passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Kingdom Hearts III

one-armed dwarf

Some tips. Magic does more than deal damage in this game. Aero spells can launch Sora up in the air and put him in "flowmotion", which just means more powerful attacks. Blizzard create rails you can grind on and is another cool way to close the distance with enemies.

Also that airstep thing they show you early on (R1 and square) can be used on enemies too, sort of like warpstrike in FFXV.

I'm 16 hours in to this and I still don't really know what to say about it. I havent played a KH game since the original on the PS2. I've played a little of 358/2 on the DS but i got stuck not too far in to it and never went back.

I keep coming back to this one though so there's something I can say. There's a lot of bullshit too. The cutscenes are just fucking awful, so many pauses in what should be  a free flowing conversation. So many annoying individual character adresses, instead of "Hey Guys" its "Hi Sora, hi Goofy, hi Donald". The dialogue is super cheesy too but I think that's jus how this franchise is.

The actual combat, once you get over the spectacle of the Attraction moves, is pretty button mashy and dull. I like the different types of key blades that you can use but i've picked my favorite now and am sticking with it, concentrating on powering it up so I'm stuck with it's moveset for now.

It does try to space out the information it throws at you but there's still a fuck ton of things going on and I'm not sure if I fully grasp it all.

I must say though, every time I think i'm getting a little bored of the plot something random happens and every time I think i'm getting bored of the gameplay it mixes it up a little. It's just turned in to a puzzle game right out of the blue.

I shall plug away then, i feel too invested to stop now but I guess more importantly I actually want to. It's alright.

I'm now 11 hours in.

I'm still really enjoying it. There is just so much depth and variety to it that I keep having my attention averted one way or another. When I finally think I've got a handle what to expect from the loop something new pops up like piloting Mechs or traversing space with your Gummi Ship and you almost forget what it was you were meant to be doing and where you were going. 

I haven't really nailed the Airstepping yet with the combat. It doesn't seem as intuitive pressing R1 and Square to perform the move when - unless my memory has failed me - it was pretty much instant in FFXV. Some of the moves in combat feel like they need to be added to, I do find myself getting a little aggrieved seeing the Pirate Ship pop up every time, it is cool don't get me wrong but when you've seen it for the 100th time the magic does start to fade a little in that regard.

Getting to the Toy Story world was absolutely phenomenal. Toy Story is pretty much my favourite ever Disney property so arriving there and seeing Buzz, Woody and other familiar faces was fantastic. I spent a ridiculous amount of time just walking around Andy's room and singing 'You've got a friend in me' along to the remixed theme tune that plays, it was fucking incredible, I honestly could not take the stupid grin off my face if I tried.

Likewise exploring a little bit of Andy's neighbourhood was fantastic - although I wish it was a bit larger. I also wish Woody was voiced by someone half decent as he just sounds so off compared to Hanks' delivery in the films, luckily the rest of the cast pretty much nails it in terms of sounding like their film counterparts. I showed a bit of the Toy Box world to my parents with the music up and they were absolutely entranced with it, they couldn't believe how good it looked and how much like the films.

I spent a good 30 minutes yesterday just designing my Gummi Ship. It looks like absolute garbage so I don't know why I bothered really but it's really cool it's in there and has this whole separate shoot-em-up - complete with bosses if you want to seek them out - minigame that is completely optional. Even though I never really intend to explore the galaxy inbetween worlds I do tend to find myself wandering off just to see what is round the next asteroid. 

I have been going around past worlds trying to find the Micky Ears too but to no avail unfortunately. I have found quite a few don't get wrong but I find myself missing an awful lot on Olympus, TT and Toy Box so far, I think once I get a certain ways into the game I'll look up a guide and go back to get them all. 

Everything just feels so incredibly lavish. It also feels like no idea got left on the cutting room floor for being too difficult to implement, there's so many little weird mini-games and intricacies to each world which keeps them feeling so fresh and vivid. I often find myself almost pinching myself that I'm actually playing this, it feels like such a privilege to be playing through such a lavishly produced game, video games these days are fucking wild.

Some pics:

Spoiler

Dy0nHq2W0AE7_jm.jpg

Dy0nFjJX4AU_3y-.jpg

Dy0nGUSX0AYkfpV.jpg

Dy0nHDBXcAADMvV.jpg

My advice is to stop using the attraction attacks. If you press l2 you can toggle through the list and pick a different triangle move to use.

Attraction flow is a bad feature of the game but the other flow attacks are worth using.

About airstep, it is not as good as warpstrike or similar distance closing stuff in other games but it does work better with practice. I've a video on the last page or so where I use it on some dragon thing a lot.

You can turn off attraction animations in the config menu, I found it made using them far less tedious and by the end I ended up loving them. One of the funniest moments I had in the game was when I ended up juggling a boss with the pirate ship until they died. 

Just wrapped up the story this Morning for the most I really enjoyed it, apart from the musical numbers in Frozen and the crass faux social Media load screens there wasn't anything I really disliked.

spoilers as to things not in game contained

Spoiler

Though  was surprised by some of the things that had made the series that were missing, Colosseum battles, No Final Fantasy Characters seem like massive omissions,  

And while loved some of the depth and how big the open worlds were, I was a bit disappointed in the lack of depth to areas like  Traverse Town, given its  supposedly the final title it would have been nice to be able to be able to explore areas like destiny islands and twilight town again, Oh and last grumble why can't I turn off Donald and Goofy, I hate those characters voices.

But for the grumbling its everything you want from KH gameplay wise, combat is fun, beautiful worlds,  definitely captures the feel of the old PS2 games well.

And the Story had me gagging on its sickness more times than I can remember. 

Overall I would rate this 4.285 over 3 Paopu Fruits out of a Keyblade. 

tHIs miGHt bE a GOOd spoT To FiNd SomE INGRedienTS

18 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

tHIs miGHt bE a GOOd spoT To FiNd SomE INGRedienTS

This post might be the coolest thing to come out of KH.

19 hours in now.

I’ve just finished things up in Corona. It’s safe to say it has absolutely floored me. 

Wow wow wow wow wow wow wow. This is game is just astonishing in every regard. It is in-fucking-credible. I just can’t believe what I’m playing. I felt similar to how I felt playing Uncharted 4 for the first - just overwhelmed by how incredible the game I’m playing is, how it looks and the astonishing attention to detail and graphical fidelity in pretty much everything.

I really did think Toy Story was going to be the pinnacle of things for me with this as it’s my favourite Disney property and just being there and interacting with those characters was awe inspiring. But Corona has topped it by some margin.

I absolutely adored Tangled whenever I saw it, but it is nowhere near as fresh and vivid  in the mind as Toy Story and I think that contributed to the majesty of the world and the characters. Just getting reacquainted with these fantastic characters, getting to know them and the story beats again was just magical. 

I just got completely lost in the majesty of Corona. It’s a huge environment - possibly the biggest so far - with distinct areas that you just can’t help but want to explore. Every single second I was there in that world was just nothing short of magical, everything about it was so intoxicating and vivid. 

Meeting Rapunzel and Flynn, going along with them and Sora being a key part of the story arc for that region was fantastic. I felt like I was front and centre of my very own Disney fairytale that I could actually influence and interact with, these characters  felt so incredibly real.

That Disney magic just shone through in pretty much everything in this world. For Square to of conjured up such a beautiful intoxicating replication of the film’s world is nothing short of masterful. You kind of forget your playing a game and get caught up in your own Disney fairytale. 

When you first see Corona town across the water it brought me to tears. I was just utterly stunned by the sheer beauty that was before my eyes. The lantern scene on the boat was just unbelievably perfect, that also brought me to tears. 

Just exploring your very own Disney town in Corona was ridiculous. I could see it in the distance and I kept thinking to myself ‘they’re surely not going to let me go there?’ I thought it would just be a cutscene or something but then I crossed the bridge and I could explore every nook and cranny of it. I was just walking round utterly dumbstruck by what I was experiencing, my mind couldn’t comprehend it. The dancing scene was just perfect too.

What a game! Not just one of the best JRPGs I’ve played, but one of the very best games I’ve played (so far). It is an absolute masterpiece so far, I cannot wait to go to the next world and see what’s next in store for me.

Lots of pics:

Spoiler

3689ED7D-0A26-499D-8A82-B9E5A60B7703.jpeg

B1D31123-E1F9-4019-BE6A-A0F4BF61F0E8.jpeg

A9D6F7D6-0EA8-4A7E-A115-FC3789207998.jpeg0549A83F-966F-48EA-90F6-6591BF4145F6.jpeg

F465F4B8-E19E-4599-B958-D35CBF402CFD.jpeg1A47F1EA-B630-4190-AFFE-9E2C55B9D8C6.jpeg

960DDD19-D2A9-4FFB-8D2B-7C34BA90BCCC.jpeg

E8E6B830-5AD5-4D59-A069-EFF03B5DA8D9.jpeg

4CE003E3-A860-4E0A-A3CC-6B1C47212923.jpeg