passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Resident Evil 2

ThreeFour

3 minutes ago, Nag said:

Considering the game even tells you during loading screens that conventional ammo is basically useless against the Mr X I'd have to say that YouTuber was a pillock.?

Most likely. But, as I said, that's why Tyrant works as a final boss and not a regular in-game foe. The fact I didn't remember him at all from when I played the original showed how much of an impression he must have made on me back then. Yet if you are playing on old knowledge, you would think you can take him.

1 hour ago, OCH said:

if you are playing on old knowledge, you would think you can take him.

If you're playing with old knowledge you'd know you can't take... you could knock him down but he'd always get back to his feet, he was scripted in the original game and the trick was always getting past him expanding the least ammo possible.

He works a whole lot different in this game, I've seen people moaning about him warping to their position, in my experience that's utter bollocks... I've never once felt jipped by his appearance and once he is following you its easy enough to lead him then lose him in the station corridors, you just have to listen to his footsteps. 

Why people are trying to fight him is beyond me, even if I was new to the game I think I'd figure out I was wasting my time pretty quickly.

I’ve never felt gipped by him either. It created a new level of tension,particularly when you dived into a save Room,waited for his footsteps to fade,think “is it safe to come out?”. 

As for pouring all ammo into him,just a bad idea. Clearly not a boss,so legging it is the best option. You could down Nemesis, but doing so pissed away so much vital ammo that it wasn’t worth it. Unless you were running the infinite sub machine gun.

One of the parts of Nemesis I vividly recall is when you're just walking around and you would hear that roar *cue tension and that pursuit theme*. Later in the game, when you would just walk around the corner and there he was, in his Rocket Launcher glory. I think that latter part was a courtyard? I used to think he was everywhere. Looking back on it now, seeing him as selected scripted events is almost anti-climatic. As for bullets, I was always micro-managing ammo in RE. I tend not to waste it on Zombies. Nemesis himself and the later Hunters were the only real things I wanted to put down. Of course that strategy was redundant by RE 4, when that 'Survival' aspect got dropped and you could kill with Anime kicks and punches ?

@Nag What I meant by "take" Mr. X, was in the original game. You could knock him down and get a reward from the body. Then he would revive when you left the screen.

1 hour ago, OCH said:

What I meant by "take" Mr. X, was in the original game. You could knock him down and get a reward from the body. Then he would revive when you left the screen.

Yeah, generally less ammo than you used putting him down...??

7 minutes ago, Nag said:

Yeah, generally less ammo than you used putting him down...??

Better than nothing, to some people now ?

At least with Nemesis, you got rare stuff when you downed him. The first couple times anyway.

Finished my Claire A. 

Excellent game, I thought. Really enjoyed the atmosphere and the 'weight' of the game, which I thought was pitched rather better than Resi revelations (the last one I played) which felt needlessly cumbersome to control at times.

I still feel a person might want to break out more than a laid back jog when trying to create distance in a showdown with a giant 20 eyed monstrosity, but there you go. 

Started the second scenario with Leon, but I might leave it for a bit. It seems to me I know too much about the layout of the station, and Leon wouldn't. Maybe a quick 10 hours on Vesperia to keep things fresh.

I beat Leon B last night, I did not enjoy it as much as Claire A. I felt like she had more interesting characters to meet and also it stood out how Leon fought the same G mutations as Claire in the exact same place in the exact same way, it just made the two scenarios feel a bit redundant and I was left wishing that they merged them together instead.

I also preferred the Aliens vibe Claire's campaign had. It's the main reason I went with her first tbh. It's very James Cameron.

Now I'm onto Leon A in hardcore mode. First zombo in the gas station took me out immediately. I am one ink ribbon in and have made it as far as the first proper safe room on the west side under the stairs near the dark room. It should be interesting to see what this ink ribbon economy is like. Looking at everyone's clear screens it seems we all finished with around 26 saves or so, which isn't far off what I had at the end of REmake 1.

But the thing that'll make this really tough is those zombos can't be gamed in this like in classic RE. No baiting them out and running around, or at least it's way harder to do now. They have far too far reach and can kill you in two chomps. It's going to be like playing REmake 1 but the whole police station is already infested with hunters from the get go. Hopefully I clear the place out before X gun give it to me.

@Middle_Class_Hero... Time is the only thing that matters if you want a S rank to get an S+ you can only save three times, nothing else matters.

1 hour ago, one-armed dwarf said:

I am one ink ribbon in and have made it as far as the first proper safe room on the west side under the stairs near the dark room. It should be interesting to see what this ink ribbon economy is like.

That's pretty much exactly where I left off with Leon in Hardcore yesterday... I have one very important item over you though... The unbreakable knife. Hardcore has already changed how I'm playing the game, previous runs were all about the headshots now it's kneecapping them and slashing the fuck out of them until they don't get back up.

For me it's about kneecaps and waiting interminal amounts of time to see if they move before popping them in the head/sneaking past with gun trained on them.

Need the station as cleared out as possible before the tyrant comes. Missed out on a window board in the demo section however and that's going to cost me at least one chomp later on. One chomp is half a first aid spray, it's no joke. The chomp economy is very harsh

I remember watching a REmake (1) 100% speedrun, wherein the guy playing it referred to the default handgun in any RE game as a "noob trap". That you should only use it defensively until the game gives you the first upgrade IE Grenade Launcher or Shotgun. That should be your new default and you should ditch the handgun completely. It got me thinking, I don't think I bothered with the hand gun much at all playing the original RE's. RE4 was probably the first game to give legitimacy back to the default weapon via the upgrade system.

I'm in to the parking lot, I was laughing for a while having used only one red/green herb combo but Birkin cost me four health top ups and almost all my ammo reserves... and all my defense items save the knife (which you can actually lose)

There's also the problem that most of the corridors in the station are now overrun with zombies and lickers,  it's gonna be fun leading Mr X around in that mess when he shows up.

Think I've saved four times and have five ribbons left.

I did that same fight, it is no joke. 8 shotgun shells and about 40 handguns into the general vicinity of his big eyeball. He has two states I think, one where he's more Birkin and less dangerous, but harder to damage cause his eye is shut. One where he's all G and more vicious but weaker to damage.

Anyway, my dog clearly does not approve of Birkins decision to turn himself into an eyeball dragon

Like an addict I'm back in the station for the Leon B caper. I didn't realize that the scenarios were not really connected by narrative. For some reason I was expecting to find doors unlocked by Claire still open etc, but I'm basically doing the same shit, including finding medallions and charging C4 in the same locations. It's a bit weird, really.

I don't know why I was expecting that, I just was. And I don't really know why it's not like that. It would certainly make more sense.

Plus, Mr X is far more active in this scenario, and is more annoying than scary if I'm honest, especially after sussing that just running in a bit of a circle as he approaches seems to leave him completely flustered. Silly bugger.

If only hardcore mode was relaxing ?

I had a very rough run in at the west staircase. Mr X was around and I knew there was a licker about so I knew I needed to use my new magnum to clear the place up. Well turns out there were two of the cunting fucks there and they wrecked me. Got out of there after wasting a few rounds but came back later with a grenade. I could have cut my losses as I didn't really even need to go there but by that point it was personal. That's my favourite safe spot they're guarding ?