passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Black Mirror : Bandersnatch

shinymcshine

6 hours ago, shinymcshine said:

So you basically just want a game, not a TV drama driven by your choices and their consequence?

The whole thing is about the illusion of choice and consequence, and relationship between Player and Protagonist. I don’t get why you’re getting so hung up on the ‘TV Drama’ thing. Charlie Brooker - the creator of Black Mirror - is a huge gamer, he essentially created a 90 minute game on Netflix that just happens to be an amazing drama too.

If you don’t go through it and get all the endings you won’t get the full picture and your ‘TV Drama’ will be left incomplete and unfulfilled. It is the creators’ intent for you to go back through every choice to be able to piece all the pieces of puzzle together and get a whole, you’ll be left with pieces missing otherwise.

The easiest game comparison I can make is Nier: Automata. You don’t stop playing that game when you finish it once and get the A ending, you’ve got to go through it another 3-4 times to get the B, C, D and E endings to get the full picture of everything that has happened.

But Nier has a single throughline. A message embedded within the story. Bandersnatch has its message embedded outside of the story and more within the story-telling form it chooses to use (CYOA), which means you really don't need to complete it if you notice the pattern after a couple endings.

The message to this as you say is illusion of free will but implied by that same message is the idea that someone like me can say "fuck this shit" and walk away because I have a poor relationship with what's going on on the screen

I had a whole post written up on this actually but deleted it cause I wanted to stop being the guy who posts the most and the most negatively on a thing on a topic. But I guess here too free will is an illusion init.

I don’t know what it is you’re all talking about but I’m pretty certain I don’t care about it and it is some more millennial nonsense. I didn’t even see this thread until I was mentioned.

Input complete. I will be reading about the X-Men if anyone needs me. 

Blakey - I'm not hung up on the whole TV drama. I'm fully aware of Charlie Brooker's link to gaming and the themes of Black Mirror.

Hence acknowledging that there's plenty of games which branch and allow you multiple playthroughs to see multiple endings if that's what you want,  I thought that it was a missed opportunity to present something rather unique, where you just got one shot to mould the story based on your choices.

--------

Albeit - it'd be much 'easier' if I just rewound, took a different path, agreed with the majority and said it was great and I that loved the multiple endings etc.........

I’m not saying you have to think it was great @shinymcshine if you didn’t rate it you didn’t rate it, that’s fair enough. :)

I didnt rewind at all though. At the end of a path it does a quick flashback of previous events then puts you back at a key decision moment where you can make a different choice. 

Watched this the other day with a mate. Enjoyed it, but it’s not as dark as I like Black Mirror to be.

I think we got all the endings - it’s clear that it’s more like Stanley Parable than Mass Effect. Rather than it being, “this is how your story plays out”, it feels more like it wants you to go back and re-do your choices to get all of the endings.

I hope it’s something Netflix do more of, but I prefer Black Mirror in a more linear narrative and with something that makes me want to throw away all my technology when it’s finished.

Finished it. Think it caught most of it in the end. It's very clever and excellently pulled off, but it's made me feel a bit funky now. 

Spoiler

I felt genuinely bad for sending the young version on the train with his mum. After that it wouldn't let me do anything else.

The Netflix path is pretty clever.