passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Google Stadia

DisturbedSwan

Blakey, you have a very different experience with public transport internet than I do ? and again, how often are people staying in hotels? If its that often and you want to play you've probably already got a solution 

46 minutes ago, DifferentClass said:

Spatular did and its a paraphrase of a sentiment that others have said. 

I just don't see it being a danger of being the one place for games even if it does blow up.  There is always going to be a market for the kind of games streaming just won't be suitable for.  How big that would be would also depends on all the elements in that equation

I think I'm just objecting to the message I'm getting that is "I don't want it, it could be shit so it's gonna fail and Is Bad".  It just seems to be a legitimate option to have for certain games.  I'd be up for a streaming service to play particularly nice looking / running versions of AAA games that don't require minimal imput lag that I could possibly get part of a subscription. 

I just hope it works out. 

I agree, smart phones, motion controls, even micro transactions have all supposedly been the death of traditional gaming. They may have made things worse/better/difference but we're still here, it's a question of if it's inevitable I guess 

I'm not sure that's what Spatular said though, he seemed to be saying there was a market for it 

@Blakey

Are the people in to this the same people who care about framerate and picture quality? I'd doubt it personally, those people have the best kit and care about latency, Google aren't even marketing this to those people 

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/06/06/stadia-will-use-a-terabyte-of-data-every-65-hours-of-4k-gaming

This is interesting and shows a big red flag for why it COULD fail. American data plans - even home ones - are horrendously strict on data use.

65 hours gaming isn't actually too far out there for an entire month, and that's on one of the highest data caps. That's gonna be the big difficulty I can see this facing, even more than the lag. Even over here, not everybody has unlimited data plans. And even the 'unlimited' ones massively restrict bandwidth once you pass a certain point. Imagine playing CoD, absolutely smashing the competition then all of a sudden you hit the bottom of the leaderboard because BT decide you've used too much data so must be punished.

If Google can COMPLETELY get around that, more power to them as far as I'm concerned.

1 hour ago, DifferentClass said:

Spatular did and its a paraphrase of a sentiment that others have said. 

i didn't mean to say no one wants it, if i did i just meant most people on a gaming forum who will have a console already probably won't want it. i don't really care that much about it either way and was trying to stay out of the conversation but people kept quoting me asking questions i don't know the answer to :lol:

You're right @DANGERMAN. I don't know exactly who Google are aiming this at - I guess casuals - but I still think it'll catch a few of the 'inbetweeners' (CoD/FIFA 1 or 2 game a year buyers) or lapsed gamers.

Could be a huge issue in the US @regemond and stymie the service over there unfortunately. Luckily we don't really have data limits here and I'm not sure they're popular in the rest of Europe either so it's not a worry for me over here in the EU anyway.

Was listening to the Beastcast on the way home and one of them brought up a potential customer type that I don’t think anyone has brought up here. Though I could well be wrong, difficult to wade through reams of text.

The type of person who wants the fanciest of PC tech games without the need to constantly upgrade hardware and keep on the ball. Granted, you have to hope it works as advertised, plus only play games that low latency won’t be as noticeable (ie, no fighting games), but you get arguably the best looking version of a game without the need to keep up to date with building a PC.

You also have to have a super stable, fast and fairly unlimited internet connection, but go back to the days of how long it would take to download a single MP3. At that time I was very proud of my CD collection and if you told me then that the future me would not buy any more music or films, but have subscriptions and stream or download them on the go, I would’ve laughed in your face. 

This will happen eventually.

17 hours ago, Blakey said:

When I'm watching stuff on Netflix I'm not wondering what the Bitrate is or comparing the picture to the 4K Blu-Rays I own, I'm just happy enough it's in 4K.

Do you do what I do and press info so it displays the resolution and you can’t turn it off until it’s reached HD or 4K?

@Hendo

We did talk about it. For me, if you care that much about having the best Stadia isn't it, bit rates and compression etc.

There is also a difference between music, films and games. It's the interactivity that makes this a problem, it's why I think it's more suited to service games where there's so much server side you get lag playing locally anyway 

I have trouble loading this forum and it's pages up on my Samsung S8 on either wi-fi or 4G let alone trying to play Destiny 2 on the go as an example. You'd better be prepared for amusingly named after animals connection faults in hotels or buses. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So Stadia. I tried this today. Mainly because Doom 2016 is one of my favourite current gen games so I'm excited for Eternal and the only way to play it at GC is on Stadia.

When you demo stadia they also let you play Mortal Kombat on a phone while waiting. I was really impressed by the visuals of this. Looking at it it seemed as good looking on a phone as I imagine it does on PC

But the menu was really laggy. I couldn't tell if the fighting was laggy too because I dont know how MK is supposed to feel but I did die a lot so I bet that's why, yes that's definitely the reason.

The audio was a mess. Sometimes I would hear attacks before seeing them and sometimes the opposite would happen. Something was clearly going wrong there, the other guy next to me had the same experience

As for DOOM, it feels like more of the same but slightly better so I'm maybe a little less excited by that. You have a dash cool down which can be used twice on the ground or in the air. The super shotgun has a hook cooldown on it which pulls you to an enemy and swings you off. So its both a distance closer and a dodge all in one, all very cool.

But in Stadia it ran at something like 30fps and looked washed out and low detail. Kind of like they ported it to Switch or something. Sometimes it would be fast and responsive but when you go into more busy areas the camera turn speed would get delayed. It just doesn't suit this kind of action. The whole experience reminded me of Onlive when I tried it back in 2011.

It could be that GC internet wasnt up to it, but Square Enix had 64 people playing ffxiv at any one time all day and it seemed fine when I was up there. So I dunno.

Anyway DOOM is probably fine but this wasnt a good way to show it off at all. Given that its turned it from a "must buy" to a "let's wait and see" for me.

Man I've got no idea what you're talking about.

The controllers were leashed to so close to the monitor that theres no way I could test a thing like that.

Anyway, read other people's impressions on Stadia. The sound issue I mentioned with MK has been picked up a lot so it might be a bug or something.

I suppose that if bad visuals is the worst problem Doom has then it's not as big an indictment of the tech as the issues MK had. Anyway I always knew this wasnt for me as I get really annoyed with any delay or inconsistency. Others might have a kinder view, but for God sake try and find a demo first if you can.

Wait, @one-armed dwarf you went to Gamescom Kyle? 

Your impressions sound more positive than I was expecting to be honest. Your time with DOOM sounded far more optimised for Stadia than MK11 though.

Still safe and sound @wiivo 2.0, it’s only £120 and if I don’t get on with it I’ll sell the Chromecast Ultra and Controller and move on, no biggie. I seem to remember you spending a similar amount on an Xbox earlier this year then selling it on ? it’s a bit of a punt, sure, but not a huge gamble at that price for me. I just want to try it on my own living room on my TV and see how I get on.

It seems the popular thing on the internet to hate on nowadays, as usual with things like that I’ll get it in my own hands, see it with my own eyes on my own TV and make my own impression. If it’s great no one will believe me anyway ?