passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Anthem

DisturbedSwan

The more I play of this the more issues I run into.

The texture pop-in has got worse, a lot of the time when I exit out of one of the doors of the Base and go into the Market area things are still loading in, I got stuck behind scenery one time and had to quit out. I've also had invisible enemies attacking me out of nowhere when in freeplay which isn't much fun either. I've also had issues with the menu map taking ages to load - sometimes as long as 30 seconds - and the Forge too.

QoL issues are also bugging me like not being transported to your teammates when you enter a game, having to attempt to fly to them before a - short - timer runs out and then the game having to load you in for 30 seconds so you can finally join them.

The mission variety is just not there either. I'm still having fun with it and it's still a blast just flying around in these suits but I just wish it was a little more polished, maybe a Day 1 patch this Friday will sort out some of these issues but I don't know.

I'm close to giving up on this now, it's just a bit of a mess.

I just went into a mission, waited 2 minutes for it to load then once I got into the mission it failed to warp me to the area twice, when it eventually did I had to sit through another lengthy loading screen followed by an unskippable cutscene.

Then I had to wait another 2 minutes for it to load, only to load into a load of scenery and had to quit out.

I've had an infinite load glitch a couple of times and missed the entire conclusion to that mission. 

I know Andromeda gets a lot of stick, but this is far worse than that technically in my view. It feels like the seams are stapled together.

I've played quite a bit more of it tonight and it seems like the 'Day 1' patch has eliminated almost all my technical issues thankfully. 

The loading screens are more frequent than I'd like still but the times themselves are pretty much halved from what I remember them being before. I've had absolutely none of the awful texture pop-in issues I was having before either.

I've reached the grindy part of the game now. 4 Trials to open 4 different tombs where you have to tick off a variety of things in order to proceed. Luckily most of these can be done in regular missions so I've already unwittingly done quite a few of them just playing through the missions and such but there's one for doing World Events that needs to be done in Freeplay. I think I only need 1 more multi-kill, 2 more Ult-kills, 3 more World Events completed, 5 more chests opened and to revive 2 more people and I'll be all set. 

So it hasn't really been too bad for me so far. I'm very pleased that the technical issues that bugged my experience won't affect all of yours' first hours in the game, I do think it can be great. I still have issues with mission variety and enemy variety but teaming up even with randoms and just flying about doing missions is a lot of fun.

I played for about four hours last night, no technical issues. The loading times between the Fort and the game world are a bit on the lengthy side, but transitioning between the main area and caves is about ten seconds. 

Managed to get over 5000 coins just by playing the main story and a bit of freeplay. Freeplay seems more fleshed out than the demo build, with world events cropping up a lot more frequently. Graphically it seems to have had a bit of a bump as well. The opening mission is gorgeous. 

I'm actually enjoying the Fort bits, the characters have personality and there's been some good dialogue. Think I heard Mel from Flight of the Conchords last night which was a nice surprise. 

41 minutes ago, Nag said:

Don't you come in here being all positive and shit!

?

I just think this game's getting an unnecessarily bad rap because it's not the next Mass Effect and/or it's published by EA. That Switch Up guy that Nabby posted a few pages back literally calls his review 'Bioware made the wrong game, and made it badly.' He then spends ten minutes comparing it to Mass Effect and Old Republic. 

My time with it is limited to the first four hours and around fifteen more across both demos so i've still barely scratched the surface. Who know's, I may end up hating it, but to me they seem to have laid a pretty solid foundation, and they're only going to improve on it. And i've said it before, the dev team have been fantastic in dealing with their community. Bethesda and Bungie could learn a thing or two from them.

So I spent ages walking around the fort talking to everyone. I met a Northerner. Found out he was a miner. Fuck off Bioware, you racists. 0/10.

The reason I spent ages looking around is because it said I'd opened a new stall, except it's the same stall as the one Proboscis or whatever he's called has, the one that sells microtransactions. Which would be fine I guess, but they're right next to each other. Fort Tarsis has it's own version of Greggs, except instead of selling lovely pastries they sell fucking skins. The exact same skins. What the fuck. Why? Why does the woman that sounds like Kristen Shaal even have a reason to exist? Even with the pensioner speed walking it's not that far to go to see the original guy.

In other news, the game so far isn't as bad as people would lead you to believe. It might get better, it might get worse, but so far it's OK. I already managed to get into one of the places everyone has talked about where you have to grind, so I don't know if it glitched or if I did the stuff needed. Whatever, it's done now.

The loading screens though, they're bad. They could do with putting all the lore things on the loading screens, there seems to be hundreds of things to pick up and read about but ain't nobody got time to read all that shit unless it's all they have.

I’ve had a sound issue a few times where part way through a mission the sound will completely cut out and I’ll have to restart the game after finishing the mission.

Apart from that technical issue I’ve still not had hardly any issues post patch.

Unfortunately, the game itself has really worn me down really. The loop is just not grabbing me anymore, the missions are all super samey and talking to people back at the base afterwards has lost its appeal. I just feel like I’m going through the motions.

I do still want to reach the level cap (which is 10 levels off) but it’s going to be a bit of a slog now I think.  It is still fun sometimes but the lack of variety in the missions is really grating on me.

Yeah, the variation is lacking. They really need to look at the stuff they have and take a good look at other games in the ilk and Anthem-ify those missions. The texture is very bland and if it wasn't for the movement and general combat being nice to control I'd be a lot harsher on the game. They should have missions where you chase mobs around the map, stuff where you cull wildlife, bits where you have to get high up and plant beacons to measure the Anthem. I find the 3 activities they have of killing the things, picking up the things or picking up the things and taking them back to the things a bit tiresome.

The daftest thing is they want you to play with friends. You get more coins by playing with friends with the weekly affiliation thing. But not everyone wants to hear the stories of everyone, so you have this time where not only do you have to sit through people menu surfing, naming no names but his username sounds like PoorofShooty, but then you have to sit through them walking around the fort as well. It's completely at odds. It's fucking bad enough waiting on people to work their crafting table in Warframe, or run around the BoO in Division, or even fucking about in the tower in Destiny. Same with any game like this, Borderlands and Diablo as well, keep the story stuff uniform so everyone has to sit the cutscene and then do their own personal stuff. Adding more to the personal stuff really breaks the flow of the game. Those conversation are nicely done, some of them are even bordering on excellent, but they're not for games like this.

Also the bit where people are saying you need to grind for hours to get the 4 doors open. Absolute bollocks. I've replayed a few missions to catch people up with where I am and I've done maybe 2 hours of freeroam tops while I've been waiting for people to get online and I'm 2 revives away from opening the 1 door I can't open. People are overblowing that "issue" completely. If you play the game and do the side stuff you're going to do the majority of the requirements on your way to them, if not all of them. I'd probably have the revives by now if I was playing with terrible people. I think I've had to revive Small twice and Duck once. I actually think I've been revived just as much.

It's a real mixed bag is Anthem. There's a seed there that could germinate into something fantastic.For that to happen it really needs a lot of support and love. There needs to be more, What I've seen feels like the absolute bare minimum.

One big thing is at least the story makes sense so far. I've not got a fucking clue what the Traveller is in Destiny even after all this time and Division is just prepper wank material nonsense (although the little self contained side stories can be pretty good). It's nowhere near as good as Warframes story though. If you'd have told me some indie outfit in Canada was managing to tell a better story than Bioware 10 years ago I would have laughed in your face. Now? All bets are off. What has the world come to?

The Tomb grind that many reviewers hated was fixed by the Day One patch. It was still an utterly ridiculous idea to force people to grind tedious tasks to progress the story. Would they have altered it,if a ton of people hadn’t told them “this is total bollocks”? That’s debatable.

People complain the story isn’t up to the standards of BioWare’s previous work,that the meaningful conversation choices just aren’t there. By this stage,it’s pretty obvious that the talent responsible for their quality in this area has long since moved on. 

I think I had a glitch when I levelled the Sentinels up. It says the vault is upgraded. It's locked at 500/500 xp and I my bank hasn't increased ion size. I don't know if they altered the area though, the bit with the guy near the  stations where Owen hangs out changed when I levelled that faction up. I think it's still levelling up the faction but something has gone wrong somewhere.

I tell you what else fucks me off as well. being told to open the menus so I can track stuff. Fuck off with that nonsense, I don't need to track it, I've already completed half of it.

Looks like Anthem flopped - in the U.K. at least (according to analyst ZXHuge on ResetEra)

Anthem sold around 10% what Destiny sold in its first week. (UK Packaged sales comp)

Andromeda sold more than double yes.
Andromeda itself was already nearly half of what ME3 sold in its first week.

Again. These are packaged sales comparisons and digital missing does skew the figures. Digital sales (which EA themselves say is approaching 50% of overall sales for them) are not counted. Nor is EA Access players. There were incentives to buy the digital ver. so I'd expect a really high digital share for the game.

The thing I keep hearing is EA mandating Frostbite in games they're not suited to. That it's fine for FPS but when you want to do other stuff you have to bolt a whole fresh codebase on top of it. Like either Andromeda or Inquisition the developers had to implement basic things like inventories from scratch in a way they hadn't previously, or something like this. The type of thing prevents feature development and quickly iterating on your design. That that could be a reason the quality of their games are falling so dramatically. Just getting lost in the weeds with basic shit.

Here I found this, that Amy Henning game had trouble getting started on frostbite before it was canned https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vg247.com/2019/02/22/amy-hennig-visceral-ragtag-frostbite-engine-shortcomings/amp/

You can see why so many studios use Unreal (assuming it's more versatile). Even Square are using it now instead of their crystal engine shit