passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Mutant Year Zero : Road To Eden

Hendo

I’ve been keeping an eye on this as I’ve loved the look of it. Anything with an anthropomorphic duck is already a winner.

It’s basically a free-flowing X-Com. You move about the land finding loot and you can either sneak past enemies or engage in them using the X-Com battle system.

It’s based off a table top game but this is the first I’ve heard of it. The setting is post apocalypse but all the humans are long since dead and referred to as “the ancients” and you play as mutants.

I’m only early in so there’s two in my squad but I know you get at least 3 of you roaming around the battlefield at some point.

It’s good so far but meant to be very hard so I went for the easiest setting as I’ll probably never finish it regardless.

The GB quick look sold it to me, but I got it via GamePass either way.

It's fucking hard even on the easiest difficulty!

I've got a third team member but I'm stuck on a battle at the moment. There's an enemy type that calls in reinforcements, which is obviously one you want to take out as soon as possible, if not straight away. And a healer that I think can completely resurrect dead enemies.

I probably should go back to the base and buy some new stuff first but I think I'm where I should be.

I'm enjoying what I've played so far (playing on PC), it's not been too difficult yet, but I've heeded the advice to start on normal and to scout around before starting fights. This being said, I've only just returned back to town for the first time so I've basically managed to not die during the tutorial, go me. you can see already that you really silent weapons, I've only got the one still

I got to what I assume is a boss fight. A high powered mother fucker who buffs other enemies and I just can’t take them down.

I did go back to base though and have more silent weapons, plus more health and abilities and upgraded some of the weapons.

I’m really enjoying it but even on the easiest difficulty it still spanks you into next week.

Yeah, I've stopped for the night. I've got 3 characters now and tried exploring, but the enemies are too bunched up, and too strong, so I'll have to leave those ones. I think I'll head back to town tomorrow and try to pick up a 3rd silenced weapon and power someone up

I might be have imagined him saying it, I've just rewatched the start of the quick look. 

I'm really enjoying this, I've put a decent amount of time in to it today, I'm in the north in a snow area to rescue someone. The issue I'm having at the minute is not understanding what governs being heard. I now know that if you kill someone with your silenced weapons, so long as you don't break cover, even if they're with other enemies they won't react 

However, I've got in to fights with enemies away from groups, had to use a louder gun, and people have heard. The specific bit I'm on (a school) the guy in the next room heard, a medbot across the map heard and came over, and it looked like a large group heard too but they either shrugged it off or are rooted to a specific spot for story reasons, because they didn't come over and I ended the fight when I killed the medbot 

1 hour ago, DANGERMAN said:

I now know that if you kill someone with your silenced weapons, so long as you don't break cover, even if they're with other enemies they won't react 

I think that you're fine as long as the body doesn't drop in the other guy's circle of view.

I've unlocked a 4th character now, you can only use 3 in battle though. They're the first character that's felt really different, Borman is a bit more like a tank I guess but the other two I use interchangeably. On paper the worst character is probably Dux (Dex?) but he's my go to, I might have to bite the bullet and drop him though, I want to turn him in to a sniper but he has a habit of missing 75% shots

Famous last words but I've not been beaten on the mainline route yet, I did take a detour to a crashed plane where I got fucked up and reloaded, even that was partly my fault. I'm playing on normal, I've been quick travelling back to town a decent amount to improve my guns. The shop is shit, I've ended up buying the pipe rifle she has just in the hopes she replaces it with something better 

It really pays off to get enemies on their own, try to reduce numbers. My last fight was against 3 enemies, all stronger than me, but I managed to take the pyro guy out in the first turn, then had to move 2 people to high ground so they didn't get flanked, which meant they were harder to hit and could get crits on the lead enemy, with Borman on the ground shotgunning him in the face, while his minion had gone the long way around. 

The boat area looks a nightmare when you get to it. If you can get behind the group you can pick a couple of people off without alerting anyone. Once they're done it seems to trigger a route change for some of the main group so you can whittle them down too 

The boat area is where I got to, so seeing as I haven’t got a fourth character, maybe I went to the wrong place. The quest line says to go to the top north which also suggests it’s a much higher level than my crew, so I’m not sure where I should be going.

@Hendo no the 4th character is after that, you're in the right area. The boat area needs you to save a lot and try to avoid the middle group. If you head to the right of them (there's some steps leading to a cabin) there's enough gap behind their alert ring to get a single character at a time behind them, then 2 enemies who can be taken out on their own if you get the time right (you can then take out one of the people at the cabin from where you are with the high ground if you get lucky too)

@Hendo  I've posted a video below of how I did it (there's no enemies left so its just me walking the route)

Also, at this point you should be able to go to Fallen Angel. There's a massive group of enemies BUT they're all low level. There's a couple milling around that can be taken out on their own, make sure you scout because there's enough of them that this could go bad.  The main group don't move, there's a medbot behind them, I couldn't take that out without alerting the main group, so I took a shot at him, took out a marauder with 5hp, then ran Bormin up to the bot to do damage (I've got a powerful shotgun at this point, can't remember where I got it though). I didn't use a grenade, but it might be worth chucking a couple to deal with the 2 dogs, and possibly the marauder if it's within range, so characters would kill 3 enemies, then focus on the medbot

It's worth doing though because they're guarding a 3rd silenced weapon. It's piss weak but it does at least mean I can do damage with 3 people without getting caught

I think my save came after I took out the two by the cabin, so I don't need to worry about them. When I took them out, I think one of them from the boat ran over so there's at least 3 from that section dead. When I last attempted it, I ended up in the boat on the floor, with the boss surrounded me with the other boat guys and basically just got thrashed. 

I will definitely take those tips on board, cheers!

Are you meant to clear out that area first or just get to the exit and come back later on to finish them?

I beat them before moving on. I figure, there's no way to grind in this game, so unless there's a skull level enemy (which does happen, there's some level 35 dogs where I am atm) I take them all out for the scrap, chests and xp. Dodging them is just making your life more difficult later on

After my previous post... There's a zone a little later on full of robots. I can't do enough damage to them silenced to kill any individual one, and there's so many that going loud is asking to be murdered, so I might just dodge them 

The stupid thing is, I've been exploring elsewhere so I'm level 31, technically above what I need to be. However, the levels don't mean anything, they're just currency for the skill tree. More important is armour and weapon parts to improve your guns. Being able to do and take more damage is the only thing that feels like it matters

I’m really liking the sound of this. Combined with Below and Ashen this might be the trio I need to get me Gamepass. I don’t want to buy any of them straight away in case I don’t like them, but I really want to try all 3