passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Viscera Cleanup Detail

Whiskey_chaser

I've been meaning to check this game out for ages and finally had a chance to play it online with a mate last night. The premise is you're a clean up crew sent in after the events of your typical first person shooter. Armed with a mop and a variety of tools you have to go in, clean up the bodies and mop the place up.

The twist comes in all the physics based sillyness. We played a level set in a space station with a switch that turned gravity on and off. It's just that we didn't realise the switch did that and suddenly there are hundreds of body parts bouncing around, splattering blood everywhere, which then gets stood in and suddenly there are bloody footprints everywhere. It's got a real dark sense of humour to it as well. My wife gave me one of 'those' looks when she saw me laughing at my friends attempts to stuff a rag-doll cadaver into an incinerator, innards flying everywhere.

Despite leaving the place immaculate, we got demoted. Turns out jettisoning rubbish into space is frowned upon and we should have used the incinerator on the ceiling more.

Can't remember the last time i've laughed so much at a game. 

• 2 years later...

So I've been playing this on and off for a while now and it's a lot more fun than what you would expect. It's also a lot deeper than you think.

At its base it's exactly how @Whiskey_chaser describes it. You get chucked into a level, there blood and shit up the walls, a whole host of bodies and maybe some other stuff to clean up. You are given a mop, a set of gloves and a sniffer machine that can detect anything that should be there, both organic and inorganic. Somewhere int he level there's a bucket machine, a bin machine and an incinerator.

It's simple, clean up the slop and chuck everything you can in the big burny machine, then when you're done punch out. It's very basic and doesn't tell you any more of what to do.

However... This is not all the game offers.

Viscera Cleanup Detail is actually a detective game hiding behind a cleaning sim. Each level is a crime scene you have to work out. Around the levels are bits of paper telling you a story as well as ID badges that look like USB sticks near the corpse of the humans. It's up to you to assess what is going on in the level and report back. So you come across a body, take a quick survey of what you think happened. Is the whole body there? What state is it in? Has it been thrown or dragged? Is any of it missing? Hass it been eaten? You take all this info, go to the punchclock and input your findings, with a short overall message that outlines the death and maybe leave a message for his family. Then you put the corpse in a bin and throw it in the incinerator, but not before you've walked blood and guts all over the place and dropped them a few time for good measure.

There's other stuff such as replacing the medkits in a level and stacking the boxes where they should be as optional things you can do to bump your score, and you can also repair out bullet holes.

Closing out of a level you can also fill out paperwork that asks to estimated counts of how many things you have burned, how many bullet casings you found, how many aliens you found and all that.

It's a silly physics game that has more depth to what you would assume, and also it has the silly things happening that cause other players to laugh at your misfortune, like knocking over buckets full of blood, or pressing the button on the bin machine only for it to dispense bloody limbs into a pristinely clean area.

There's something really satisfying about going back through a level you've cleaned with the sniffer tool out making sure that there's nothing left that could bring your overall rating down.

My biggest gripes about this game is that it doesn't explain anything at all. Not even a tutorial. It's also really fiddly, it reminds me of really old PC games that just do things a specific way because that's how they are done. It's an old game anyway, but it's still archaic as fuck when you compared it to games from that era.

I's fun though. Would recommend if you've got a few friends and a night to kill. Levels range from about an hour to complete right up to 3 hours or more. There's a lot of silly stuff for you to discover as well should you get into it.

My main issue with this game is that it was an absolute nightmare to get a game up and running. Tried to set up a four player game and there was some kind of NAT conflict that wouldn't let two players in the same game (they lived in the same house).

Also took a good half hour of swearing to get a game running with someone else. Great fun when it did work though.