passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Resident Evil 2

ThreeFour

Played a few more hours. I had high hopes for this,been waiting for it ever since Resi 1 Remake on GameCube.

And this is most definitely worth the wait. Zombies are genuinely terrifying in groups,in a way the series hasn’t been in a long time.

I like how bodies stay where you drop them,as it makes you think “ok,this area is clear”. Until later you forget if you killed them or not,and feel paranoid around every corpse.

Its been an absolute joy thus far. Capcom have put a ton of effort into this. And it’s just bloody fantastic.

Haven't played much Resident Evil over the years but this has started off brilliantly. Although I'm only about a hour in & not sure my heart can cope with this. Genuinely such a pussy with these sort of games. 

Absolutely love it. Couldn't get off last night I was so engrossed. Different, yet familiar. 

Like @Middle_Class_Hero mentioned I'm not sold on the knife degradation. It's got an extra last gasp utility now which is cool. But the knife was a staple before. If you're not sure a zombie is dead or if a room of them will get up - slash them with a knife. That's a Resi staple. Also putting them down on the floor and finish with the knife. Now you have to weigh up using those bullets or your knife. Kinda cool I suppose but I hope they're plenty enough.

Currently I'm doing just fine. It's about the same difficulty and bullet management as before, thus far. I've killed everything, not needed to heal, and I've still good ammo. This all could change though. 

I do miss the Ueada plinky piano music from the original. I don't know if you need to be a mark and pony up for that ? it added atmosphere and is one of the things I find important. It feels a bit barren here at times in this respect. 

Also I miss the shimmering pickups. Walked right by the first aid soon as you walk in the Station. Fortunately the map displays everything now, so I got it ? but missing this effect is more a silly one. 

Nice, not clicking the second spoiler tab yet though. @one-armed dwarf

I've left off for the day with Claire just getting to the orphanage... I've loved every minute so far, so much love and thought has gone into this thing with loads of little quality touches. I killed a zombie earlier who was a little too close to Claire instead of just falling through her there was an animation of her sidestepping and brushing it off as it fell.

IMG_53750cf6-edc5-42a7-8e7d-ec63dd65ab78.png

I tried creeping past some of these guys earlier and it actually worked fairly well, the return trip failed miserably though.

IMG_68d222cc-6b87-45b0-a9c3-7f10681578d5.png

Mr X is stomping around now, this is about as close as I like to get to him...?

There's been some nice tips of the hat to the original too.

Spoiler

IMG_9428bd4e-9272-4b1a-a018-d2bc36b57c10.png

Sorry Marvin, it was you or me.

IMG_37485608-3896-4ac2-b8eb-eef70b5511d8.png

Mayor's daughter...

IMG_ab2bcef8-041c-49b2-8c77-cdfa6e0fb73f.png

That's as close to happiness she'll get I expect.

Anyone remember this babe?IMG_2148e645-66e3-4dcd-b8a4-413d0f7bb467.png

She was the poster girl zombie of the original game.?

The knifes are a thing that upset the balance in some earlier games. Code Veronica's knife was particularly ridiculous.

It means you don't get to be so thorough in dispatching zombos so easily. There's a cost attached now. If you want to be sure, pop a few 9mm in their heads when they're down. Be frugal or be careful? It works well I think.

I got myself in some trouble a few times not double checking them. Btw, if you want to delimb a zombo give it a spray of the machine gun in the shins.

6 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

The knifes are a thing that upset the balance in some earlier games. Code Veronica's knife was particularly ridiculous.

It means you don't get to be so thorough in dispatching zombos so easily. If you want to be sure, pop a few 9mm in their heads when they're down. Be frugal or be careful? It works well I think.

I got myself in some trouble a few times not double checking them. Btw, if you want to delimb a zombo give it a spray of the machine gun in the shins.

The knifes were risk/reward. In groups or tight areas it could often be risky. Plus it made sense as a last resort thing. Knifes don't break like they're sporks. 

So far I kinda enjoy the balance. I'm giving this game its own room to ferment. If it's sour later, we'll see. 

Surprised the speed you've gone through it ?

I'm still just bowled over by how good it all is and how well it works.

There are some niggles. Like I said I didn't like the sewers. I'm not sure what I think about Mr X but I've never been a big fan of stalker type enemies in RE anyway.

But everything around that. The updating of the enemy designs. The sense of place in RPD, the way you build out a mental geography of the different areas and where they connect to. The pacing and how it doesn't overstay it's welcome. That they made it all work with a modern control scheme and it didn't feel neutered. That it pissed in the eye of those who said that this type of game couldn't be made again (and I was one of those who said that). It fixes pretty much every problem I had with REVII while building upon its framework.

I just need a bit of distance from playing it to decide if I think it's the best RE game. But given I just played REmake 1 a few weeks ago I feel fairly confident that it might just be.

22 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

(and I was one of those who said that

Respect you admitted that. I rose my eyebrow on the sentence before it ??

Yeah I agree I'm feeling the same sentiments so far. 

I want a day where the wife goes out so I can give a good deep session ???

Currently got Mr X stalking me while I hoover up stuff I can now get with keys and items I found. Are you meant to fight him or just leg it?

I died for the first time trying to get away from him and ran right into a licker, when I was already low on health.

It’s mindblowing how resilient the zombies are. There was one in the library that I shot in the head multiple times. Down he went,so I figured I was ok to start exploring. Soon afterwards,he got back up for round 2. Few more headshots dropped him,and I stabbed him on the floor multiple times to make sure he stayed down. 

Off I go to look around,when less than 2 minutes later,he got up AGAIN. Really was tense,had me going “Why the frig won’t you just die?”.

Havent fought a Licker yet. I’ve seen a few,but legged it past them. Because fuck that lol

10 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Are you meant to fight him or just leg it?

So far I've legged it from him, I shot his hat off (obviously) and shot him with two acid rounds which seemed to have bugger all effect... That was enough for me, I'm out.?

46 minutes ago, AndyKurosaki said:

It’s mindblowing how resilient the zombies are. There was one in the library that I shot in the head multiple times. Down he went,so I figured I was ok to start exploring. Soon afterwards,he got back up for round 2. Few more headshots dropped him,and I stabbed him on the floor multiple times to make sure he stayed down. 

Off I go to look around,when less than 2 minutes later,he got up AGAIN. Really was tense,had me going “Why the frig won’t you just die?”.

The big guy? Yeah. I’ve put about 15 bullets into his head and I’m still not convinced I’ve seen the last of him.