passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Elex

shinymcshine

I'm never quite sure, when browsing the PS Sale that I clearly bypass the highly reviewed AAA games that I've never played, and turn to something niche, but it's often the way it turns out.

Couldn't find a thread for Elex but I know a couple of the GamesTM people played it, so thought I'd give it a go.

Seems a bit overwhelming in the early stages, 2-3 hrs in, wandering off gets me quickly killed, whilst walking around picking up quests in the barbarian village is a big hit & miss (no way to access inventory or map without using that item they don't want you to use....) But I'm reassured from reviews that after the first 5 hrs or so it gets a whole lot better.

8 minutes ago, radiofloyd said:

Have you played any of Piranha Bytes previous games?

Yep, enjoyed Risen and 80% of Risen 2* on 360, and both of those had slow grindy starts too, and I hovered over the buy button for Titan Lords before going for Elex.

* I had a gamebreaking bug on Risen 2 where a cave/temple that was suppose to open didn't, even though I had all the objectives completed but I'd done them in the 'wrong' order.

Couple of things I learnt - travelling with a companion makes combat situations much easier, but rely on them too much and they might die* !

Suffered from some dreadful slowdown today when combat with about 6-8 enemies got a bit frantic (I escaped via jetpack to a rooftop and used my bow).

* A quick online look suggests they will come back at the end of the combat, albeit if the situation is too tough getting them out of there might be a problem.

Around 10 hrs in, now at lv 7, and I'm enjoying it, but it's really tough in places (and the only way to find out is by stumbling into the wrong areas).

But that's okay, since it provides a different challenge - I had a quest today to retrieve someone's club from the arena area. Okay I'll do that, checks map, oh the arena is where that super hard robot is, right next to that club. So no way I can fight it, but through carefully use of bow, jetpack and scenery, I can lure it way, then grab the club, and scarper quickly - which after a couple of aborts, I did.

So you have that hopelessly underpowered feeling that was there in Risen (and not dissimilar to that in KC:D) when at lower levels, but you grown use to it, and I guess eventually hit a point where you can go back and take out your anger !

Running around the Outlaws camp area with Ray, and now collection pieces for a nuclear bomb.

I've upgraded to a hatchet and shield, but still haven't chosen a faction, just doing the odd bits for each one, ableit I did plant the bugging device in the clerics transmitter, so unlikely I'll be choosing them !

Still having to run (or jetpack) from many combat situations though. The sense of being underpowered is still quite prevalent.

Really like the depth they've put into the world, audiotapes and diaries aside, coming across a slaughtered camp, or the belongings and blood or skeleton really adds to that imposing feeling of vulnerability.

I need to play more of this, I only picked it up late last year and played for a good few hours, but it was basically a series of lessons on how not to play the game. It's definitely tough and unforgiving and you can screw yourself over on builds, so now I'm more familiar with the game I want to start over. It doesn't help that I haven't played the previous games from the devs, but its clear there is a very good RPG here along with the jank.

Made it to LV 13 after 20 hrs and have caused a bit of chaos with my actions leading to the Alb taking over the dome - which was a huge surprise when I went back there !

I still feel massively underpowered, so in order to make combat a bit more enjoyable/evenhanded I've dropped the difficulty to easy - which is much more forgiving about stamina consumption (in order to raise my stamina I have to put a huge amount of attribute points into constitution, noting after a certain level you only go up 1 pt per 2 spent). Its still far from easy though, just means reloading a bit less.

Finally reached a point where I had the full choice of which faction to join - so opted for the Outlaws - which at least will put me on the right? side for that big atomic bomb which I helped restore.

I'm surprised about how much of the map I still haven't explored - today's highlights include coming across a lighthouse and later a medieval castle.

No idea - but some of the stat requirements for items are like STR 75+ DEX 70+ etc, and at 5 attributes points per level (2/1 rate after reaching 30) I'd have to be somewhere towards level 30 before I could get my stats close to those figures - and I've not sunk too much into the CON , INT or CUNNING attributes either.

Also noting some things (big mechs in particular) can still pretty much one-shot me !

• 2 weeks later...

Good news - I found a flamethrower and it does loads of damage

Bad news - you can't run, roll or jetpack with a flamethrower equipped

So it's requires a special kind of controller dexterity to arm, aim, burn, unequip, move/dodge and repeat.

Which is okay, as without the movement penalty it'd make combat way too easy.

I'd hit a bit of a blocker in terms of the main quest due to the big mechs at the northern convertor which killed me with regular monotony. So did a bunch of random wandering and sidequests

Finally hit a point where I had to do the main quest, so just went for it with jetpack 2h fire sword and plenty of aggression, and it worked! Mechanical weren't too tough when attacked at close range (so long as you avoid their stomps). Now got my Crony bot companion rebooted too.

Onwards !

That's all the convertors done and a big bunch of main quest that was necessary to do it - really must be moving close to the end now.

What I've not mentioned so far is the excellent minigame that you do when using the hack skill (for electronic locks).

You're presented with a 0-9 keypad, where sometimes some buttons are blanked out. Hacking then gives you a maths sequence (greater, less than, or equal to, the adjacent number) of how the 4 digit code is sequenced (eg.  *  < *  = *  > * , where the code might be 2,3,3,1 or a variation along those lines eg. 5,9,9,2 etc).

Then you try a sequence that might fit, and are given a green if digit is correct, yellow if it appears but is in wrong place, and red if it doesn't appear in sequence. Then you can retry, a number of times depending on you skill. 

Oh and there's a countdown timer too.

Pretty fun, a bit stressful and frantic, and requires brain work. One of the best, most relevant, mini games I've played though (so much better than Fallout hacking, or Bioshock pipe puzzles).

55 hrs on the save game, and credits are rolling, albeit there is some mopping up (mostly conversations with remaining allies) to do.

Overall the gameplay and graphics are a bit ropey at times, but the story, interwoven factions and companions are better than, let's say, Fallout  4, so it's engaging enough to hold your interest if you like your open world RPGs.