passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Mutant Year Zero : Road To Eden

Hendo

I'm quite far in now. I'm not sure quite how long the game is, it looks like I'm 1 zone away from my goal but I suspect that's not the end. I've got a side mission of sorts that I've left for now but will probably go back to now rather than push on in to the last parts of the story

The side mission:

Spoiler

there's an area in the south, it's empty as far as I can see apart from an old man stood outside a compound. Some raiders stole his key and now he's locked out, so you get asked to go to the next zone over and get it back. I'm pretty sure I could have struggled to beating the human enemies, with some trial and error, the reason I turned back though, as much as the bunched up enemies would have been an issue, it was the giant fucking robot that made the turn around

anyway, I've since fought one. I was going to say I fought it as part of the story, but you can avoid it. It does a huge AOE attack that you get some warning for but will kill you if you're anywhere near it. Anyway, the area I've just done has both taught me a lot and helped me improve my guns a little more, so I should be able to deal with that side mission

The main thing I've learned in the last few zones is how important it is, and how to, whittle down the enemy ranks without being heard. I've been using Dux's skull splitter attack to do critical damage (he's got a weapon perk that can burn too). The woman now has a double attack, which is a bit hit and miss but can do huge damage. Bormin goes last because he also has that double attack, but more importantly I've equipped him with a skill that can knock people over, meaning they miss a turn and, more importantly, can't alert anyone else. Then I've got a full turn, or two, to do enough damage to finish them off

what I will say, I've got a little tired of it. I'm still enjoying it, but every zone starts off as hard work until you break the back of it. Eventually you're just picking people off to make the final bunch or two as easy as possible, and that's when it's fun. The problem is it's hard work all the time, at any point the whole map could be alerted, you can miss shots even though you've got a 75% chance of landing, and that missed show can mean losing the battle, or at least reloading a save to learn from your mistakes

I'm assuming there's going to be some dlc or they're planning for a sequel because I've just finished the game and it sets up for more immediately. It's a shame you can't just continue too, there's a place on the map I didn't explore, and a couple of areas towards the end I just snuck through rather than face the more difficult machines, I wouldn't say no to using my more powerful weapons on them 

So yeah, explore before the end of the game I guess

I enjoyed Mutant Year Zero on the whole. It does get a bit tiring, it's the same gameplay loop over and over, but I enjoyed the final fight as much as I enjoyed the first. It's a shame the guns don't get more outlandish sooner, and that some of the currencies aren't more plentiful, or at least you could respec. Good game though, makes me want to pick up Frostpunk for something similar

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Despite having plans on playing through a few other games, me and a mate started this from scratch and largely passed the pad getting through most of it in a couple of days.

A few more missions left I think, but most of it is done.

We picked up a couple of new teammates to play as but really just stuck with the first 3.

We got stuck in the same place I originally stopped playing at (the ship with the first extra tough enemy) but after going back to clear out a couple of sections we avoided enemies on, we just tore through everything and we got really good at taking out a few enemies without getting spotted by the bulk of them.

It’s not always possible, but when it is, always advised to wipe out all the enemies you can like this.

Glad I went back to it.

• 2 months later...

Another thread ressurected as I've just started this on PS4.

Seems promising so far.

Update:

About 4 hrs played and hit the first real test. I've now got a party if 3 and the two ways I can reasonably go are seemingly tough fights, due to enemy numbers and the arrival of medibots on their team too. Time for a tactical rethink.

I went around picking up scrap from some of the earlier areas, went back to Eden and bought the pipe rifle, then headed back to the Fallen Angel area.

Stalked around picked of some outliers then went in:

Spoiler

Took out Pyro which created fire in the midst of enemies, then focussed on medibot (who went to revive Pyro. Once it was down I picked off the dogs and finally the Chief. Seemed to be some nice loot too, including a silenced weapon - which could be crucial, as most enemies need more than the current 2 silenced shots my team could previously do !

Levelled up a couple more times too.

Yeah, I gave everyone a silenced weapon. It is worth hunting round areas you've been to or haven't had a reason to yet. There's items that can help make things easier. 

There's the possibility of changing out characters too but I never bothered, I got used to, and built, my 3 characters and changing seemed counter productive 

House of Bones - quite a fun, but challenging area, having to stalk out and silently kill the outliers before moving in to the final group.

Spoiler

I ended with with just needing to take out the medibot, hunter, pyro and brother at the back of the school building. It took me a couple of goes to work out the best tactics, which were; take high ground above medibot  and hit it with EMP followed by stealth attacks (Inc high ground critical bonus). Then snuck to where the brother and hunter were, and stealth killed hunter, but it was always going to alert brother. Then concerntrated on pyro, whilst ensuring my party were spaced so brothers lightning didn't chain. Used Dux to cripple brother, then after taking out pyro, got Bormin to hog rush brother, then shot him up whilst he was paralysed.

Now got extra party member, but not sure whether I feel the need to use him, as yet (albeit puppeteer skill could be useful).

Now going back to Ark to rekit.

Has anyone tried Jagged Alliance:Rage (which came to PC & Consoles over the last year or so apparently)?

Itwas those JA games back on the PC way back that initially got me into the turn based action point genre, as they were a step forwards from the turn based SSI wargames.

There are times in some games where you find a great and effective way of doing things, but then question whether it's morally right or just a cheap scuzzy way to an easy win.

So I'll explain, I'm in the Scraplands area:

Spoiler

There's quite a few enemies around and some are of a level where I can't take the down in a single round with silent weapons, so they'll alert their mates if I try. So I thought, well can I lure them away to a nice quiet spot, using the newly acquired mind control skill, then butcher them in a quiet spot.

Well, yes I can.

It doesn't allow 'friendly fire' so you have to wait until the control has ceased before cruelly murdering them, and as soon as they become active, a nice hit of hog rush disables them, so I can shoot their poor defenceless body, but it seems really effective, almost a bit too OP and game breaking.

or is it just a well thought out and laudable tactic.....??

I mean it's not as 'cheap' as the whistle and steath kill tactic that worked so well in Mafia 3 (where the AI never questioned the growing pile of bodies in the doorway, or why their mate never returned from venturing that way.....)

Whilst I'm really enjoying this I am a bit surprised that the difficulty hasn't really increased as my party has improved - in the early levels it was vital to sneak around and pick off isolated targets to reduce enemy numbers - whereas now, once the medibot is out of the way (EMP grenade, and silent kill) I can just bluster through the rest fairly comfortably, using a combination of mutant skills and firepower (with mind control on tanks/shamans nullifing their specials).

My party have just hit Lv40, as I often take the more circuitous route to my prime goal, going back to earlier areas and previous "red zones" to explore.

Spoiler

I also smashed a couple of huge mech robots in different areas, thought they looked much tougher than they actually turned out to be !

Still, the combat and exploration focus of this appeals to me more than the 'bloat' of the XCom games with their irksome base building sections.

• 9 months later...

I wish they would give a bit more notice on Game Pass when games are leaving.
Knew it was leaving so gave it a go a few days ago and really enjoying it. I’ve just saved

Spoiler

Hammond  

whos told me where Eden is. Don’t know how far away from the end I am but gutted I’m not going to be able to finish it now. It’s still just a bit too pricey for me to take the plunge on. As much as I’m enjoying it, it is repetitive and the sneaking around to thin the numbers before going into a full blown battle can get a bit tiresome but it’s still a great game overall. It’s also reminded me I do like picking loot up in games when it’s a lot more sparse and is actually meaningful.  

Great game if you like X Com it’s definitely worth a go. Just expect it to be a bit slower. Overwatch is nowhere near as useful either so dont rely on it too much!