passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening

mmmark

1 hour ago, bellow said:

He's right, though?

He isn't though. Disliking an aesthetic choice isn't the same thing as judging the game. We all have different tastes when it comes to art and style. What we find pleasing to the eye is a personal preference. To think differently is not 'right' or 'wrong', just blindly ignorant.

Different strokes for different folks, and all that.

Personally I'm a huge fan of the stylised aesthetic. With a heavy artistic background, coupled with growing up with deep investment in both comic books and sci-fi, the more outlandish the designs the more boxes it will tick with me. Yet I don't think every game should be tailored to my tastes. I don't think, for example, that every FPS should be visually similar to XIII or Killer 7. Nor that every action game should look like El Shaddai or Cuphead.

When it comes to media, people like what they like and trying to decry people for not sharing tastes won't change that.

I was just being glib with my post, and I think Rik was too.

Sure, we all have our tastes and some games are going to line up with that more than others.  I just took slight issue with using an interpretation of the original art being what was intended and this new game not capturing the authorial intent despite it having members of the original creative team working on it.  Although if that art was intended to be that of LttP Link would have pink hair.

One of my favourite things about the Zelda series is its diverse art styles so I don't want the series pandering to me, although there isn't an art style they've used that I've disliked even a bit.  I don't like media to pander to my established tastes too much as oftentimes I don't know I'd like something until I see it.  Like, I would never ask for this art style but seeing it in motion I realised I loved it.  I like that feeling and I hope to be surprised more.

@DifferentClass Before games had the ability to do so, the concept/manual artwork was always what you were supposed to be looking at. LTTP Link only had pink hair in-game, the art prior was from LTTP. Much like how the Butter Sword only existed within that game. I wasn't talking about authorial intent either, that was other people. I was talking about fan interpretation being inline with the original game having a stylised aesthetic prior, which it didn't. The aesthetic of the gameplay reminds me of 3D Dot Heroes, including the weird sheen that is over everything (also present in NSMB too) which a homage,  from over a decade ago now. I expected more from Nintendo. As you said, the aesthetic of the Zelda series has always been diverse and eye catching. To me, this is too, but for the wrong reasons.

• 3 months later...

Outdoor scenes look lovely, inside dungeons the game looks a bit cheap. But that’s just from looking at snippets. I remember thinking the graphics of Phantom Hourglass looked cheap compared to The Minish Cap but once I played PH I loved it so maybe this will be the same. Anyway I love Link’s Awakening so it’s all good.