passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Frostpunk

DANGERMAN

For some reason I got it in to my head that this has more direct control in it, but it's more Oregan Trail, resource management. Not my sort of game really so I sort of regret buying it, but I'm going to stick with it a bit 

The problem is its difficult all the time. I was expecting it to ease me in, but within an hour I'm having to go without stuff to try to stockpile coal because I can see a cold snap coming. To do that I need to prioritise technology that makes coal use more efficient, makes heating more effective. Problem is my population want things like medical tents and food. 

In terms of resources, you need coal for your generator, wood and steel for buildings, I had a decent amount of steel so I've stopped collecting that in favour of wood and coal, then I got loads of wood from an expedition so have moved my people off that too to try to stockpile coal. Your civilians are a resource too, a resource that gets sick all the time and moans about everything. You can't have all of them collecting coal and wood, you'll need some to hunt at night for raw food, to work in the cook house to make meals for everyone, and to man the medical tents 

While your doing this you also have to manage happiness and discontent, people being cold and hungry isn't good, and they'll set you tasks such as heating the tents, do that discontent decreases, miss it by 5 minutes like I did and there's a huge spike. I also lost a day to not understanding how the scouts worked, but they've brought back workers, food and wood so they're pulling their weight so far 

• 1 year later...

This game is very relaxing and not stressful so far.

This was my first attempt. Day 1, third of my city died in their sleep. oops.

fuck.png

On my second attempt I am right in the middle of a -40C cold snap and I need to go send people out into the cold to die to gather some wood, so I'm taking a break from the game for the time being lol

sad2.png

Only now I notice that my city is vaguely shaping into a Swastika. ?

Anyway time to introduce some child labour laws, fuckers got to contribute

Screen_09-02-2020_15-10-42.png

• 1 year later...

So I've been play this a bit lately.  I think it's a cool game but its stressful.  Just because every thing you do pisses someone off.

I keep starting again and once tried to play optimally and being mostly sympathetic to the people but that meant heavy resources to healthcare, which I of course agree to due to the conditions the game is set in, and pass laws to accommodate it.

But I don't think it's impossible for growth doing that route.  If you try to keep everyone happy immediately you'll end up failing.  I keep starting again seeing how different possibilities end up but I can see a kind of utopia is possible in this game.

But I did hate it when I was maintaining a zero discontent and an 80% hope run and some guy turned up and said he came from the outside and said everyone is dead we're the last so hope dropped 60% and discontent raised 40% and got a bunch of activists who wanted to back to London (so a death cult in the context of this game) and I couldn't fix it.

But this actually makes me wanna keep playing.  With games like this I usually think the politics of the creators obviously inspire the solution but credit here as they seem broad but not easy.  Any position you have bring up realistic obstacles.  This game seems to be cool at what it does so far.

The same devs what did this did 'This War of Mine', they seem to like these misery simulators. It's an interesting antidote to the whole mindset where most games have a 'correct' path where nothing goes wrong/pure paragon route. Making suboptimal decisions based on unanticipated outcomes/failures is something I wish games would do more of. Games shouldn't be afraid to exploit negative feelings sometimes, like movies and books do.

I did not stick with it though, there's a lot to work out in it but given how I hit it off with the Pathologic games I guess I should try it again

I've not played This War Is Mine.  I didn't know it was the same dev.  It's been on my list for years but I may go back to it now.

I do wonder if I could have dealt with the death cult sooner.  Because I was concentrating on using all my resources to make things right for the citizens and not exploring so I wonder if I explored outside more I'd have discovered things to counter that guy.  I guess it was an instance that discouraged playing too safe.

But I do wish you could undo laws.  It seems weird you can't.  Like put in a discontent increase and a 2 day in game cool down when you do.  Something like that.