passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Resident Evil 2

ThreeFour

I'm now fighting walking plants, and was lucky to spot their little weakness in all the gloom.

I think the PS4 level graphics definitely boost the atmosphere for games like this. Some of the lighting, especially the way the torch works, has been so wonderfully done you don't think about it. It's just so natural. 

The plant enemies in the lab (based on the original RE 2) much like the giant moth, always felt really out of place to me. I mean, what was the context for a mutant moth? The plant boss in RE 1 certainly made more sense than the existence of the Triffids in RE 2.

Is that why they were there @DANGERMAN... I didn't know they had a fear of those things.

@bellow.... Now I know this is entirely dependent on ammo so if you're out of Flame rounds then put bluntly you're shit outta luck... One flame round to put in on ground, one more to finish them off.

Bullets can put the Plant zombies down for good,I did it with my Claire run. Shooting all the yellow bulbs on their body will kill them. Though admittedly some kept coming up for another go,eventually they stayed dead.

Was more satisfying to burn them with Leon. Good times. 

Finished Claire's B run today, back to being a bit slow again for some reason...

IMG_7a9f7172-864f-46cc-be5f-604e6e8f6b32.png

Getting those saves down though.

Also managed to clear The 4th Survivor mode...IMG_c37b6b91-bdcd-478b-bf87-6faaa434738f.png

That was actually pretty intense, I was led to believe you were fucked if you made it to the courtyard without a Grenade, well somehow I managed it.?

I absolutely adore this game and Capcom have exceeded all of my expectations... But I will say I wish there were a few more meaningful changes in the scenarios, there's no different deaths for certain characters in the A and B runs like there were in the original, it's pretty much the same campaign save the true ending.

If Capcom ever do decide to Remake the third game I think they could have something seriously special on their hands, it's a more straight forward campaign... Yes it has the branching paths but they all lead to the same places.

Anyway, gonna start mixing up my playtime with other stuff again now... Although I think I feel a Hardcore playthrough calling....IMG_250aa69c-9676-462b-9306-bba13feb557d.png

I don’t know if Japanese people have a fear of moths and slugs, I’ve never heard about it, but I’ve never asked anyone either.

However, Japanese kids LOVE insects. Nobody here has a fear of spiders, and some of them have massive fuck off beetles as pets. They’re huge.

Also, I don’t know if it applies in general (I doubt it...), but many Japanese people seem to think tarantulas are “cute” and “fluffy”... I often see photos like that on Hello Talk or Instagram.

Check out this kid who feeds mosquitos with his own blood!

I played a bit more of this after my Goofy and Donald binge and walked right into my least favourite section so far I think. Ada walking around hacking walls while Mr X is stomping around.

Mr X is maybe the one bum note in the game for me. I don't find him scary and it's not got this "fight or flight" mechanism that something like Nemesis had. It's not got the meaningful decision points in RE3 where you can blow up a restaurant to put him out for a while, or fight him head on and get some special equipment. Every time the decision is made for you and it's always just "run".

It's one of those things where if they remake RE3 then I hope they find a way to turn those "live action events" or whatever they were called into something more dynamic and contextual. Like starting a fire in a kitchen to do enough damage to put him at bay. But having it like RE3 also where some of the decisions can backfire (at least I think that game had stuff like that).

It's a more interesting way I think than a tank that just walks at you and forces you to eat shit occasionally. But also very difficult to realise. But they kind of have to do it with RE3 cause Nemesis is that whole game and it needs to be a more interesting foe than Mr X.

Some of the more negative feedback I have seen concerning Mr. X is indicative of why Tyrant is a final boss and not a regular foe. I saw one YouTuber literally pour all the ammo he had (including Magnum) into Mr.X in the Main Hall. Having played the original, he expected X to fall. When he didn't, the YouTuber was annoyed that he just wasted all his ammo for nothing. Also, as I understand by that point in the game X doesn't leave you at all, which made it all the more frustrating. A Bullet-Sponge with no payoff is not a compelling antagonist. Nemesis was durable, but if you avoided his grabs he was defeatable in every difficulty. When the option to stand your ground is removed, player choice goes with it.