passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Castlevania

illdog

I’ve been playing a lot of the original Castlevania of late. It holds a lot of nostalgia for me as it was one of the first few games I got and I loved it as a kid.

So I’m pretty sure I got my NES in June 89 as a birthday present and I got Castlevania for Christmas that year.

I was never able to get past Level 5 as a kid. Getting to the boss, Death, was a mission in itself but getting to him and beating him was an impossible task for a 10/11 year old me.

Fast forward exactly 29 years to the day and I finally beat him legit. I’ve beaten him using save states before but I’ve never beat him hardcore original style, as in dying tons, having to restart from the beginning of the level every time you use a continue and just actually getting good. I’ve always used boomerangs on Death as he spawns multiple sickles and the boomerangs help clear them but on this occasion, on my triumphant attempt, I got to him with pretty much full health and triple fire potions. After a rocky start I managed to keep him right in front of me and spammed those potions with all my might. I was chuffed as a bollock when he died.

I'm playing in the 3DS VC so the one bonus is I can save state at the very beginng of a stage so as not to have to play the whole game again each time I finish a play session like when I was a boy. I’d like to get good enough to be able to run through in a single play session, that’s the plan anyway.

In the meantime I’m on Stage 6 legit for the first time ever so it’s off to practice that bullshit.