Nag

Resident Evil 2

Bullets can put the Plant zombies down for good,I did it with my Claire run. Shooting all the yellow bulbs on their body will kill them. Though admittedly some kept coming up for another go,eventually they stayed dead.

Was more satisfying to burn them with Leon. Good times. 

Finished Claire's B run today, back to being a bit slow again for some reason...

IMG_7a9f7172-864f-46cc-be5f-604e6e8f6b32.png

Getting those saves down though.

Also managed to clear The 4th Survivor mode...IMG_c37b6b91-bdcd-478b-bf87-6faaa434738f.png

That was actually pretty intense, I was led to believe you were fucked if you made it to the courtyard without a Grenade, well somehow I managed it.😁

I absolutely adore this game and Capcom have exceeded all of my expectations... But I will say I wish there were a few more meaningful changes in the scenarios, there's no different deaths for certain characters in the A and B runs like there were in the original, it's pretty much the same campaign save the true ending.

If Capcom ever do decide to Remake the third game I think they could have something seriously special on their hands, it's a more straight forward campaign... Yes it has the branching paths but they all lead to the same places.

Anyway, gonna start mixing up my playtime with other stuff again now... Although I think I feel a Hardcore playthrough calling....IMG_250aa69c-9676-462b-9306-bba13feb557d.png

I don’t know if Japanese people have a fear of moths and slugs, I’ve never heard about it, but I’ve never asked anyone either.

However, Japanese kids LOVE insects. Nobody here has a fear of spiders, and some of them have massive fuck off beetles as pets. They’re huge.

Also, I don’t know if it applies in general (I doubt it...), but many Japanese people seem to think tarantulas are “cute” and “fluffy”... I often see photos like that on Hello Talk or Instagram.

Check out this kid who feeds mosquitos with his own blood!

I played a bit more of this after my Goofy and Donald binge and walked right into my least favourite section so far I think. Ada walking around hacking walls while Mr X is stomping around.

Mr X is maybe the one bum note in the game for me. I don't find him scary and it's not got this "fight or flight" mechanism that something like Nemesis had. It's not got the meaningful decision points in RE3 where you can blow up a restaurant to put him out for a while, or fight him head on and get some special equipment. Every time the decision is made for you and it's always just "run".

It's one of those things where if they remake RE3 then I hope they find a way to turn those "live action events" or whatever they were called into something more dynamic and contextual. Like starting a fire in a kitchen to do enough damage to put him at bay. But having it like RE3 also where some of the decisions can backfire (at least I think that game had stuff like that).

It's a more interesting way I think than a tank that just walks at you and forces you to eat shit occasionally. But also very difficult to realise. But they kind of have to do it with RE3 cause Nemesis is that whole game and it needs to be a more interesting foe than Mr X.

Some of the more negative feedback I have seen concerning Mr. X is indicative of why Tyrant is a final boss and not a regular foe. I saw one YouTuber literally pour all the ammo he had (including Magnum) into Mr.X in the Main Hall. Having played the original, he expected X to fall. When he didn't, the YouTuber was annoyed that he just wasted all his ammo for nothing. Also, as I understand by that point in the game X doesn't leave you at all, which made it all the more frustrating. A Bullet-Sponge with no payoff is not a compelling antagonist. Nemesis was durable, but if you avoided his grabs he was defeatable in every difficulty. When the option to stand your ground is removed, player choice goes with it.

Considering the game even tells you during loading screens that conventional ammo is basically useless against Mr X I'd have to say that YouTuber was a pillock.👍

3 minutes ago, Nag said:

Considering the game even tells you during loading screens that conventional ammo is basically useless against the Mr X I'd have to say that YouTuber was a pillock.👍

Most likely. But, as I said, that's why Tyrant works as a final boss and not a regular in-game foe. The fact I didn't remember him at all from when I played the original showed how much of an impression he must have made on me back then. Yet if you are playing on old knowledge, you would think you can take him.

1 hour ago, OCH said:

if you are playing on old knowledge, you would think you can take him.

If you're playing with old knowledge you'd know you can't take... you could knock him down but he'd always get back to his feet, he was scripted in the original game and the trick was always getting past him expanding the least ammo possible.

He works a whole lot different in this game, I've seen people moaning about him warping to their position, in my experience that's utter bollocks... I've never once felt jipped by his appearance and once he is following you its easy enough to lead him then lose him in the station corridors, you just have to listen to his footsteps. 

Why people are trying to fight him is beyond me, even if I was new to the game I think I'd figure out I was wasting my time pretty quickly.

I’ve never felt gipped by him either. It created a new level of tension,particularly when you dived into a save Room,waited for his footsteps to fade,think “is it safe to come out?”. 

As for pouring all ammo into him,just a bad idea. Clearly not a boss,so legging it is the best option. You could down Nemesis, but doing so pissed away so much vital ammo that it wasn’t worth it. Unless you were running the infinite sub machine gun.

One of the parts of Nemesis I vividly recall is when you're just walking around and you would hear that roar *cue tension and that pursuit theme*. Later in the game, when you would just walk around the corner and there he was, in his Rocket Launcher glory. I think that latter part was a courtyard? I used to think he was everywhere. Looking back on it now, seeing him as selected scripted events is almost anti-climatic. As for bullets, I was always micro-managing ammo in RE. I tend not to waste it on Zombies. Nemesis himself and the later Hunters were the only real things I wanted to put down. Of course that strategy was redundant by RE 4, when that 'Survival' aspect got dropped and you could kill with Anime kicks and punches 🙄

@Nag What I meant by "take" Mr. X, was in the original game. You could knock him down and get a reward from the body. Then he would revive when you left the screen.

1 hour ago, OCH said:

What I meant by "take" Mr. X, was in the original game. You could knock him down and get a reward from the body. Then he would revive when you left the screen.

Yeah, generally less ammo than you used putting him down...😂😂

7 minutes ago, Nag said:

Yeah, generally less ammo than you used putting him down...😂😂

Better than nothing, to some people now 😂

At least with Nemesis, you got rare stuff when you downed him. The first couple times anyway.

Finished my Claire A. 

Excellent game, I thought. Really enjoyed the atmosphere and the 'weight' of the game, which I thought was pitched rather better than Resi revelations (the last one I played) which felt needlessly cumbersome to control at times.

I still feel a person might want to break out more than a laid back jog when trying to create distance in a showdown with a giant 20 eyed monstrosity, but there you go. 

Started the second scenario with Leon, but I might leave it for a bit. It seems to me I know too much about the layout of the station, and Leon wouldn't. Maybe a quick 10 hours on Vesperia to keep things fresh.

I beat Leon B last night, I did not enjoy it as much as Claire A. I felt like she had more interesting characters to meet and also it stood out how Leon fought the same G mutations as Claire in the exact same place in the exact same way, it just made the two scenarios feel a bit redundant and I was left wishing that they merged them together instead.

I also preferred the Aliens vibe Claire's campaign had. It's the main reason I went with her first tbh. It's very James Cameron.

Now I'm onto Leon A in hardcore mode. First zombo in the gas station took me out immediately. I am one ink ribbon in and have made it as far as the first proper safe room on the west side under the stairs near the dark room. It should be interesting to see what this ink ribbon economy is like. Looking at everyone's clear screens it seems we all finished with around 26 saves or so, which isn't far off what I had at the end of REmake 1.

But the thing that'll make this really tough is those zombos can't be gamed in this like in classic RE. No baiting them out and running around, or at least it's way harder to do now. They have far too far reach and can kill you in two chomps. It's going to be like playing REmake 1 but the whole police station is already infested with hunters from the get go. Hopefully I clear the place out before X gun give it to me.

Pfft, I’ve saved shit loads. Forgot that Resident Evil games judge you for it like some sort of overbearing, thrifty spouse.

Does this one mark you down for using first aid sprays as well?

@Middle_Class_Hero... Time is the only thing that matters if you want a S rank to get an S+ you can only save three times, nothing else matters.

1 hour ago, one-armed dwarf said:

I am one ink ribbon in and have made it as far as the first proper safe room on the west side under the stairs near the dark room. It should be interesting to see what this ink ribbon economy is like.

That's pretty much exactly where I left off with Leon in Hardcore yesterday... I have one very important item over you though... The unbreakable knife. Hardcore has already changed how I'm playing the game, previous runs were all about the headshots now it's kneecapping them and slashing the fuck out of them until they don't get back up.

For me it's about kneecaps and waiting interminal amounts of time to see if they move before popping them in the head/sneaking past with gun trained on them.

Need the station as cleared out as possible before the tyrant comes. Missed out on a window board in the demo section however and that's going to cost me at least one chomp later on. One chomp is half a first aid spray, it's no joke. The chomp economy is very harsh

One fecking ink ribbon in the save room under the statue. 😡

I already lost 30 minutes of progress between getting chomped on my way back through the east side of the station after the helicopter crash. Shotgun has become default problem solver against these resilient zombos

I remember watching a REmake (1) 100% speedrun, wherein the guy playing it referred to the default handgun in any RE game as a "noob trap". That you should only use it defensively until the game gives you the first upgrade IE Grenade Launcher or Shotgun. That should be your new default and you should ditch the handgun completely. It got me thinking, I don't think I bothered with the hand gun much at all playing the original RE's. RE4 was probably the first game to give legitimacy back to the default weapon via the upgrade system.

I'm in to the parking lot, I was laughing for a while having used only one red/green herb combo but Birkin cost me four health top ups and almost all my ammo reserves... and all my defense items save the knife (which you can actually lose)

There's also the problem that most of the corridors in the station are now overrun with zombies and lickers,  it's gonna be fun leading Mr X around in that mess when he shows up.

Think I've saved four times and have five ribbons left.