passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Apex Legends

mfnick

Had a few matches on this, I think I just need to accept the fact I don’t like Battle Royale Games. Feels loads better to play than Fortnite and PUBG (only 2 others I’ve played). But the gameplay loop in these games just doesn’t nothing for me, run around the same environment searching around for loot for a while, shoot a few bullets, miss, die, wait a while to load a new match and repeat. I just find it tedious and boring constantly looking for loot at the beginning of every match. Especially when I’m bad so don’t last long when a gunfight starts, it usually just feels like a waste of time.

Ill give it a few more matches just to see if it clicks, maybe as I start getting a bit better. Hope it’s does. I’d like to be involved with something like this for a change. It’s definitely got the best chance just because it actually feels good to play unlike the others I’ve tried. Otherwise I’ll just go back to TF2. 

I dont mean this in a patronising way at but im just going to make basic suggestions that got me into the genre:

Try to land far away and get loot in nice quiet areas for a while, this will let you get a feel for the loot, for the game generally.

Play with a microphone and a team of people you know, these games are always better that way. 

Avoid combat where you can do, the circle that closes will eventually force you to combat, but early on it might reveal you when its probably best to wait and get in the best situation.

Ultimately it might just be that you dont click with the genre, but there is definitely a good side and a bad side to these games. Ive been in and out of love with them multiple times, I love PUBG but cant stand Fortnite so even within the genre its polarising.

I’ve played the others with mates and still not got on with them. And I’ve used those tactics, propblem is I just find it boring. Like you say one of the things is to actually avoid combat and stay away from people. I’m impatient and want to get involved in the action. I’ve tried it both ways and not had much fun with either. 

I think i may just not click with this genre unfortunately but I’m going to give it a bit more time just to be sure because I do want to like it. 

It's definitely a much more strategic genre than it first appears. It's a deathmatch where you pretty much only get one life and its 20 minutes per game. It's that strategic element that appeals to me, everything matters in the game you play. 

This is downloading on pc now and despite what I just said about strategy im looking forward to playing a more fun version of PUBG that doesn't include building. 

I’m of the same opinion. Tried Fortnite,absolutely hated it. Just felt utterly tedious,for the way Nick describes. Tried H1Z1,but that’s an absolute mess. Not only is it boring,but it looks atrocious.

I’m downloading this to give it a try. Maybe I’ll get into it,maybe I won’t. We will see.

Got to give them credit on how well it seems be be performing. I’ve not had any trouble getting into any games and it seems pretty lag free. Usually when a game like this launches you can’t play it for a few days due to server issues. 

Huge respect to them for this, it’s a first as far as I know? Not seen enough praise regarding it to say how much people usually slag games like this off at launch for not working ( and rightly so). 

kind of agree with @mfnick I played some with Sam and his mate, I didn't not enjoy it but I'm not itching to go back. That's not to say I think it's bad, it's not, it seems like a good one of these and the characters all seem different. Had we remembered to use our specials I can see how, particularly once you learn the game, they'll bring a few layers of depth to things. Like Sam was using the tracker guy to check to see if there was anyone around, it kind of worked for us, I used my smoke during one encounter and that worked, if we'd have been able to pair those two together it could have been killer, it's all the other skills that we didn't really make the most of.

Which I guess is my suggestion. PUBG has that loading area where you can try a few things out, this has the tutorial area but that's not that useful, beyond that it drops you in and leaves you blind. You won't know what your gun does until you fire it and memorise it (I'm pretty sure I died because Sam was testing his gun and it brought people down on us ? ), you won't know how best to use your skills, you won't know what items do, you won't know that you can change your fire type or how to do that. Playing with people that know a bit about the game helps, being able to play on your own to learn without consequence would also help

Building wise and the way you scamper up walls reminds me of Titanfall 2, beyond that it reminded me of my time with Destiny and how that was fine, but I was only really playing because other people were. I'd probably be up for playing it again, but I don't see this as being a new @DANGERMAN genre

I like it! I only got one kill and I’m generally rubbish but I enjoyed what we played and the only frustration I felt was when Duck got kicked and we ended up with a random who wandered off on his own. That made me go kamikaze purely to end the game quicker to get him back in.

I just did the training and the one thing I didn’t know was that holding R1 gives you a ping menu, making it easier to communicate.

Having watched a lot of PUBG videos, this seems way more polished already and I like the hero aspect. No real preference just yet but the Mercy in me wants to master the healer character.

It’s got that slick Respawn feel in control and I could see me playing this a lot.

I loved it, was doing rubbish but was thoroughly enjoying doing rubbish. My favourite bit was landing on the drop ship and punching people off, that's super fun. I really like the mobility of that robot dude, the abilities really open the genre up nicely I think. 

It won't be for everyone but I think this will have a nice little following, I can feel myself getting better after just one session with it. 

Put in a few hours on this now. 

My background with Respawn has been mixed. I was never much of a fan of the OG Titanfall and threw in the towel shortly after completing the 'campaign' on XBOne back in the day. I have tended to like other BR games - loving PUBG and Fortnite for awhile - but never got into Black Ops 4's somewhat bland offering late last year.

I wasn't even going to give TF2 a chance but the positive reviews and the SP Campaign turned my head. Boy, am I glad they did! Because that game is fucking phenomenal, easily one of the best FPS Campaigns of the generation in my view. I didn't play much of the MP again but what I did play I liked a hell of a lot more than the OG.

With this being an F2P FPS BR announced seemingly out of nowhere and with the pedigree of the developer, I didn't have anything to lose at all by just installing it and giving it a go. I've been very impressed with it so far, it's so incredibly polished and smooth compared to the likes of PUBG and seems more traditional in lots of ways than the building and somewhat more garish elements of Fortnite. The different heroes you can select along with the exclusively squad-based play means that it stands out from the rest, when you couple this with the Respawn gunplay it is definitely a recipe for success. 

The gunplay is a step above pretty much everything else I've played - including the Blops 4 beta - it really is phenomenal and feels incredible getting hits and kills in. For the way it feels and plays it is definitely closest to Black Ops 4 but the map for me is so much better designed and way more colourful than Blackout's dull playground. There's distinct environs here from deserts to lush greenery and industrial complexes, some of it does still feel a little too grey at times but it is still a huge step up from Blackout for me.

Considering this is a F2P game and it is so incredibly fun to play I have no reservations at all recommending it. Even if you're not into the genre, give it a download and just give it a go, what have you got to lose? :)

Pics:

Spoiler

Apex Screenshot 2019.02.05 - 00.32.22.07.pngApex Screenshot 2019.02.05 - 00.22.09.59.png

Apex Screenshot 2019.02.06 - 00.50.01.73.pngApex Screenshot 2019.02.05 - 23.57.22.84.pngApex Screenshot 2019.02.06 - 00.56.56.92.png

I managed to play a few games of Apex late last night (technically early this morning) and have to say I thought it was excellent. I was initially dubious as I really didn't enjoy my time with PUBG, and I see Fortnite as 20 minutes of my life i'll never get back. But this seemed to step it up a notch. It's really polished, intuitive to play and the class abilities spice things up nicely.

I did pretty crap the first few games, but in the last one I played with a couple of people that seemed to know what we were doing, and by pure chance we landed in the area that would eventually be the final zone. I got a kill, and a few team mate revives and we made it to the last four teams. Pretty tense stuff.

Importantly, it feels like a game i've paid £40 for. 

12 minutes ago, Whiskey_chaser said:

Importantly, it feels like a game i've paid £40 for. 

I think thats what is making me so hyped about it, this is a free game, and its more polished and fresher than a lot of the premium offerings.

It's really slick, you can see the level of work that's gone into it. The movement and shooting feel pretty good, as you'd expect from Respawn.

I payed 5 or 6 games with randoms. Unfortunately I didn't get any kills, we got jumped and wiped out the first couple of times. By the last couple of matches my squad members weren't just wandering off and dying straight away which was an improvement.

Unsure as yet if it's for me.

8 minutes ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

This has been asked already, but who is playing on PS4? I'd like to give this a bash.

Me, Duck, DC, Whiskey Chaser, Andy. Unsure of who else.

I’m on my 24 hours off before starting nights tonight so will be playing today for a chunk before I have to leave about half 5.

It seems pretty good.

But I'm not totally convinced on the actual gun play yet. It was confusing what type of gun you've picked up as it's all a bit space gun 1, space gun 2 etc. But maybe i just need to play more and learn them. 

I still prefer PUBG/Blackout at a lot more atm but AL is another decent BR game.