passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Bungie and Activision split - Bungie keep Destiny

DisturbedSwan

Bungie splits with Activision

Bungie and Activision are splitting up, an industry-shaking divorce that will see Destiny enter fully into Bungie’s control.

This development comes after years of tension between the two companies—tension that has existed since before the first Destiny even shipped. Bungie told employees during a team meeting this afternoon, framing it as fantastic news for a studio that has long grown sick of dealing with its publisher.

“We have enjoyed a successful eight-year run and would like to thank Activision for their partnership on Destiny,” Bungie said in a blog post today. “Looking ahead, we’re excited to announce plans for Activision to transfer publishing rights for Destiny to Bungie. With our remarkable Destiny community, we are ready to publish on our own, while Activision will increase their focus on owned IP projects.”

Destiny, which first launched in September 2014, has had a long and rocky road through expansions, updates, and a sequel. The most recent major entry in the franchise, Destiny 2: Forsaken, was beloved by players but failed to meet Activision’s sales standards.

Can only be a good thing. Activision are nothing but a bunch of greedy bastards. For example, “let’s lock Modern Warfare remastered behind the special editions of Infinite Warfare. Then lock away the dlc and sell it separately. Then add micro transactions to really screw it up”.

It's bad news for Activision. Having seen what's possibly going on over at Blizzard I think they might be due a brain drain. I don't think it'll be a case of a whole department fucking off like when Infinity Ward fucked off and went to work for EA under the guise of Respawn. They're probably going to get peppered across all divisions and be a lot weaker for it.

And you know what? Fuck 'em. Acti have been bad news for a long time. Not that I wish bad things on the creative people working for them, but as a company I wouldn't be sad if the talented people that have worked under their umbrella shit in the suits Cheerios. Acti have been full of bad consumer stuff for over a decade as of now. Quite frankly I couldn't give a fuck if they vanished from the gaming landscape. I don't think we'd lose anything important, if anything we'd get a load of new stuff that those talented people that work in the game mills churning out the same old shite year in year out as they're given a bit of free reign to work on new ideas.

If Blizz weren't so amalgamated into each other they should bail as well. They're too good for Acti but ultimately they've sealed their fate. 

I think it's more likely that it's a mutually beneficial divorce. Bungie don't like being interfered with, Activision weren't happy with how Destiny performed. You only have to see how hard they were giving the base game away on multiple platforms during the release of Forsaken to see how desperate things had gotten. And even then, Activision weren't happy with the sales numbers of Forsaken.

Activision aren’t happy with sales of anything they do. Black Ops 4 sold a shit load,and still they go “it performed under expectations”. Despite it selling at full price. And them always charging £30 at least for their fucking Season Passes. And pumping their games full of disgusting micro transactions. Then making progress slow to encourage people to pay to avoid the grind.

Fuck Activision. They’re easily as bad as EA,if not worse.

Activision are scum! But, aren’t Bungie the ones who wanted to implement Microtransactions in Destiny to start with? So expansions could be free? Until they decided to just charge for both to make all the money possible? I doubt it’ll change anything with how badly the business side of Destiny is handled to be honest. I’ve always thought game has always been meh anyway so doesn’t matter either way to me thankfully. 

It’s highly likely that Activision pushed them on micro transactions,as they’re company of wankers that always do that. 

Some may think that now,Destiny 3 will be free of micro transaction shite. That’s not guaranteed though, as they may decide they need the money.

6 hours ago, mfnick said:

But, aren’t Bungie the ones who wanted to implement Microtransactions in Destiny to start with?

Yes. They fucked up development of D2 and had no plan in place for any expansions. They couldn't release one in time (a whole year between Taken King and Rise if Iron) so proposed the Eververse to Activision to appease the hungry share holders. Activision like a big release along with DLC/annual pass thing every year. I don't see much changing between now and September. 

I personally am happy for Bungie. I do have reservations about them on the publishing side. They're a big company and make plenty of fuck ups. Hence the affectionate nickname 'Bungo' or 'Bungle'. 

Depends how the competition do as to whether Eververse disappears IMO. They'll all be making extra on the side somehow and competitiondrives change. D3 is well into development. I do expect their to be smaller or less frequent drops. Vicarious Visions and High Moon has also been helping out recently which now won't be the case. Bungie maymay end up with another publisher. Early days.