Sign in to follow this  
Sly Reflex

Earth Defense Force 5

Finished the last few levels with Sly last night. Mission 111 is sublime. Absolutely sublime.

Just an exercise in absolute ridiculousness and something not many games would try, never mind get away with!

We were going to start on Hard mode, and got through the level I was annihilated on last time round, but I feel rotten at the minute so just didn't have the energy for it. 

CONGRATULATIONS!

Those last few levels are insanity. When I say insanity, I mean both at what it's throwing at you and what's happening with the story.

I'm really looking forwards to the difficulty being like that on all the missions we do. It turns from shoot all of the things to shoot the things that are a priority and approach the level differently as you would before because if you don't you're going to get smothered and the whole thing will go south.

Played on a bit after you went @regemond. In one mission I think we were running a scorched earth policy. 3 Air Raiders all using Phobos. Fuck the invaders, fuck the city and most importantly fuck the framerate.

Starting to ramp up now. Amid the difficulty jump and friendly fire we both ended up eating shit a few times.

It's all kinds of glorious when you're tightrope walking far out over the precipice, for me I'm still able to play really recklessly being hand to mouth on heals, but I know at some point sailing so close to the edge is going to cost us eventually. 

By the end of hard I think that will have stopped. We know what's coming and the severity us only going to get harsher as we continue. 

Yeah it's really cool seeing the fact you've actually got to think about what weapons to bring in now to compliment each other, and the fact you can't just gung ho it anymore.

You've got to flank, you've got to pull enemies out of the crowd, you've actually got to work together instead of just going off and doing your own thing.

I like how focused it could be last night. The bit with the walking fortress, when those frogs dropped down we just ripped them apart like it was nothing, it was very coordinated, one person couldn't have done that but when you've concentrated fire coming from all sides odds that looked terrible to begin with become more manageable.

On the other side we had that mission where you have the 3 UFO's dropping shit and then the queens show up and every player is pinging stuff asking for help and it's like "I fucking can't, I've got my own issues here and if I don't deal with them right now you're going to have to deal with them on top of what you're dealing with already". Those enemies come through and they wreck plans depending on where they decide to attack. You can end up getting pinched, and while you're going to spend most of the game trying to escape certain situations like that there's some where you just have to roll with it and keep fighting. The longer you stay alive and more distraction you cause the more the other players can get on top of it.

I bashed through the DLC on this this afternoon. 

DLC1 is really fucking hard. Like really fucking hard. I was playing on normal with no armour cap and Inferno weapons. I dipped into the red a few times, so it's going to be excruciatingly difficult playing with limits on. There's some really cool levels though.

DLC2 is even harder. I actually died in these levels. On normal with inferno weapons.Quite how anyone is meant to beat these levels on Inferno mode is beyond me. There's parts where it just combined the hardest levels from the base game and then makes you deal with them all in one hit.

Silver spiders for days. I levelled up so much because of those. Wasn't even really going out of my way to farm them but I put a good few hundred points of armour on across the two packs.

Mission 99. "Be careful that one can destroy a whole city on its own!"

That's nothing, I've been destroying cities on my own since I started the game. Where's my warning?