passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Resident Evil 2

ThreeFour

1 minute ago, AndyKurosaki said:

He is indeed. More so than he was previously.

That's good to know. I know they padded out Marvin, so I was a little apprehensive they would try to make Irons into something a bit more ...sympathetic

@Nag Have you seen the REmake 1 randomiser? They put Tyrant as a random enemy encounter. You know, the boss that is indestructible unless you have the Rocket Launcher. Imagine two of them popping out of the windows in that early hallway where you first encounter the dogs? ?

The Ghost Survivors DLC is out,a small update (1gb). And the scenarios are pretty damn tricky. Each character has their own unique zombie to deal with. And I have a newfound hatred for those fucking plant zombies. Because they insta-kill you if you don’t have any Defense items,and due to a low amount of resources,you quite often don’t. Bastards.

I’ve managed to clear the mayor’s daughter+Ghost scenarios on Training,which gives you slightly more ammo to start with,but is still far from Easy mode.

They really messed up trying to do the 2nd run scenario thing. The ways in which it's harder and/or different aren't enough to make it really feel like a worthwhile time to do it all again and more Mr X isn't fun because he's neither scary nor interesting as enemy types go.

Like there are minor ways in which he gives an interesting flavour to exploring the station, like if you forgot to clear a hallway out of lickers and now you're fucked for going down that hallway cause you can't creep past a licker when the Tyrant is stomping behind you. But that's it really.

I really wish there was an A playthrough just with that B playthrough ending so it feels a bit more complete. The A Leon run on hardcore is the best time I had with the game but doing B Claire is sort of dull to me just kiting that big fedora asshole around. It just comes down to the lack of interesting options to deal with him, the choice is made for you and it's just to run away.

The A scenario uses him much more sparingly and is better for that imo.

I tried that Hunk thing and didn't like it much, it's just a zombo gauntlet. I would like to see them try and design interesting difficulties for the core game. Like maybe add some weird modifers like item boxes being unique (REmake 1 has this). It would create issues going to the lab but would still be interesting. Or make that no item box trophy be linked to a game mode which removes them altogether.

Me and a mate started this the other night and at the minute I am impressed but not really satisfied. It is obviously very high quality and production valued out the ass but it’s just a bit lacking in bite. That’s not a pun, I don’t do puns. 

I played for just over 2 hours and only got hit once. I’m playing on standard, and no doubt it will get tougher. But the sense of dread, which it does extremely well, is completely undermined by the lack of threat. I haven’t reached Mr X yet and I’ve only seen 1 licker. But so far I only got hit once and have shot about 5 or 6 zombies, 2 of which was just in the leg so I could get by. I was concerned about ammo but then I got 70 handgun bullets and over a dozen shotgun shells. I’m only scared by the thought of what might be there but when something is actually there I’m too slippery and well stocked to actually be worried.

It feels good, though. Movement physics are weighted very well, sound FX and sound design are super high standard, puzzle solving is ridiculous. But then that’s just this series and is fun sitting there laughing at it with a friend. Each individual thing on it’s own feels good and is satisfying but as a whole it just feels like the bark is worse than the bite. No that’s not a repeated joke, I don’t repeat jokes. 

As difficulty goes I'd say it's directly comparable to the original RE2. Which means it's not that difficult, but at least here it feels the zombos are a little riskier to bait and run against cause there are several different types with different range grabs which can cause you to misread them easily.

The real deal is hardcore mode but it's also a bit of an overcompensation as a single bite brings you down to "danger". Meanwhile a haymaker from the tyrant might bring you down to caution. It's strangely balanced. But I never had an ammo surplus while playing so it brought all these old Code Veronica memories back. That was the first RE I played so obviously the one that caused me the most grief (I think actually it's supposed to be second hardest as well or something).

Course if you're a wimp you can bring the infiknife with you ???

I finally started this earlier today, only about 4 hours in. It's a bit good isn't it?

Went with Leon to start with as I wanted to see what happens after the demo portion ends. I love pretty much everything about it so far, I do have a few minor grumbles though which I'll get out of the way now:

• Some graphical anomalies on some of the background textures, for example a stair case where the sides of the stairs were all low quality super pixelated and muddy looking, same goes for the odd picture frame or something in the background of a room or when trying to crack a safe I get pop-in as the camera readjusts. 
  • It still looks a little washed out graphically. I don't have HDR on my Monitor so I've no idea what that's like but it just feels a little overly bright sometimes if that makes sense? It feels a little unnatural at times going from the very wet lit RPD lobby to one of the dark rooms when suddenly everything is way darker.
  • It's a bit easy. I haven't really felt under pressure at any time yet, ammo seems to be plentiful, save rooms seem to be spaced way closer together then they should be and whenever I'm bitten it takes two bites just to be taken down to 'caution'. I have a ridiculous amount of healing herbs, first aid sprays etc. that I'll never use sitting in the storage box too. I just haven't felt that 'back against the wall' kind of feeling yet - hopefully that changes once Mr. X comes on the scene.

So with all that out the way. It is pretty phenomenal really, I have been incredibly impressed with it. 

Having been a relative newbie to the Resident Evil games (RE5 was the first I ever completed) RE7 was the first designed like RE games of old I'd properly given the time of day too since my ill-fated efforts to play REmake and RE0 back on the GameCube. It wasn't the first time I'd experienced first hand that heady mix of challenge, frights, intensity and metroidvania but it was the first time I'd opened myself up to it and had the experience come together as a whole to create something fantastic in my mind, the first time I properly understood why folks adored the series so much.

Having no reference for any of the plot points of the original game RE2 just feels like an extension of RE7 with a different camera style really. That's no bad thing as I enjoyed RE7 a lot and I'm finding RE2 just as satisfying to explore. The atmosphere is phenomenal - it is just absolutely dripping in it - the sound design and the way certain lighting effects play on your imagination is genius. Exploring this grand old strange Police station, just wanting to find out how to unlock a door or get to a certain piece of gear hidden temptingly behind an automated locked locker. 

The zombies are meticulously well designed and keep you on your toes at all times, you're never quite 100% comfortable with their presence despite possibly putting 20-30 bullets in them and the Lickers are truly terrifying - particularly from afar. The feel of the guns is excellent, the pistols have a really nice pop to them and it is satisfying when you successfully hit a Zombie in the head, the visciousness of the shotgun and its ability to make a zombies head vanish in an instant is very nice too.

I really couldn't put it down. I just found it utterly intoxicating exploring this fantastically well designed and well detailed Police Station, I just wanted to dive in deeper and deeper to see what would happen next. Even though I have some small complaints about the graphics that I will try to address tomorrow it really is a fantastically good looking game by and large.

Lots of pics:

Spoiler

883710_20190225151605_1.png883710_20190225151614_1.png883710_20190225152736_1.png883710_20190225182733_1.png883710_20190225153915_1.png

883710_20190225153133_1.png

883710_20190225151714_1.png883710_20190225155931_1.png883710_20190225152926_1.png