passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Kingdom Hearts III

one-armed dwarf

When everything comes together in a game and I become utterly entranced in its world and characters, awestruck with what is being presented before my eyes then I do imagine I look a bit like that @one-armed dwarf ? It's cool games still have that effect on me at 29 really ?

I played another 3 hours today - 22 total. I was messing about with the Gummi Ship finding some treasures and stuff for a lot of it but finally dragged my ass to a world. I chose Monstropolis. 

I didn't really know what to expect as Monsters Inc. Has never been anywhere near my favourite Pixar property but then I really enjoyed Monsters University last year when I got round to seeing it. It has been quite a huge disappointment it's safe to say, it's crazy that Corona was just so incredible in every way but Monstropolis is just a shitty factory level really. 

It is literally just a factory. I know that's the setting from the film and it is cool seeing the Scare Floor and the Door Vault don't get me wrong but the rest of the environs are just bland as hell. Grey corridor after grey corridor pretty much. The story arc of the world hasn't grabbed me at all either, it just hasn't really come alive in anyway.

Frozen felt lazy to me. I've never seen the film so maybe I'm at a disadvantage.

I think Toy Story is the best world maybe cause they had more liberty to insert their KH canon in a way that didn't piss off Pixar. But in some worlds like Frozen you can sense they were working within strict limits and the results are disappointing.

The game never stops being great however. I think my favourite is the Corona world but mainly cause I've not seen Tangled and now I want to cause it's got a mean horse in it with an attitude problem

@Blakey I dont know what the fuck you're on but I want some (i think). I like you're enthusiam, i don't even feel half of it toward this game.

It was good and I think that's the best description. It's good. Above average for sure, not great though.

Spoiler

The whole last part of the game was a little disappointing  - it's basically just a boss rush. After all the different gameplay types they came up with I was expectng a bit more variety. It wasn't there though. The combat isn't striclty button mashing but it's not far off and it get's a little dull.

The cut scenes bored me. I only skipped 2 or 3, mostly banter before a fight but I paid little attention to them when they were rolling. At the end I had no idea who half the peoples names were.

Anyway, it's done now, I'm happy I stuck with it through to the end. Special shout out to Donald for the times you didn't heal me when I needed it you feathery cunt.

I think that enthusiasm was purely contained within Corona @illdog :lol: I haven't had that same connection or jubilation with it since really. 

I'm 29 hours in now.

I finished off Monstropolis, dossed around a bit going back and doing some of the picture missions and then made my way to Twilight Town to cook some food with Little Chef. Accidently triggered the Pooh world so ventured into here after I was done with the Bistro.

How pointless is 100 Acre Wood? Honestly, I don't really know why they bothered, it's just a tiny world with 3 mini-games really, I guess you can't even really call it a world to be fair but even then it was just so small and pointless really. It was cool seeing Pooh, Tigger and co. I guess but it just felt like such a wasted opportunity really.

I didn't really know what to make of Arendelle either - it is fucking huge I know that much, and long. It must be the longest World so far - although Corona was pretty damn long too I guess - I thought the strange generic JRPG dungeon right in the middle of it was a really odd addition, made me think I'd accidentally been temporarily transported into Dragon Quest or something :lol: and then I finally reached the end of the fucker and it went back to somewhat normalcy really. 

It was cool feeling like such a key part of Elsa and Anna's story and feeling like Sora and co. made a difference to them and I was actually pleasantly surprised that they put the whole fucking version of Let it Go in there as well (not so much the other songs) it just made me go 'whoa, they actually went there' really. It has tons of charm and I love the little ditties that play whilst you're traversing the world. Also, they got all the OG voice actors from the film to do the lines unlike Toy Story, very cool!

The big issue though is that the world just isn't that interesting really. If we'd of got to go to the town or got to explore some different kind of areas it would've been better but having a load of snowy forest, a generic JRPG dungeon followed by more snowy forest wasn't a winner with me. I did like the sledging, the mini-boss and boss battles too though and I fucking love 

Spoiler

Larxene

- that girl has sass to spare. 

So yeah I just unlocked Caribbean and San Fransokyo so we'll see how one of those goes tomorrow. After that I've absolutely no idea what worlds are left and how many more there are.

Lots more pics:

Spoiler

DzYzGOlX0AAh3Gj.jpgDzYzViOWsAYg047.jpgDzYzUPrXcAIjyc2.jpg

DzYzVHeWoAAlfeO.jpgDzYzFexXQAEUKu5.jpg

DzYzF0HWsAEIWkt.jpgDzYzUsYWoAABZOJ.jpgDzYzGnNWsAEIZQe.jpg

I appreciated the absolute insane u-turn that 100 Acre Woods was from a gameplay perspective, didn’t see that coming in a million years.

The Caribbean:

Spoiler

That graphical step up! And again, gameplay switch up. Sadly for me I can’t stand the Pirates films, I don’t mind Captain Jack but every other character annoyed me.

I have definitely written "a return to normalcy" in some college essay before and I'm Irish.

Now that I've repeated the word in my head so much reading the last few posts the word makes as much sense as Kingdom Hearts' plot.

Edit turns out that that phrase I used is the same presidential slogan. It's a post-WWI invention. I'm sure now it does get used a lot by historians as I think about it.

So I guess within that historical context the word is used to describe returning to normality from a state of trauma. So Blakey used it correctly because the Frozen world is fucking shit.

About 36 hours in now.

The last 6 hours has been spent in The Caribbean.

Safe to say it has been pretty bonkers. It is definitely the biggest and longest world so far - I seem to be saying that a lot - it is just crazy that you’ve got a whole mini-Caribbean you can go and explore on your boat. 

It’s like playing AC4: Black Flag or something but miniaturised which is just crazy considering this is just one level of many in this game. I cannot begin to imag8ne how much cash was spent on this World alone, just to get the ship, ship combat, water graphics etc. Right, it’s mad.

Some great environs thrown in here too with a lovely piratey town and lots of hidden islands where you can dive down little submerged caves to find treasure chests and stuff. You can also explore the seabed at length fighting enemies, looting sunken ships and such.

The ship combat was a nice break from the usual Sora & co fayre too, it isn’t as in-depth as something like Assassin’s Creed 4 but it is fun and does the job with aplomb. Just going round exploring, finding hidden islands with treasure was incredibly compelling.

The boss battle at the end was absolutely bonkers as well, I was utterly in awe of it.

Then moved onto San Fransokyo and am about 30 minutes in. So far it has been really cool but feels way more constrained compared to POTC. More tomorrow.

Some pics:

Spoiler

CA2CB2B4-7257-4F64-8A59-065F9EC82B0A.jpeg

35EF7C8F-7008-4B97-87DB-7D7690EAFFA5.jpeg

B2F165CE-74F5-4433-BF91-0A4CD2FC6871.jpeg

78BEE582-38C8-434C-BF78-1C3746D115CA.jpeg

I like how while being full of cringe Kingdom Hearts still manages to sell something as "cool" when on paper it sounds like some lame bullshit

Like (Endgame spoilers)

Spoiler

(These spoiler tags are a bit dodge, sometimes the spoilers just pop in for a split second)

bw833w2sfhe21.jpg

And Donald Duck using the full fucking 100% of his power level

1549626033780s.jpg

Even Bahamut in FFXIV when destroying the entire world only used Tera Flare.

I’ve been playing this quite a lot post completion. I think I’m 50 hours in, Level 60 and I’ve just crafted the Ultima Blade. What a mission that was but it’s something I wanted to do.

so, the Ultima Blade is something that has to be synthesised so it needs a recipe. Just to get the recipe you need 58 unique ingredients in your Materials list, which took a bit of hunting down. Then it’s on to the actual making...

The hardest ingredient to get once you have the recipe is the material called Orichalcum+. And you need 7. Two are in chests around the world (one in The Final World and one in The Caribbean). You get one piece as a reward for getting 80/90 of the Lucky Emblems photographed and that takes a while. For one piece you need to find and complete all the Flantastic Seven missions around the world but they must be completed to an ‘Excellent’ standard. Then it’s off to Frozen world to find 10 unique treasures in the sliding mini game, the 10th one giving you one piece. You get your 6th Orichalcum as a random prize from posting Moogle postcards, themselves random rewards from purchasing items at the Moogle Shop. Finally, your last piece is obtained by defeating a series of bosses in your Gummi Ship in The Eclipse, the last being a boss of bosses and a 15 minute battle.

After that mammoth quest is done, you combine your 7 Orichalcum+ with 2 Wellspring Gems, 2 Pulsing Crystals and 2 Lucid Crystals and you’ve got yourself a fucking kick ass blade.

Doing this mission has actually made me like the game so much more. As a world to explore without being bogged down by story stuff it’s amazing.

I was really tempted to go back through each world and do all the emblems, photo missions and treasures to possibly got for the Platinum but I looked at the trophy list and bailed on that idea. It is really cool going round just exploring each world, completely agree with that.

I’m at 43 hours played now.

I finished San Fransokyo. It was a really cool world with a story that expands on the original film perfectly. Like others have said it’s a bit short though.

Just going around the city, exploring all the nooks and crannies, climbing up tall buildings and looking out at all the amazing vistas was really nice.

After San Fransokyo the story really ramped up and we move onto spoilery stuff 

Spoiler

The whole arc getting Aqua and Ventus back was very well done. I did feel myself tearing up a bit when Aqua  realises she’s back in the realm of light and hugs all the rest of the gang. I guess it did feel a bit rushed after all this time hunting for them you have them back within a few 45 minute cutscenes but it was still a nice moment and a great payoff.

Then all the shenanigans in the Keyblade graveyard was bonkers. That battle with all the heartless was like something out of LOTR, felt so damn epic! 

It it is quite funny what happens after is almost exactly the same as what happens at the end of Act 1 in DQXI though ? 

Then that really weird section that feels like you’re in the Animus in AC afterwards collecting all the Sora’s, I was like WTF?! 

But yeah the the stakes are high now, could feel the ol’ adrenaline pumping at what I thought were the final fights on the Graveyard. Excited to see where the game takes me next.

For those who have finished it, how much longer do I have left?

Some pics:

Spoiler

D16EB691-64A1-4F62-AD49-16D6B25757BC.jpeg

49AABE2F-AEEF-4B31-B49D-E5C6A0EC3CC0.jpeg

5E9137AB-FC80-4CB5-8586-48D1F2BF5C90.jpeg6C914FED-B71D-4935-9E01-DE247F5C8D26.jpeg