passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening

mmmark

10 minutes ago, OCH said:

Unless you are Bethesda, that is what QA is for. Who in theory have upped their game to coincide with the additional "complexity". @one-armed dwarf

I can see this getting broken off into its own thread, especially as there are people on here who worked in QA.

But it's like this, the more interactions a game has, the more conditions and different states of things that it has to keep track of the more brittle the whole thing becomes. When you have an open world game you need to have this stuff be as free and open as possible, but the more you do this the more ways things can go wrong

At some point the amount of cases that can be covered by QA is just too immense. So the aim is to target the really bad shit and to wait and see for the stuff which is rare/yet to occur

Edit, like for instance in Blakeys video the user thinks the bug was caused by killing a horse and doing a gale jump. How is a tester supposed to guess that shit lol ?

4 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

I can see this getting broken off into its own thread, especially as there are people on here who worked in QA.

But it's like this, the more interactions a game has, the more conditions and different states of things that it has to keep track of the more brittle the whole thing becomes. When you have an open world game you need to have this stuff be as free and open as possible, but the more you do this the more ways things can go wrong

I've always been quite interested in QA and hearing more about it. Matt (formally of SuperBestFriends on YouTube) has a series called "Bug Report" wherein he talks about his time in the field. Very interesting stuff. Especially when bugs and stuff are noted and ignored so that a game makes its release window.

aren't there a few famous examples from the C64/Atari era of games that just couldn't be finished. DOA2 on the Dreamcast had a bug that crashed the game if you played 4 character 2 player. There's been quite a few over the years, even AAA games

edit: I think it is fair to say that day 1 patches have become shittily common

I can kind of see where OCH is coming from. Bloodstained has a pretty common gamestopper bug in its recent patch, which means a lot of people will have to restart this game now if they want to finish it at some point. None of the other Igavanias suffered from something like this as far as I remember.

Anyway, Zelda time. I don't have anything noteworthy to add but outside of the forest with the Master Sword I didn't have any noticeable framerate drops in BotW. If Link's Awakening has a stuttery area then that's weird, but I couldn't care less. I'm also optimistic the final game will be as polished as any other Nintendo game, so there's really nothing to worry about here.

2 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

aren't there a few famous examples from the C64/Atari era of games that just couldn't be finished. DOA2 on the Dreamcast had a bug that crashed the game if you played 4 character 2 player. There's been quite a few over the years, even AAA games

True. But some have seemingly been more on the ball with QA than others. Atlus for example. I've played most of the Disgaea series and never encountered a bug or game breaking glitch and they are pretty deep games. Back on Topic, I've played every Zelda upto BOTW and no issue even close to a Fallout or 3D Sonic game. 

13 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

I think this is also a good argument for not just jumping straight into the zeitgeist and playing the latest games asap. Cause it sounds like I got a better BOTW than some other people here ?

Actually I think if someone plays the game for the first time with the DLC it makes for a worse experience (because of the DLC quests clogging things up and the hero's path feature lessening the player's own exploration) :P

...definitely better performance though!

DF posted a video comparing the first 10 mins of the original game to the remake

Got to say this has gone a long way to sell me on the game. Just what they do with the music and the mist around the edges of the screen gives the game a real sense of disorientation which is kind of perfect for the game. LA always felt tonally ‘off’, but where the GB version felt like someone came in your house and moved all your stuff around the remake seems to be more honing on an atmosphere of mystery.

Also just seeing the GB game takes me back. LA is kind of brutal from a puzzle perspective so it was a game I started dozens of times but only finished once. I’m trying to remember how the trading game went. You give the bananas to the crocodile on the beach. He gives you an alarm clock? I can’t remember 

The Limited Edition has turned up on amazon.fr and .de and is currently unavailable. I don't know if I already missed it or if it's just a placeholder. I also don't know if I should care anymore. It's such a hassle with Nintendo LEs.