passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Daemon X Machina

mmmark

I don't think I like this. It does control better with a better controller, but the framerate is terrible, makes it hard to target enemies, I found myself running low on ammo on larger enemies (I do pick up the ammo that's dropped by the fodder enemies). The big boss fight at the end, maybe you're supposed to go and redo the earlier missions again and pick up some better weapons, but fuck me it takes a long time to kill the giant robot. So long in fact I died (me, actually) (in the game) and rather than retry I just turned it off, nuts to spending 20 minutes struggling to target the weakpoints, scurrying around for ammo and health trucks, resuscitating teammates, unless of course the ammo and recovery stuff haven't dropped, then I'll just have to fly around looking stern

• 6 months later...

The demo is out now which is the beginning of the game and progression carries over. 

I like it it a lot more than the February trial which kind of just threw you in at the deep end. It begins slowly and the starting weapon goes pop... pop... pop. It’s a little infuriating. Then as it begins to open up during missions you’ll recover new weapons, legs, arms etc by taking them off of downed enemies.

The other characters in this range from the anime norm to a bizarre girl saying that she wished she was dead. I ended up skipping all the dialogue to get into the action quicker. 

By the end of the hour or so long demo I wanted to carry on as I was just getting into it. I’ll definitely pick it up some day.

B3BC0BC3-33AF-4D07-9690-6022815741B5.gif

I got round to the demo.  I found gyro controls buried in the options so I'm happy as that was my problem with the beta.  It could of had them then but what evs. 

I feel that it could be a game that really comes into its own in late/end game but its hard to tell from this demo.  

But I guess I'll have to see how it goes.  Not reviews as they play half a dozen games a week but check with people who put the time in.  It does seem like it's got potential RPG longevity. 

But I had a good time with it now I've found the gyro controls so I could hit things even before the soft lock kicked in and cleared areas quickly. 

Might just be my perception but I think this game is bombing. On launch day it had 60 viewers on Twitch and all weekend hasn’t been featured in Switch’s too download charts. Maybe there’s reasons for this and I’ve got it wrong but very much seems like a bomb.

Makes me want to buy a copy for collection purposes.

They put out a thank you thing because it had sold so well didn't they?

Either way I'm not sure it matters or it's worth you worrying about. It's a decent game, I've just got my 2nd titan or whatever, but I'm at the start of the next chapter so I've not had chance to do much with it yet

• 8 months later...

I started this game today and yikes. It’s a game that’s got a lot of stuff about it that makes me want to like it. I like it’s style, I like it’s colour, I like it’s presentation. The title screen is slick and visually the opening cutscene is very cool. I also like how customisable the mech is mine looks sick as fuck

EZS4qDyU0AA3EFK?format=jpg&name=large
EZS4qDyVAAAVzp8?format=jpg&name=large

I made that colour scheme myself.  

And this is just basic armour parts and weapons so I’m sure it will look even cooler if I get any further.

But I don’t know if I will because the game is kind of shit. At least at the beginning. The missions so far have been really boring, the shooting doesn’t feel very good, I don’t understand the story at all and the characters have forced me in to skipping cutscenes. I’m sorry. I just can not deal with that. 

I’ll try some more of it tomorrow because I feel like I’m still kind of in the tutorial section of the game. But the menus are annoying, the structure is too stiff and regimented and the fighting is very repetitive. I like the way it looks though and I want to make my mech cooler. So I will try more of it but only because I’m generous like that.

I just got my first really annoying mission. It’s a side mission where you have to kill all the enemies in the area and a bonus objective of do it before reinforcements arrive. But as soon as I enter the area it tells me reinforcements are coming within about 3 seconds of the mission starting. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, maybe I would understand if I actually went through the mission briefing instead of skipping everything, but listening to people talk makes me want to tear my own brain out so I refuse. But I also don’t know how to win this mission.

Also the mission is kind of hard. It’s the first time my mech went down and I had to run around on foot and the game hasn’t explained this side of it at all yet. I’m guessing you’re not meant to suck at it this early. But there’s some enemy that shoots a bazooka type attack (I’m guessing) that pushes me really far and stuns my mech for 2 seconds and I can’t move. And then almost immediately after I get hit by it it does it again. It doesn’t quite qualify as a stun lock but it’s not that far off. Not only do I not really know how to deal with it I can’t even see what it is that’s doing it to prioritise it because the game is so messy. 

I think this game could of been cool if it wasn’t so shit. And I know that’s a weird thing to say but I think underneath it all is probably a fairly decent game. If it didn’t run at 12 frames per second, if the shooting felt better, if the buttons were faster, if the missions had more variety, if the story and characters were better, if the action was visually easier to read, if the menus were simpler, etc, I feel like underneath is probably a quite good game. Sometimes I play games that are bad but can see the real problem is the underlying fundamentals. Like a Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 for example like shit, dude, how do so many games get scrapped but that made it out? But with this one it feels like a game that is decent and they must of been hoping for it to come together in the end zone of development and it just didn’t. They couldn’t solve the problems. 

I’m going to skip that mission and give it one more day but I don’t know, dude. Looking bleak. 

I’m starting to be disappointed in this game because I’m starting to really like it. It’s a shame this game is bad because if it wasn’t it would be a lot of fun. Apparently it’s on PC as well which is really weird to me why it’s only on that or Switch because if this was even on a console that was a step up from the Switch, you would still have design problems, but it at least running better would go along way. 

Anyway, my guy has Bazooka arms now which according to the internet are the best guns in the game! The left one is better than the right one because it has mods for slots which the right one doesn’t, also because they are counted as ‘Arms’ then you can’t switch weapons. This is what you got. And they only have about 60 shots each which, eh, you can refil ammo quite easy but some of these bosses are real damage sponges. 

EZnJmK9U8AAW07L?format=jpg&name=large

He also has that big rocket launcher pack on top which is now defunct because I have a much better one and found a new double pronged laser cannon that’s currently being made in the lab and it’s going to look cool as shit. 

I also used the same colours but adjusted the paint job and stuck a little star on the chest so it’s a bit Captain America-y which is totally not fitting for a Japanese mech but it looks cool and you can’t argue with that.

Story wise I reached a mission which I think the moon has exploded or a bit of it has exploded and it’s raining down meteors that are destroying towers and I have to protect them. I totally failed and I don’t know if the bazookas are the right weapon for the mission but it still looks super cool

EZnJmLZUYAAwGxi?format=jpg&name=large

Man, I wish this game was better because it deserves to be at least good but is actually trash. The more I like it is seemingly constantly counter balanced with a bunch of stuff I find that annoys me.

Sounds like a mech game, then. 

It's always the problem with these games. They always seem so cool with the premise but rarely (or never) deliver. 

It really sucks.  I still wanna play it because I'm an idiot and may love it but I'd love to see a game like this that is just undeniably good. 

• 3 months later...

8F806681-83B8-46C7-9062-82D00C306357.jpeg

Marvelous has announced that it will be releasing a Version 1.4.0 update for Daemon X Machina to celebrate the game's first anniversary.

The game will turn one year old this weekend, but we'll have to wait until November before the update arrives. Details of the content set to be added have been shared on the game's official website, with the following translations being provided by Gematsu:

“Grossfeiern” Arsenal skin

“Grandemon” Outer suit

“Eclipse RT: Omega Destruction Strategy” Order – Battle against the strengthened Colossal Immortal “Eclipse Q.”

Three Arsenal decals

Three Preview backgrounds

B10290DC-227C-430C-BBB9-88B1794FED2D.jpeg

329C85E5-0C9A-421E-8A2F-A9F8C02AE9A5.jpeg

source