passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Kingdom Hearts: HD REMIX Retro replay

one-armed dwarf

Blakey told me to put it here but I feel BBS is too old and small a game for its own thread so I figure I'd just make one for the collection itself

BBS is the only one I intend to catch up on for now as well as that prologue thing (it's like three hours long apparently and is a direct sequel to BBS)

Cross posting from KHIII thread

I'm about 5 hours into Terra's "campaign" in BBS and I'm getting bored. This game feels starved of the charm of the PS2 game. Environments are really bare (even the ones that are returning) and the cutscenes arent always animat ed very well. Voice performances are worse than on PS2. I think I miss Donald and Goofy.

So basically it's a PSP adapt ation of a console game with all the downgrades that you'd expect.

But the combat is actually quite alright. I find Terra very slow and stiff to control but there's some neat stu ff in there. I think the BBS team is also the KHIII team as well so some of this will carry over maybe.

EDIT

Well I beat Terra's campaign. The final section was actually pretty cool. Lots of one on one boss fights. The story still doesn't make sense tho cause you have to play the other two characters to see wtf is going on with them. Nier Automata all over again .

The game as a whole just feels so bare tho. Rubbish versions of Disney worlds and very few NPCs. If this is the high watermark of the KH spinoffs then Im not too sorry I missed them. Xenahort or however you spell it is a fun guy tho.

EDIT2 I was just looking at the voice talent for this game. Leonard Nemoy is Xeonhort!? ?

And Mark Hamill plays Master Eraqus, who is based off of Hironobu Sakaguchi, creator of Final Fantasy. Two cool dudes for the price of one.

latest?cb=20101002104117

I’ve finished BBS, KH1, and Re:CoM on stream, and I’m almost done with KH2.

I enjoyed BBS, the gameplay feels like a stripped down version of KH2, and each character feels and plays quite differently. The story was a winner for me - it sets up and explains so much, and I had a lot of “Ah ha!” moments playing it, and now that I’m almost done with KH2 the Final Mix version has some extra scenes that tie into BBS that was real cool to see.

KH1 is a hot mess. It’s slow, combat is awkward and clunky, the design of the worlds is rubbish and feel more like small decorated rooms that actual world’s. Bosses aren’t fun, and the last few hours is some of the most boring and drawn out and the last boss fight goes on for far too long. I love the story and music though, and some of the later levels feel better designed than earlier ones so it’s not all bad.

Re:CoM Memories was a lot more fun than I was expecting it to be. I finished it in GBA around 13 years ago, and played a little on PS2 and PS3 since then but never sat down to finish it. Silly story and easily exploited gameplay, but much nicer than KH1 to play.

KH2 is fantastic and I’m questioning why I haven’t played it since I finished it on PS2. The combat is fast, responsive, flashy and insanely satisfying, worlds feel big and open, music is fantastic, story is crazy and I love it. Definitely the best of the bunch by far, although I haven’t played 3D yet, but I can’t see it topping this. 

So despite dumping on it on the other thread I started playing Chain of Memories and holy shit I really like this. I fought Axel and it was like a duel, trying to pull out the right value card to cancel his attacks.

The environment design is very prefab and lazy but mechanically it's more interesting than Birth By Sleep to me.

Whether my impressions stay positive later I dunno as I never hear this one discussed highly. But then it's a weird entry cause technically it has two versions and most haven't played the PS2 version that's in this collection

I beat Chain of Memories. My feelings on it definitely cooled as it's got some insane padding owing to the lack of meaningful story content in the Disney worlds (which are refreshes of kh1 worlds apparently) and the way your progress is gated by weird RNG systems where you need the right card to open a door. Also you fight the same four characters multiple times it feels like.

But I do like it better than Birth by Sleep.i think. The card combat is weird and I think when they did the 3D remake they maybe made a mistake as your position on the battlefield is superfluous to what cards you have ready. Definitely feels like it was made for 2d. But it has a tactical edge and risk/reward thing which appealed to me more than BBS which is sort of floaty and boring.

Plot is stupid and I don't know how relevant it all really is. It introduces all these characters who I thought started off in KHII but actually came from this but even so it seems like a very incidental storyline. I don't know maybe my IQ is just not capable of handling it.

Here's a taste of that weird combat, me fighting Axel near the end

Finished KH2 on Saturday. It was a lot better than I remember it being, and I remember loving it when it first came out. Absolutely everything is an improvement over KH1, it's a fantastic game and I'm looking forward to playing through it again. 

Currently 7 hours into Dream Drop Distance and I'm really enjoying it. The Flowmotion mechanic took a minute to get used to, but I think I got it now. Everything feels fast than the others, which is great, and the new worlds are massive. I'm even enjoying the Spirit system it has instead of Donald and Goofy. If it continues how it's going I can see it being my second favourite in the series (so far), and I can't wait to play it again tomorrow.

Dream Drop Distance finished and I can easily say it’s my second favourite Kingdom Hearts game. 

The worlds are huge, and although Riku and Sora visit the same worlds they visit different areas (similar to Birth By Sleep, but more varied).

Combat was great. I enjoyed the Flowmotion attacks and the Reality Shift finishers were mostly always fun. Didn’t really take advantage of the Spirits as much as I should have. They were fun, but something I really need to look into for next playthrough.

Story was crazy, but when it all came together at the end it made sense, and it left lots of questions open for KH III to answer. Also make sure you get the secret ending or the beginning of 0.2 will make no sense. 

Also finished Birth By Sleep 0.2. Was a cute two and half hours of set up for a major plot point of KH III. Will be playing through it again today on stream for a couple hours to finish off my KH stream marathon. 

Now I just have to wait 5 days to see how it all comes together. In the meantime I think I’ll redownload KH Union X.

I  am trying to play DDD but finding it annoying cause it has this timer that counts down all the time and forces you to switch to a different character. This can happen on boss fights and throw away your progress. ?

Not to just harp on that one really annoying negative, the game looks great and feels snooth except during the Tron level where I kept getting caught on grind rails all the time

It's also got this dope cinematic which feels more like hype building for KHIII than anything to do with this game

I still find myself getting thrown out too often. I'm right at the end now anyway I think, that guy with the coat was a bitch using Riku. These games are brutal for stunlocking you to death. I think KHII didn't have this problem.

I'm right at the end of my keyblade odyssey but I don't feel much stronger in my ability to discern wtf is happening.

Spoiler

On last count there are now 15 and a half Xehanorts travelling through time conspiring with their own selves to make more of themselves.

Surely Ansem is literally the original Xehanort cause he is Xehanort possessing the body of Terra. Or is that just how he makes his horcrux slaves

Also not super keen on how they bring back every dead character ever. I don't know how they came back, I think it was explained in that recodes thin

But that Fantasia world sure was lovely huh. The way they replaced your weapon sounds with cymbals and harps. The scale of the environments is up there with KHII. Except for that shitty Tron level.

I just want to add also, I hope Kingdom Hearts III doesn't have a "command deck". It was fine in CoM as your deck was the only thing that mattered in a fight but in BBS and DDD it only serves to distract you from enemy attacks as your spending so much time looking at cool down meters on menu.

And with the best possible timing I am playing "0.2 Birth By Sleep: A Fragmentary Passage", the sort of Ground Zeroes prologue game to KHIII and also a mini sequel to BBS. This feels great, especially after playing shitty Birth By Sleep. It's very floaty but the movement is still good and animations looks beautiful and the spell effects are like an FFXV level of eye candy.

So I should have this beat right around the time the KHIII DRM unlocks on my preload which again wasn't something I planned. It must be the destiny written in the chronicles of the keyblade wars itself.