch and that lasts for 5 frames, the code knows what you're doing for those frames so can use that time to buffer 

Although I will say I've not liked the feel of it always either 

Edit: Wiki's explanation

GGPO uses a netcode technique called “rollback”. Rather than waiting for input to be received from other players before simulating the next frame, GGPO predicts the inputs they will send and simulates the next frame without delay using that assumption. When other players’ inputs arrive, if any input didn’t match the prediction, GGPO rolls back the state of the game to the last correct state, then replays all players’ revised inputs back until the current frame. The hope is that the predictions will be correct most of the time, allowing smooth play with minimal sudden changes to the game state.[6][7] The system in itself is highly similar to client-side prediction, but applied to a peer-to-peer setup.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Stadia launch line up has been revealed 

• Assassin's Creed Odyssey
  • Destiny 2
  • Gylt
  • Just Dance 2020
  • Kine
  • Mortal Kombat 11
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Samurai Showdown
  • Thumper
  • Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Year Celebration Edition
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition

Destiny 2: The Collection will be the first free game offered through Stadia Pro, Google's subscription service that costs $9.99/month. The subscription gives players 4K resolution and HDR support, gameplay at 60fps, and 5.1 surround sound.

Before the end of the year, Stadia players will be able to buy Borderlands 3, Metro Exodus, Final Fantasy XV, and more. We also know of some games coming to Stadia after this year, like Cyberpunk 2077 and Doom: Eternal. The confirmed list of Google Stadia 2019 games, aside from the Stadia launch games lineup, is:

• Attack on Titan 2: Final Battle
  • Borderlands 3
  • Darksiders Genesis
  • Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
  • Farming Simulator 19
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • Football Manager 2020
  • Ghost Recon Breakpoint
  • GRID
  • Metro Exodus
  • NBA 2K20
  • Rage 2
  • Trials Rising
  • Wolfenstein: Youngblood

14 hours ago, wiivo 2.0 said:

Will these old games be priced competitively or just standard digital £50-£60

What ?!?! I've seriously overlooked what this is all about - I thought Stadia was just an online streaming service with monthly subscription rather than following the OnLive model of buying 'games' too.

14 hours ago, wiivo 2.0 said:

Will these old games be priced competitively or just standard digital £50-£60

I've honestly no idea. I believe Stadia Pro subscribers get discounts on games and then 1/2 free games a month but beyond that I have no idea.

31 minutes ago, shinymcshine said:

What ?!?! I've seriously overlooked what this is all about - I thought Stadia was just an online streaming service with monthly subscription rather than following the OnLive model of buying 'games' too.

? you can go back through this thread if you want, all the info is there :) 

Stadia does have a monthly subscription called 'Pro' but that's if you wanna play in 4K and get 1/2 free games a month.