passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Granblue Fantasy News

HandsomeDead

Arc System Works Are Making ANOTHER Fighting Game

Arc System Works created their own unique take on cell-shaded '3D that looks like 2D' fighting game engines beginning with Guilty Gear Xrd which has since caught the attention of other developers / publishers and led to some collaborations like Dragon Ball FighterZ.

Cygames revealed at their Granblue Fes 2018 event in Japan that a new fighting game spin-off for the popular RPG is in development called Granblue Fantasy Versus, and its art style may look familiar to Guilty Gear players because it is being developed by Arc System Works.

Five characters from the RPG were shown off in Granblue Fantasy Versus' reveal trailer including Gran, Katalina, Charlotta, Lancelot and Ferry.

The title is described as "a brand new fighting game from the developers of Guilty Gear and BlazBlue, set in the world of Japan’s megahit RPG, Granblue Fantasy featuring original gameplay tailor-made to appeal to both Granblue and fighting game fans alike" according to its official website.

Its HUD and interface are not shown off in this first trailer, but the combat engine looks quite similar to the recent Guilty Gear titles with an emphasis on weapon-based fighting along with a variety of magical attacks.

Granblue Fantasy Versus is scheduled to release on the PlayStation 4 in 2019 for Japan though no other planned territories have been announced at this time.

Man, ArcSys just keep firing these things out.

I didn't know what Granblue was until, like, now; it's a popular mobile RPG in Japan, apparently.  It has an anime and everything.  

I kinda like how it looks, how it has a more detailed and sketchier look than their other games using this graphical technique.  And the gameplay looks slower paced and more grounded than ArcSys's other games.  This almost looks like it's their take on more mainstream fighters like Street Fighter.

I don't know if it'll come here since it is based on something only Big In Japan but who knows.  Maybe they'll have a global push some time.

I think I'm gonna turn this into a general Granblue Fantasy thread since there is the Platinum Games RPG coming in close proximity to this.  And speaking of which here is 15 minutes of gameplay footage:

It doesn't look staggering right now, though the boss fight at the end showed some cool looking team mechanics.  It reminded me a lot of a Xenoblade game at first but it does seem like you have more direct control, though not the level of their Nier game.

It looks okay.  Worth keeping an eye on maybe.

• 5 months later...

I think there have been a few character videos for this but this dude caught my attention. 

I think there is a beta coming soon so I'm looking forward to seeing how it actually plays.  It's Arc Sys so it'll very likely be good but I'm wondering what this game's hook will be. 

Looks bloody gorgeous, anyway. 

• 9 months later...