passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Darksiders 3

DisturbedSwan

Started this today as it's included with Origin Access Premier, put in around 3 hours.

I really didn't know what to expect going in really. I absolutely adored the original Darksiders but couldn't play more than an hour of Darksiders 2 without throwing in the towel (I will possibly return to it at some point), it just felt too much of a departure from the OG Darksiders formula that I adored.

So here we are at Darksiders 3. Another slight rejigging of the original Darksiders formula, this time doing away with the grandiosity of 2 and some of the more Zelda-esque elements of 1 for a Darksiders-Souls-like if you will. The combat feels a bit more free-flowing compared to the other games with Fury's whip dishing out some incredibly satisfying combos but the level designs are much more claustrophobic, metroidvania and Soulsy with enemies placements and how they can ambush you and punish you, little shortcuts you can unlock and boss/mini-boss battles you can take on if you choose. The difficulty so far far exceeds anything found in the previous games, I've died a hell of a lot and most enemies you've got to be wary of and plan accordingly or you're going to go down real quick, dealing with crowds can be very difficult too and they can wipe you out in seconds if you're not careful.

The boss battles are a real treat here too. I've only had two so far - against Envy and Wrath - but they were real spectacles and an absolute joy to play through with the latter being way more difficult than I expected. Getting the dodge timing right to dodge a boss' attack at the last second to enable a Bayonetta-like bullet-time effect just feels amazing when you pull it off.

I've warmed to Fury already as well. Death was a little too moody and monotone for me (again, admittedly I didn't spend that much time with him) in D2 but Fury has been a real delight. She's sassy and an absolute badass that doesn't take any shit from anyone, I love the little banter between her and the Watcher too as they're traversing through levels. The story though I've already kind of tuned out of, I do remember a few familiar faces from D1 and the brief amount of D2 I played and it was cool seeing War again but I kind of don't care already. 

Admittedly it's not a huge budget AAA title, but I have been incredibly impressed with the performance of it on my PC as well. I've got everything bumped up to Ultra in the settings and it has run buttery smooth with no technical issues whatsoever at 1440p/60fps, it is quite the looker at times too with the lighting being a particular highlight. 

So yeah, so far so good. The combat feels fantastic, the level design is engaging and Fury is a joy to spend time with, I couldn't put it down.

Spoiler

Desktop Screenshot 2018.12.22 - 17.32.25.46.pngDesktop Screenshot 2018.12.22 - 17.07.43.70.pngDesktop Screenshot 2018.12.22 - 17.09.01.24.pngDesktop Screenshot 2018.12.22 - 18.05.42.98.pngDesktop Screenshot 2018.12.22 - 17.45.05.20.pngDesktop Screenshot 2018.12.22 - 17.14.19.07.png

Desktop Screenshot 2018.12.22 - 17.37.18.16.png

Desktop Screenshot 2018.12.22 - 18.19.19.90.png

Desktop Screenshot 2018.12.22 - 18.22.18.70.png

I think this is a ‘pick up for a tenner’ game for me. I still need to finish/play the first two ? I’ve started DS1 about 3 times but always put it down. I’ll get through them in 2019 for sure though, I might even stream them. 

Yeah, I was also a fan of the original.  I think it successfully jammed together the bits I like of games I like. 

The sequel I thought jammed too much more mechanics in and made it more unwieldy and had stuff I just didn't care about, like it's loot system. 

I'm disappointed that this has turned out the way it has as I was glad when I heard they were stripping stuff out as I thought it would make it more like the original but they may have stripped out too much. 

But I do want to play it.  I hope they still commit to a fourth game but it seems like they're not getting the resources they need to do them justice. 

• 1 year later...

@DisturbedSwanbit late but did you put more time into this? &what did you end up thinking about it?

Its leaving Game Pass soon so thought I’d give it a go. I’m quite enjoying it so far, only played about a hour or so but seems good but unremarkable. Don’t know whether it’s worth sticking with and possibly buying before it leaves Game Pass or pick up a cheap physical copy. 

The load times when you die are a motherfucker too. May have to wait till I get a Series X if I die more often just because it takes so long. 

No worries. I’ve played a bit more since and got 2 of the Hollow abilities and weapons now. Liking the way it gives you extra abilities like a Metroid game & so far has naturally been taking me back to areas where I need them rather than just trying to remember where to go. 

Enjoying it more as I go on, really surprised by it. Combat is properly enjoyable. 

Decided to buy it since it’s leaving tomorrow and I want to play it through now. 
Speaking of which. Just been reminded why I would never get a all digital console. £45 on Xbox store!! That’s even with the game pass discount. Bought it brand new for £10 on eBay. Ridiculous. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got copy through. Already quite rusty and got battered a bit, but got back into it relatively quickly.

Just defeated Lust, great cut scene leading up to it. Got my 3rd hollow, really opened things up now. Got a cool looking Metroid style ball thing ability too that sticks you to certain walls. 

Im liking the character interactions more and more, really enjoy how they all mug Fury off made me laugh a few times. It’s honestly surprising how well they’re developing and growing her. It’s not too tier but appreciated and just nicely done. 

I played through this during early quarantine in March/April and really enjoyed it throughout. On standard mode the combat was a bit too methodical for my taste but on classic, which allows you to cancel moves with a dodge, it really felt good to play. Add to that some of those classic Metroid elements/upgrades and it was just a nice mix overall. I just wish they had had the time to finetune it a bit more because the moment you go away from the main path to explore a bit on the side the game just keeps freezing while it's loading the rest of the level. I wonder if that's still a thing if played on PS5/Series.

Regardless, very good game. I haven't played Genesis yet but among the three mainline games this was my favourite of the bunch. Fury's also a really cool character with a bit more nuance to her than the stoic War and "Mister Edgelord" Death.

33 minutes ago, Maryokutai said:

standard mode the combat was a bit too methodical for my taste but on classic, which allows you to cancel moves with a dodge, it really felt good to play.

Interesting to hear that. I’m on standard and really enjoying the methodical nature of it actually. Bit good to read it plays just as well in classic mode. I may give it a quick blast in that just to see how it feels. 

It’s a great game, really underrated IMO. 

Standard didn't really click with me. Maybe it was a mindset thing but I switched around after reaching the first boss and never went back.

It's less challenging on Classic of course but due the insane damage some enemies dish out you still have to be careful. In any case I think it's a good compromise that you can choose it at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve just defeated Gluttony. By far the most challenging boss so far. Cool how it makes you use the various Hollow abilities to defeat it. Just unlocked the final hollow ability so everything is opened up to be explored now. Will be gutted when this ends, can’t be far off. 

Finished today. Brilliant game, a true underrated gem of this generation. 

A Souls like game without the bullshit mixed with a sprinkle of Metroid. The characters and story were far better than expected too. 

Highly recommended. 

I was put off for that same reason. I only gave it a chance because it was on Game Pass, then bought a copy when they removed it as I was enjoying it so much. Glad I did. 
Tempted to try on the harder difficulty, especially since it does NG+ and you keep all your stat upgrades.

• 8 months later...

So this is coming to Switch next month: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/08/darksiders_iii_is_coming_to_switch_and_it_launches_next_month

Will be really interesting to see how they solved the streaming issues on a platform significantly less powerful than PS4 and Xbox One. If it's not a complete trainwreck though I'm going to pick it up for the collection, I already have 1&2 for Switch as well.

• 1 month later...

Turns out it's more or less the same deal as on other platforms, i.e. some streaming issues, some framerate hiccups. Plus obviously the expected downgrade in terms of visual fidelity:

Still way better than I expected to be honest, considering how poorly it was optimised for Xbox One and PS4.