passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Google Stadia

DisturbedSwan

Running on Linux (and Vulcan I guess) means they're potentially limiting themselves I guess, but getting Unreal and Unity should help that 

I think having the controller (probably just theirs) send the inputs without going through the chromecast/phone/pc is smart. It doesn't save much time but it should reduce lag. I do wonder if it will mean you'll get a disconnect between the image and the controls, hopefully that's something they've thought of 

This felt very much like a dev focused stream, which is fine, but having it so public was a bit odd. I was expecting more stuff to be revealed for their platform, even pricing or their model. If it free with ads and Google selling your data, is it a subscription, do you buy the games traditionally?

The stuff around the streaming tech is nothing I think people wouldn't have thought of, but no one has really done it before, like having your game auto stream (OnLive did this) so people can view it, but then having those people watching being able to join in. Having other people's screens show for multiplayer, again not a million miles from what OnLive did but a more full and useful application of it. Your viewers being able to join you is probably not something I'd use, but it's a cool, smart feature. Sharing a link that is basically a save point, there's no reason any cloud service couldn't do that, but it's a cool feature, something that would be great for competitions or demos

the power of it... It needs to be more powerful than the current gen, this gen is ending, it needs to be able to cope for the coming years. If this does take off Multiple cards will be used quite a bit in a few years time. I wonder if we'll start seeing wait times and the like or if they can make enough, and google will buy enough

They’re building towards 8k, I don’t think power will be an issue. It’s not like it’s a normal console approach. When the tech improves out there, it will on Stadia.

I would imagine the pricing will be a sub, same as they do for YouTube and the music thing.

It looks like they’ve put some proper thought and money into it, I’d be surprised if it doesn’t work right, depending on your own internet connection.

1 minute ago, Hendo said:

They’re building towards 8k, I don’t think power will be an issue. It’s not like it’s a normal console approach. When the tech improves out there, it will on Stadia.

I would imagine the pricing will be a sub, same as they do for YouTube and the music thing.

It looks like they’ve put some proper thought and money into it, I’d be surprised if it doesn’t work right, depending on your own internet connection.

I know, I was more responding to your post about it being more powerful than the consoles, it has to be otherwise they're going to be using more than one for every game. The plan will be to assign more to an individuals session as and when they need it

Google quite often puts stuff out that you can immediately see is going to fail, this seems like they might be doing it right, but we won't know without more details

and when I say 'right' I mean right for them, I still don't think this is a good thing for us

To clarify, I think it’s incredibly exciting and a genuine push forward. Whether it’s good in the long term or not remains to be seen.

And I’m pretty sure my net connection is not stable enough to run it, but fair play to them, they’re saying all the right things.

This isn’t the future of gaming. This is a tried and tested method that’s been improved and will become an option as to how to play with additional subscription costs.

The first third of the presentation was cringe. I was out when they put so much emphasis on “influences” and made out like you’d watch someone else play a game and press a link yourself and jump in  instantly totally skipping the screen that will display the pricing.

What they’ve announced is another method to play a select few third party titles that you may or may not have to pay for a second time if already owned by a method that holds no water if you are already invested into any console. 

I was really looking forward to a “Netflix of games” type service, but I want to be able to download my games like on the Xbox so the streaming latency issue is no longer  a issue as most of the games I like are the type where itd negatively effect my experience. Such as racing games, shooters (Cuphead style) and precision, twitch games like Dead Cells, Super Meat Boy, Celeste, Trials etc. 

However as much as I love Game Pass and see this a good idea if it’s sub based and has a good selection of games, the relatively recent incorporation of in game transactions make me really, really concerned about subscription based gaming becoming the norm. Moreso than the streaming side. Which would be fine for a lot of the more story based games. 

What worries me is that if publishers and developers are no longer getting a lot of their money from the sale of games they’re going to double down on ways to milk us to make up for it in the actual games hemselves. The in game transactions are going to become even more intrusive, larger, in your face and more common to make up for it. I doubt the amount they get from Google, MS etc. From the subscription pot will be anywhere near what they could make from actual sales. So they’ll have to make it up from implementing even more nefarious in game monetisation. 

I need to do more research but from what I understand the sub system has actually negatively effected the movie and the music industries. Especially the music side. I think it has actually helped the TV series style side though so hopefully for games it’ll work that way. 

Its worrying but as long as there’s a way I can download and purchase my games in the traditional way as well as through these streaming and sub based directional then I’m good for a many years yet at least. Until something like Strada gets too big and it’s  no longer viable to create the type of gaming experiences I like anymore anyway being as in business even if something is profitable after you reach a certain size it’s not worth them doing unless it’s raking huge amounts in. 

I’m watching the conference and can’t help feel like this is like those movies with the evil tech corporation who stands on stage and promises a bright future but behind the clean, well presented smile are actually stealing bits of dna straight from your brain and putting them in robots that work for them so once you die they own your soul forever until their robot army out numbers humans and then the earth burns like a match in a never ending war against your ancestor machines controlled by their AI programme deep mind or whatever they’re calling it 

Seems cool, I like it 

It really doesn't have to be so doom and gloom.  I don't see this as a replacement but an addition.  For twitch action games, fighting games or those sort of things there is no reason to think locally running consoles are going anywhere.  At the very least Nintendo are stubborn enough to survive a mostly streaming future (if it happens).

And, potentially I can see this being a good thing for AAA games.  I'm not saying this will happen but it fits.  Big AAA games tend to have to hit that 8 - 10 hours of duration or be a bloated open world to justify a £50 price tag.  I think with a AAA game designed for a streaming service in mind, since people are paying a flat fee monthly, you can make it much smaller, or episodic.  Have a tight 2 - 3 just packed with cool ideas.

At least thats the brightest timeline.