passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Earth Defense Force 5

Sly Reflex

Finished the last few levels with Sly last night. Mission 111 is sublime. Absolutely sublime.

Just an exercise in absolute ridiculousness and something not many games would try, never mind get away with!

We were going to start on Hard mode, and got through the level I was annihilated on last time round, but I feel rotten at the minute so just didn't have the energy for it. 

CONGRATULATIONS!

Those last few levels are insanity. When I say insanity, I mean both at what it's throwing at you and what's happening with the story.

I'm really looking forwards to the difficulty being like that on all the missions we do. It turns from shoot all of the things to shoot the things that are a priority and approach the level differently as you would before because if you don't you're going to get smothered and the whole thing will go south.

Starting to ramp up now. Amid the difficulty jump and friendly fire we both ended up eating shit a few times.

It's all kinds of glorious when you're tightrope walking far out over the precipice, for me I'm still able to play really recklessly being hand to mouth on heals, but I know at some point sailing so close to the edge is going to cost us eventually. 

By the end of hard I think that will have stopped. We know what's coming and the severity us only going to get harsher as we continue. 

Yeah it's really cool seeing the fact you've actually got to think about what weapons to bring in now to compliment each other, and the fact you can't just gung ho it anymore.

You've got to flank, you've got to pull enemies out of the crowd, you've actually got to work together instead of just going off and doing your own thing.

I like how focused it could be last night. The bit with the walking fortress, when those frogs dropped down we just ripped them apart like it was nothing, it was very coordinated, one person couldn't have done that but when you've concentrated fire coming from all sides odds that looked terrible to begin with become more manageable.

On the other side we had that mission where you have the 3 UFO's dropping shit and then the queens show up and every player is pinging stuff asking for help and it's like "I fucking can't, I've got my own issues here and if I don't deal with them right now you're going to have to deal with them on top of what you're dealing with already". Those enemies come through and they wreck plans depending on where they decide to attack. You can end up getting pinched, and while you're going to spend most of the game trying to escape certain situations like that there's some where you just have to roll with it and keep fighting. The longer you stay alive and more distraction you cause the more the other players can get on top of it.

I bashed through the DLC on this this afternoon. 

DLC1 is really fucking hard. Like really fucking hard. I was playing on normal with no armour cap and Inferno weapons. I dipped into the red a few times, so it's going to be excruciatingly difficult playing with limits on. There's some really cool levels though.

DLC2 is even harder. I actually died in these levels. On normal with inferno weapons.Quite how anyone is meant to beat these levels on Inferno mode is beyond me. There's parts where it just combined the hardest levels from the base game and then makes you deal with them all in one hit.

Silver spiders for days. I levelled up so much because of those. Wasn't even really going out of my way to farm them but I put a good few hundred points of armour on across the two packs.

Me and @Sly Reflex beat this last night on normal. Fucking hell - that's how you end a game.

Spoilers for the last two missions:

Spoiler

So, the second from last mission has you fighting the UFO that's the size of a town that's been looming menacingly for the best part of the game. You crack through the first few defences and all hell breaks loose. Lasers everywhere - my screen was frequently a solid wash of pink through the amount of stuff firing at you. You take the thing down and a shape takes form in the skies above. Random voiceover lady asks "Is that........God?"

Which takes you to the last level. I've done many crazy things in all my years gaming . Taking off God's legs with a shotgun is a new one. He then goes full on Neon Genesis Evangelion as a neon mandala appears behind his back and he starts summoning huge chunks of earth and lobbing them at you. His legs respawn, you blast them off again. That's for creating moths you twisted bastard.

I've seen it a few times now and it's always a spectacle. The radio chatter in the final mission is hilarious as well, people tend to miss a lot of it because they're battling the final boss, but go back and listen to it if you get chance. The Commander losing his shit gets me every time.

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is definitely my switch off game at the minute. I'm having a hell of a lot of fun every time I play as the challenge ramps up.

I'm about half way through Hard Mode with @Sly Reflex and @Whiskey_chaser, and we seem to work quite well together, splitting off where we need to and coming back together when it gets a little hairy. I've even noticed a couple of instances of flanking, which when it works just seems to absolutely rape any enemies.

For someone that doesn't play games online very often, I can quite confidently say this just wouldn't work if I went through it in single player. Looking forward to bumping up to the next difficulty, and to getting at least comfortable with characters other than the Ranger. Now I just need to find the time to do it...

6 minutes ago, Nag said:

Quit all the shagging, I know your on the honeymoon period and probably at it like rabbits but seriously, make some time for other things.?

Ha! I wish it was just that - I'm just loaded up socially at the minute. Between trying to look after one of my mates, looking after my kid half the time, AND spending time with the girlfriend on top of that, it's just tough getting decent time to get a game of ANYTHING in.

Plus I work 7.30-5.45 Tues-Fri. Mondays are always with little dude too, so I can't even get on a console then.

So yeah. Busy life right now. I'm sure it'll all settle again when I can change my hours in September.

That was more of a rant than I expected...

Me, @regemond and @Sly Reflex are around the half way mark on hard now. There was a great moment last night where we were fighting a new drone ship that was pretty tough. Everyone was tooled up with missile launchers that homed in with 40 odd rockets each that was pretty spectacular to watch. Just a shame our random dude never joined in with any of the singing.

Things will step up when we go into hardest.Everything is notably more aggressive and throws out more damage with more regularity. I can see us getting caught out a lot more than we're getting now. Fucking up now results in a bit of health missing. Fucking up on the next step up results in death. As Ranger players you're going to get hit, arguably Hardest is harder than Inferno because by the time you get there all the limits will be off. If you can make it through the majority of Hardest, you'll be set for all the knobs to go up to 11 when Inferno eventually comes knocking.

• 2 weeks later...

Did a bit of Hardest tonight. Yep, it's tough. I like how they remix and extend missions as well. Enjoying fighting the queens underground? Here' have 200 greens shoved up your arse and see how you like that. Keeps you on your toes.

There was one moment where I was needing a piss break and I finished the mission, went to put the controller down and it dropped another anchor on me. It started spewing mutants out as well, which was less than pleasant.

Honestly I didn't think those anchors were ever going to get destroyed @Whiskey_chaser. There was a moment I thought the game had glitched out.

EDIT: So I hit my 60% tonight. No Limits start at 70%. Whiskey got his 15% tonight, which means you get 5% for completing each difficulty.

I need to make another 9.5% out of the 800-ish levels I've not played yet. That should be really easy. What I'm suggesting is this. When we move onto Hardest, if we hit something we can't do, we skip it. We either jump the level or we drop back down and do it with other classes for me. The former will allow us to make progress into the difficulty, but the latter will allow me to cream some completion, and you two some armour if you decide to go with it.

What do you think?

8 hours ago, Sly Reflex said:

What I'm suggesting is this. When we move onto Hardest, if we hit something we can't do, we skip it. We either jump the level or we drop back down and do it with other classes for me. The former will allow us to make progress into the difficulty, but the latter will allow me to cream some completion, and you two some armour if you decide to go with it.

What do you think?

Sounds like a plan to me. Hopefully the first 20 or so levels shouldn't be too much of a problem (famous last words).

Those fucking anchors - I swear they took about 100 Goliath shots each. Still - that's hard sorted. Screw you God, you and your stupid egg ship.

Surprisingly I thought those last two levels were actually easier than 4 or 5 of the ones leading up to it. You look at how many times we went down to last man standing or the times where it was constant pressure on all 4 players for the duration.

Sure the God killing part came close to us fucking up but for a final encounter it's not obnoxiously difficult. 

Of course all this could change in Hardest and Inferno, I've tried both and it's a little out of my comfort zone to solo, you need that coordination of different classes impacting where they hit best. It could all change, might be just a case of acclimatising to it until it feels normal. It's stuff like the greens rushing in that ruin attempts if you don't have a nice tactical way of dealing with it. We witnessed that firsthand last night when storming the beach. That mission ruined us purely down to the mutant ants.