passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Classic N64 Mini Thread

OCH

I had a lot of affection for the Original Beast itself. Although only rumoured at time of writing, it is however a virtual certainty. So lets chit chat. 

What would you like to see? From hardware improvements, both from it's namesake IE What to do about the Expansion Pak?? Meanwhile also addressing quality of life upgrades over the previous Classic Mini consoles. The controls would also be an interesting issue. The N64 controller gave us the Rumble Pak, the GB game thingy and the Memory card port. Now obviously the latter is redundant now, but the other two have potential applications. Naturally there is also the question of whether the Classic system should have Four Controller support and how many would come with it?

Lastly of course, the games you'd like to see. The Wish List. Naturally there was a reduction of the volume of titles from the NES Mini to the SNES Mini. Therefore if we spitball 20 games as an estimate. Bear in Mind some may be forever off-Limits due to licensing issues... But we're talking theoretical, so let your imagination run wild.

Didn’t this officially get shot down a couple weeks ago?

Either way. 

Mario 64

Mario Kart 64

TLoZ: Ocarina of Time

Diddy Kong Racing 

Yoshi’s Story

Goeman 64 or whatever it’s called

Lylat Wars

Fuck knows, there are so many good games.

I've always liked the oddities so prevalent on the system myself. Such as Space Station Silicon Valley, Body Harvest, Mischief Makers, Mystical Ninja, Fighters Destiny, Hybrid Heaven etc

Another thing to bear in mind, given a limit of 20 games, what ratio to have Multiplayer vs Single Player games.

Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Turok 1 & 2, Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, F-Zero, Smash Bros, Mario Party, PokéMon Colosseum  et al

To include all of those might limit the pool of Single Player games down to 5, at the most. Minus three for Mario 64 and the two Zeldas and what are you left with?

I do love the Castlevania 64 games.. More so Legacy of Darkness than the first one. I know a lot of "purists" often turn their noses up when the series first made the leap to 3D, but who cares? Embrace change or stay in the past and rot, whatever floats your boat.

1 minute ago, OCH said:

Embrace change or stay in the past and rot, whatever floats your boat.

WOW

I don’t think you get to say that Mr “I hate modern games with all their bells and whistles like online multiplayer and HD graphics” 

3 minutes ago, Maf said:

WOW

I don’t think you get to say that Mr “I hate modern games with all their bells and whistles like online multiplayer and HD graphics” 

giphy.gif

Different context, Maf. But that did almost make me spit out my drink, so kudos.

If this did happen,I’d pass. Lylat Wars was brilliant. So was Goldeneye,which would never get a port due to licensing. 

That’s about it for me. Mario 64 was massively overated,and is my least favourite in the ‘core’ series. I just found it boring,absolutely nowhere near as fun as Super Mario World. 

I always felt Banjo-Kazooie was much better than Mario 64, in every way. However, other than Donkey Kong 64, I don't really know where the other Rare titles would stand regarding a Classic Mini console. Ideally Nintendo would find some loophole that would enable the titles licensed to that console to exist on the Classic, but I doubt such a loophole exists.

I completely agree that Banjo was better than Mario 64.

My list would be something like:

• Space Station Silicon Valley
  • Diddy Kong Racing
  • Donkey Kong 64 (as I never played more than 30 minutes of it)
  • Mario Kart 64
  • Goldeneye 007
  • Perfect Dark
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Banjo-Tooie
  • Cruis’n USA
  • Cruis’n World
  • Conker’s Bad Fur Day
  • Snowboard Kids
  • VW Beetle Adventure
  • Wave Race
  • 1080 Snowboarding
  • WWF No Mercy
  • WWF Attitude

Oof, bad takes galore here.  Banjo isn't even as good as a lot of big PS1 platformers, never mind Mario 64.

The N64 version of Resident Evil 2 should be on as a technical marvel / piece of history. 

Same with Doom and Quake 64.

Sin & Punishment should definitely be on. 

I did forget about Sin And Punishment. Largely because I never even heard of it before the Wii game. The Banjo comment is just crazy talk, DC. Put down the bottle! :P

Never really been keen on Sports games, but I did adore 1080 Snowboarding. I even had a hat with it (a pre-order thing, perhaps?). It's a shame Nintendo didn't really keep 1080 and Wave Race series going with every successive Console release. I do recall a Wave Race sequel was released.. on something?