Sign in to follow this  
one-armed dwarf

Kingdom Hearts III

18 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

tHIs miGHt bE a GOOd spoT To FiNd SomE INGRedienTS

This post might be the coolest thing to come out of KH.

19 hours in now.

I’ve just finished things up in Corona. It’s safe to say it has absolutely floored me. 

Wow wow wow wow wow wow wow. This is game is just astonishing in every regard. It is in-fucking-credible. I just can’t believe what I’m playing. I felt similar to how I felt playing Uncharted 4 for the first - just overwhelmed by how incredible the game I’m playing is, how it looks and the astonishing attention to detail and graphical fidelity in pretty much everything.

I really did think Toy Story was going to be the pinnacle of things for me with this as it’s my favourite Disney property and just being there and interacting with those characters was awe inspiring. But Corona has topped it by some margin.

I absolutely adored Tangled whenever I saw it, but it is nowhere near as fresh and vivid  in the mind as Toy Story and I think that contributed to the majesty of the world and the characters. Just getting reacquainted with these fantastic characters, getting to know them and the story beats again was just magical. 

I just got completely lost in the majesty of Corona. It’s a huge environment - possibly the biggest so far - with distinct areas that you just can’t help but want to explore. Every single second I was there in that world was just nothing short of magical, everything about it was so intoxicating and vivid. 

Meeting Rapunzel and Flynn, going along with them and Sora being a key part of the story arc for that region was fantastic. I felt like I was front and centre of my very own Disney fairytale that I could actually influence and interact with, these characters  felt so incredibly real.

That Disney magic just shone through in pretty much everything in this world. For Square to of conjured up such a beautiful intoxicating replication of the film’s world is nothing short of masterful. You kind of forget your playing a game and get caught up in your own Disney fairytale. 

When you first see Corona town across the water it brought me to tears. I was just utterly stunned by the sheer beauty that was before my eyes. The lantern scene on the boat was just unbelievably perfect, that also brought me to tears. 

Just exploring your very own Disney town in Corona was ridiculous. I could see it in the distance and I kept thinking to myself ‘they’re surely not going to let me go there?’ I thought it would just be a cutscene or something but then I crossed the bridge and I could explore every nook and cranny of it. I was just walking round utterly dumbstruck by what I was experiencing, my mind couldn’t comprehend it. The dancing scene was just perfect too.

What a game! Not just one of the best JRPGs I’ve played, but one of the very best games I’ve played (so far). It is an absolute masterpiece so far, I cannot wait to go to the next world and see what’s next in store for me.

Lots of pics:

Spoiler

3689ED7D-0A26-499D-8A82-B9E5A60B7703.jpeg

B1D31123-E1F9-4019-BE6A-A0F4BF61F0E8.jpeg

A9D6F7D6-0EA8-4A7E-A115-FC3789207998.jpeg0549A83F-966F-48EA-90F6-6591BF4145F6.jpeg

F465F4B8-E19E-4599-B958-D35CBF402CFD.jpeg1A47F1EA-B630-4190-AFFE-9E2C55B9D8C6.jpeg

960DDD19-D2A9-4FFB-8D2B-7C34BA90BCCC.jpeg

E8E6B830-5AD5-4D59-A069-EFF03B5DA8D9.jpeg

4CE003E3-A860-4E0A-A3CC-6B1C47212923.jpeg

I'm looking forward to the Will Smith Genie summon DLC. 

1 hour ago, Blakey said:

flawed

That's one way to describe it...

Spoiler

Couldn't resist sorry.🤣

When everything comes together in a game and I become utterly entranced in its world and characters, awestruck with what is being presented before my eyes then I do imagine I look a bit like that @one-armed dwarf 😂 It's cool games still have that effect on me at 29 really 😎

I played another 3 hours today - 22 total. I was messing about with the Gummi Ship finding some treasures and stuff for a lot of it but finally dragged my ass to a world. I chose Monstropolis. 

I didn't really know what to expect as Monsters Inc. Has never been anywhere near my favourite Pixar property but then I really enjoyed Monsters University last year when I got round to seeing it. It has been quite a huge disappointment it's safe to say, it's crazy that Corona was just so incredible in every way but Monstropolis is just a shitty factory level really. 

It is literally just a factory. I know that's the setting from the film and it is cool seeing the Scare Floor and the Door Vault don't get me wrong but the rest of the environs are just bland as hell. Grey corridor after grey corridor pretty much. The story arc of the world hasn't grabbed me at all either, it just hasn't really come alive in anyway.

43 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Wait till you get to Frozen world.

It's worse than Monstropolis?! Or did you mean it's similar to Corona.

Frozen felt lazy to me. I've never seen the film so maybe I'm at a disadvantage.

I think Toy Story is the best world maybe cause they had more liberty to insert their KH canon in a way that didn't piss off Pixar. But in some worlds like Frozen you can sense they were working within strict limits and the results are disappointing.

The game never stops being great however. I think my favourite is the Corona world but mainly cause I've not seen Tangled and now I want to cause it's got a mean horse in it with an attitude problem

4 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

now I want to cause it's got a mean horse in it with an attitude problem

He's the best part of that film.

9 hours ago, Blakey said:

It's worse than Monstropolis?! Or did you mean it's similar to Corona.

You’ll love Frozen. 

@Blakey I dont know what the fuck you're on but I want some (i think). I like you're enthusiam, i don't even feel half of it toward this game.

It was good and I think that's the best description. It's good. Above average for sure, not great though.

Spoiler

The whole last part of the game was a little disappointing  - it's basically just a boss rush. After all the different gameplay types they came up with I was expectng a bit more variety. It wasn't there though. The combat isn't striclty button mashing but it's not far off and it get's a little dull.

The cut scenes bored me. I only skipped 2 or 3, mostly banter before a fight but I paid little attention to them when they were rolling. At the end I had no idea who half the peoples names were.

Anyway, it's done now, I'm happy I stuck with it through to the end. Special shout out to Donald for the times you didn't heal me when I needed it you feathery cunt.

I think that enthusiasm was purely contained within Corona @illdog :lol: I haven't had that same connection or jubilation with it since really. 

I'm 29 hours in now.

I finished off Monstropolis, dossed around a bit going back and doing some of the picture missions and then made my way to Twilight Town to cook some food with Little Chef. Accidently triggered the Pooh world so ventured into here after I was done with the Bistro.

How pointless is 100 Acre Wood? Honestly, I don't really know why they bothered, it's just a tiny world with 3 mini-games really, I guess you can't even really call it a world to be fair but even then it was just so small and pointless really. It was cool seeing Pooh, Tigger and co. I guess but it just felt like such a wasted opportunity really.

I didn't really know what to make of Arendelle either - it is fucking huge I know that much, and long. It must be the longest World so far - although Corona was pretty damn long too I guess - I thought the strange generic JRPG dungeon right in the middle of it was a really odd addition, made me think I'd accidentally been temporarily transported into Dragon Quest or something :lol: and then I finally reached the end of the fucker and it went back to somewhat normalcy really. 

It was cool feeling like such a key part of Elsa and Anna's story and feeling like Sora and co. made a difference to them and I was actually pleasantly surprised that they put the whole fucking version of Let it Go in there as well (not so much the other songs) it just made me go 'whoa, they actually went there' really. It has tons of charm and I love the little ditties that play whilst you're traversing the world. Also, they got all the OG voice actors from the film to do the lines unlike Toy Story, very cool!

The big issue though is that the world just isn't that interesting really. If we'd of got to go to the town or got to explore some different kind of areas it would've been better but having a load of snowy forest, a generic JRPG dungeon followed by more snowy forest wasn't a winner with me. I did like the sledging, the mini-boss and boss battles too though and I fucking love 

Spoiler

Larxene

- that girl has sass to spare. 

So yeah I just unlocked Caribbean and San Fransokyo so we'll see how one of those goes tomorrow. After that I've absolutely no idea what worlds are left and how many more there are.

Lots more pics:

Spoiler

DzYzGOlX0AAh3Gj.jpgDzYzViOWsAYg047.jpgDzYzUPrXcAIjyc2.jpg

DzYzVHeWoAAlfeO.jpgDzYzFexXQAEUKu5.jpg

DzYzF0HWsAEIWkt.jpgDzYzUsYWoAABZOJ.jpgDzYzGnNWsAEIZQe.jpg

I appreciated the absolute insane u-turn that 100 Acre Woods was from a gameplay perspective, didn’t see that coming in a million years.

The Caribbean:

Spoiler

That graphical step up! And again, gameplay switch up. Sadly for me I can’t stand the Pirates films, I don’t mind Captain Jack but every other character annoyed me.

Do British people say “normalcy”? I never heard anyone in Ireland use that word ever.

2 hours ago, radiofloyd said:

Do British people say “normalcy”? I never heard anyone in Ireland use that word ever.

It's American apparently, made popular by a presidential campaign slogan according to google. We'd say normality 

I have definitely written "a return to normalcy" in some college essay before and I'm Irish.

Now that I've repeated the word in my head so much reading the last few posts the word makes as much sense as Kingdom Hearts' plot.

Edit turns out that that phrase I used is the same presidential slogan. It's a post-WWI invention. I'm sure now it does get used a lot by historians as I think about it.

So I guess within that historical context the word is used to describe returning to normality from a state of trauma. So Blakey used it correctly because the Frozen world is fucking shit.

About 36 hours in now.

The last 6 hours has been spent in The Caribbean.

Safe to say it has been pretty bonkers. It is definitely the biggest and longest world so far - I seem to be saying that a lot - it is just crazy that you’ve got a whole mini-Caribbean you can go and explore on your boat. 

It’s like playing AC4: Black Flag or something but miniaturised which is just crazy considering this is just one level of many in this game. I cannot begin to imag8ne how much cash was spent on this World alone, just to get the ship, ship combat, water graphics etc. Right, it’s mad.

Some great environs thrown in here too with a lovely piratey town and lots of hidden islands where you can dive down little submerged caves to find treasure chests and stuff. You can also explore the seabed at length fighting enemies, looting sunken ships and such.

The ship combat was a nice break from the usual Sora & co fayre too, it isn’t as in-depth as something like Assassin’s Creed 4 but it is fun and does the job with aplomb. Just going round exploring, finding hidden islands with treasure was incredibly compelling.

The boss battle at the end was absolutely bonkers as well, I was utterly in awe of it.

Then moved onto San Fransokyo and am about 30 minutes in. So far it has been really cool but feels way more constrained compared to POTC. More tomorrow.

Some pics:

Spoiler

CA2CB2B4-7257-4F64-8A59-065F9EC82B0A.jpeg

35EF7C8F-7008-4B97-87DB-7D7690EAFFA5.jpeg

B2F165CE-74F5-4433-BF91-0A4CD2FC6871.jpeg

78BEE582-38C8-434C-BF78-1C3746D115CA.jpeg