passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Kingdom Hearts III

one-armed dwarf

I've played a ton of this. I love it.

The story cutscenes are trash but the fighting feels so good and the music is wonderful.

It's genuinely funny sometimes too.

Like I spent an entire hour in the Toy Story world fighting dudes and not progressing the story cause I was having such fun. If I had to describe it it's like a cross between Spiderman and FF or something like that. Very mobile with lots of air options. It's very like the KH spinoffs obviously but everything feels more refined and I haven't encountered the bullshit from those other games yet.

Not sure how I feel about this yet. 8 hours in and something just feels ‘off’ but I can’t put my finger on it. 

Im not a fan of the visuals outside of the Pixar/Disney CGI levels because Unreal Engine is trash and makes everything look like wet plastic.

Combat is fun, fluid, and responsive for the most part but I’m getting tired of the form changes and attractions and the new keyblades are comically big.

I’m enjoying it, but it’s not the game I’ve been imagining in my head for 13 years so I’m trying to adjust. I think it’s going to be one of those games I have to play through again to really ‘get it’, like listening to a bands new album or something so I’m gonna hold off on any real thoughts for now. 

The Toy Story level was fucking aces though. 

I've not being as eagerly awaiting this for as long as you despite I think playing the older ones around the same time, so maybe I'm a bit blind to the parts that feel off. Although I played those game s back then it was as a cynical teenager who was well embarrassed by everything that was going on and too cool to admit having the fun he was having. I really only bought them cause I wanted to see what would happen if you put Donald Duck and Sephiroth in the same room together.

This one has got kind of an Avengers thing going on maybe with how they're trying to get organized to punch Xehanort/Thanos in the face. I think tho they ask an awful lot out of a fanbase with the amount of callbacks they have to every single game, even the ones that seem they should be unimportant.

Visually I've found it all over the place. The anime characters and the Hercules world and their characters look worse here than on their more flat, cartooney representations on PS2. Which says a lot for how timeless the look of those games are I suppose. But Donald and Goofy look like they've wandered in off from Five Nights at Freddie's and the Organisation have a Maddame Tuassads thing going on.

Pixar worlds look great naturally.

I really like the form changes in combat. I found it annoying and stupid in BBS but in this it adds an individuality to keyblades beyond just "it hits farther and has bad magic". You can stock transformations with the weapon switch system as well and go from having a throwable shield to a magic dart gun. It almost has a lite character action vibe.

Here's me messing some evil toys up

I don't like the big "attraction" attacks tho. They come up too much and give you too much free damage too easily, even on the hardest difficulty. So I just don't use them at all.

EDIT, rather than doublepost I wanted to show this too. The mobility is just so good in this game, it is everything I wanted FFXV to be that it was not. I wonder if Nomura took all the good Versus XIII/XV ideas with him when he left that project.

Genuinely the best action RPG I've played I think. Even in a middling world like Frozen the fighting options and the way you can set stuff up is so good. Like how blizzard/ra/aga create grind rails to do flowmotion attacks off of, or how aero functions as a group launcher attack (which can be connected with other launchers to keep popping enemies in the air, or pop Sora up BOTW style to fight airborne enemies)

I'm in love with it all.

Second video is from a boss in the Frozen world. Spoiler hiding it but there's nothing in it that spoils anything plotwise

Spoiler

I beat it. Some of the later boss fights are a bitch on proud, but a lot easier than DDD on standard. The very last fight is great but some of the other ones are very typical KH BS.

I didn't unlock the secret ending so watched it in YouTube.

Please do not click until you've beaten the game.

Spoiler

It's heavy implying that KHIV will be some sort of crossover between TWEWY and an alternative universe version of Versus XIII (the cutscene even has some of the Versus XIII/FFXV leitmotif in it). It seems like Nomura is maybe trying to make KHIV into FFXVI. Maybe there's some unresolved creative urges that he still wants to express.

It's also heavily suggested that Rex from Toy Story has already played this future game in the Toy Story world.

It's all very Yoko Taro.

I am very confused and somewhat unsatisfied.

Anyway, the game was fucking great. Easily the best one. I give it four hearts of light out of three irate pantsless ducks ?

edit
Just to add more meaningful impressions, I am really happy with how this one turned out. I've got some major reservations about some narrative stuff which I'm not even going to hint at or get into at all but when it comes to thrilling, colourful RPG hack-n-slash I struggle to think of anything that's worked as well for me as this. Some niggles I have is that I don't like how much recovery frames Sora has and how it makes it hard to do a block/parry in the heat of battle. That's a problem all these games have I think and it's a major issue across the entire series when they throw a gang of cloaked mutherfukers at you teleporting off screen to fuck your ass up with offscreen magic. But you learn after a while that it's a game which is less about tight reflex timings as it is about taking your time to anticipate those types of attacks.

Some parts of it are a little bit too Bayonetta 2 for me with the excess of spectacle over feeling in control over the crazy action, but there's not a lot of that type of thing really and it mostly stays solid throughout.

There are some great and not so great character moments. Some of the characters really disappointed me but I love Donald Duck in this. Guy is absolutely quackers for messing up heartless. But the Organisation are boring anime dudes just like they've always been.

Most of all I really like how the worlds are not just big linear boxes and corridors where you wail on heartles and proceed. Well, some of them are, like Monstropolis. But Toy Box is really just a big multi-tiered playground and when you come back with a fully kitted Sora and they power up the enemies flying around and messing them baddies up just has a wonderful 'game-feel' to it. But my favourite world I think is the Tangeld one. I haven't seen the film but it does the best job of melding the stupid KH plotline with the plot of the movie and the progression through the world is exciting and it has one great remix of a KHII track. It's much simpler in design than some other worlds however.

Least favourite world might be Frozen or Pirates. Pirates feels like a collection of weird set pieces which don't quite gel and has some Black Flag stuff in there. Maybe that sailing stuff is actually good and worth returning to the game for, I dunno yet. I do intend to play this some more cause I enjoyed it so much so maybe I'll go galavanting on the high seas and see.

Overall it's just really nice to play such a highly polished action game which is also made for kids. We've had our God of Wars and Red Dead Redemptions and more recently RE2s to salivate over but kids are underserved by games that can be this good. Definitely one for the 30~ish Dad/Mum gamers to play with their kids I reckon, get them hooked on something a bit more involved than fecking Fortnite or whatever the kids are into these days

Finished. 

31 hours and some change. 

Was unsure at first but I ended up absolutely loving it. When all the new mechanics clicked I started having a great time. I loved the Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End level, and the boss in the Frozen level was one of my favourite in the series. Toy Story and Monsters Inc were great, and I loved San Fransokyo but it was way too short. Too early to call it my favourite but I'm looking forward to playing through it again now I know all the mechanics and systems and seeing if it can knock KH2 off the top spot. Next playthrough will be on Proud mode as Standard was far too easy. 

Looking forward to what comes next, if the new secret video is anything to go by I'm guessing something in the vein of Dream Drop Distance and I am very ok with that, especially if it follows the pattern of the spin-off's appearing on handhelds and comes to the Switch.

It's very easy, even on Proud mode. Wasn't until the final boss rush that I started having any problems. Even then proud here is easier than standard in DDD which had me swearing at the TV with that fucking cunt and his timestop shit ?

If people want a standard mode playthrough then pick Proud. For easy pick standard. Don't pick beginner unless it's your first video game maybe.

Hopefully there's a final mix DLC down the road.

Interesting, I had no problem with DDD (I was lvl 55) and went back and did the last boss a couple more times so I could unlock the secret ending so Proud should be a walk in the park. Quite excited to start this one again in a couple of weeks. 

I was level 30 something. Riku got his shit wrecked, then transported through time to get his shit wrecked again and again.

The timing on that timestop thing is just bah.

I felt with Proud I was under enough pressure, the difficulty felt mostly comfortable I'd say. But I never used the attractions after the Olympus world so there was a bit of a self-handicap. Used the shit out of the weapon forms tho. That Highwind form for the POTC keyblade is so good.

Can you check your last few posts @one-armed dwarf and spoiler tag appropriately as I’ve just had a skim through previous posts and possibly had some stuff spoiled in regards to Riku. If in doubt whether something is a spoiler or not please spoiler tag anyway. :)

Anyhoo...started this today. Put in around 3 hours.

Initial impressions have been excellent and I’m absolutely gagging to be able to play more of it tomorrow. I definitely won’t be giving up on this one like I did with KH1 last year that’s for sure! 

It did did make me laugh though that the tutorial and character spec system was exactly the same as KH1, complete with the exact same mini-boss battle afterwards ?. The opening cut-scenes were pretty cool and a great intro to the game, I can imagine people not familiar with the series being completely lost by it though ?.

It is just damn impressive. The first time you land in the Olympus Coliseum everything just looks astounding, everything is so large, vibrant and colourful. I just couldn’t wait to get stuck in and start exploring.

The combat was probably my biggest worry going in as I detested it in KH1 and how simplistic it was was probably what caused me to throw in the towel. Thankfully, I’ve found it great in this so far. The movement and oomph of the moves still feels a bit light to me but the speed and ease of use is nice, I’m sure it it’ll get more complicated when more keyblades and magic spells get introduced as well.

It is a real delight and so incredibly fun, I was grinning like a Cheshire Cat with some of the attraction moves (or whatever they’re called) and let out an audible wow at the train section with the Titan.

I’m playing on Proud difficulty too as I heard the game is too easy on Normal, it’s still very easy so far on Proud so I’m glad I didn’t put the difficulty lower.

The game is just pure fun. Cannot wait to play more tomorrow.

Some pics:

Spoiler

8337664C-FD99-4F11-8B12-86369834E4CC.jpeg

A009FE8D-224B-439A-ADF4-1B52905C9EA7.jpeg

3CCA5B6E-D3F8-4B7B-8573-D91537D3281E.jpeg

D4B893A5-F791-426F-9A6D-06E763CB4492.jpeg